Water line bug

mindw0rk

Question

I have quite alot of experience modding and usually find solution to bugs myself. But now have to ask for help. 

In my Skyrim water surface in some places looks like this: https://images.pub.goha.ru/files2/mindw0rk/Skyrim/waterbug.jpg

I know, some had similar issue and fixed it puting Real Water Two lower. But im not using RWT, im using Pure Waters. And this bug has nothing to do with mods - when I check out all mods, its still there. It also has nothing to do with ini files - I tried to use default ones, its still there. It has nothing to do with Textures or Meshes - renamed both folders, still there. Also when I turn off ENB ingame by pressing F12, its still there. Turning off EnableWater option in ENB GUI made bug less visible, but didnt fix it completely.

I cant figure what can cause it. But I think it has something to do with LoDs. This line is not static. When you get close, it jumps further just when distant trees transform from LoD to normal view. Id really appreciate if somebody helps me with this one.

13 answers to this question

Best to report this to the author of Pure Waters. STEP uses RWT which doesn't have this issue so it has to be related to Pure Waters. On a side note Pure Waters is notorious for having these types of issues, especially in certain weathers and in combination with certain weather mods.

Not enough reflectivity on close water vs LOD water? Reflectivity needs to match on both. Is he using two water types for sea? I also had this issue when I streamlined the water mesh, but I guess it is not that lol.

Well having forgot that PW does not have world edits it cant be that. I just had a look too and there are no problems in my end with that area. This is with a clean installation I did two days ago and only a handful of mods.

It's simply a lod mesh issue that is more noticeable in certain lighting/enb situations. It can't be fully eliminated, only mitigated via HQ LOD Mesh "fixes" or cover-ups. This issue is far more prevalent for people who don't utilize a well constructed ENB Prest or DoF or  fog elements in their Skyrim builds.

Posted Image

Outside of running at a higher than default uGrids, I don't think the lod mesh seam will ever go away for you. Some textures/lighting/ENB/etc will make the seam much more or less noticeable.

The Hi-Res Mesh replacer that Ethatron makes will make the "line" less noticeable but it still doesn't erase it because the game engine has to handle a transition between LOD mesh/textures at some point...and it is never perfect.

Upping uGrids brings on a whole slew of other challenges but it would move the lod transition further into the distance...therefore far less observable.

The same exact issue occurs with the Sky Mesh but there is no one perfect solution for that either because it is wholly dependent on lighting and other factors. The Sky Horizon Mesh "Fix" actually makes it worse on my system, so I don't use it. For others, it helps alleviate the eye-sore of a skyline break.

Edited by Kuldebar

The Hi-Res Mesh replacer that Ethatron makes will make the "line" less noticeable but it still doesn't erase it because the game engine has to handle a transition between LOD mesh/textures at some point...and it is never perfect.

Where I can download HRM replacer?

The water LOD issue:

High Quality LODs by Ethatron from the nexus...he has the download split out into mesh, normal and "color" textures...

A related post on that mod's forum here.

Nice screenie illustrating issue:

Posted Image

The sky LOD issue:

Many ENB Presets have it bundled but you can download the mesh from the ENBDev Forums. I don't use the mesh myself, I simply use the mist and/or DOF effects to mask the ugliness of the skyline break.

The mesh fix works for most people, but not everyone.

https://enbdev.com/enbseries/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1930&p=43226

Like the water line, it really never gets erased completely only adjusted or masked.

My experience with the mesh:

Without Mesh:

https://i.imgur.com/a77lbLi.png

Using Mesh:

https://i.imgur.com/vsJXqLe.png

Your results will vary depending on your ENB preset and quality settings...the screenies above were a bare bones only fixes type ENB Preset I was running.

Edited by Kuldebar

The water LOD issue:

High Quality LODs by Ethatron from the nexus...he has the download split out into mesh, normal and "color" textures...

A related post on that mod's forum here.

Nice screenie illustrating issue:

WKVoaVg.jpg

Hi. I'm the original creator of this screenshot. I wanted to post somewhere that I found a solution to the water LOD line bug. I had to post here because the original thread describing this problem was lost when Prod80 removed his ENB presets from Nexusmods. This is now AFAIK the only thread left on the Internet that describes this problem in detail.

The issue will happen wether you use a water mod like PW or not, so long as you use ENB and possibly distant land LOD replacers meshes or textures. In your ENBSeries.ini (or the ingame menu), scroll all the way down to [WATER]. I found two settings have the most immediate effect on that line, reflection and muddyness. Other settings there might have a lesser effect on it. Experiment with different settings, results will vary depening on which ENB preset you use. I use Prod80's Tranquility ENB and I was for the first time ever able to get rid of that line entirely. Then I installed Pure Waters and was able to get rid of it again, completely.

Edited by Tricky

The sky LOD issue:

Many ENB Presets have it bundled but you can download the mesh from the ENBDev Forums. I don't use the mesh myself, I simply use the mist and/or DOF effects to mask the ugliness of the skyline break.

The mesh fix works for most people, but not everyone.

https://enbdev.com/enbseries/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1930&p=43226

Like the water line, it really never gets erased completely only adjusted or masked.

Just wanted to point out that this link is outdated. If you use it with certain presets and the latest ENB, it will break sky lighting. An updated mesh can be found here:

https://enbdev.com/enbseries/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1930&p=57538&sid=40a110d0b14c8dd4daf7aa65e7990ff8#p57538