Dreadflopps Modular patches

It's all cool. You're trying to point out how important critical thinking may be while reading other confusing guides and I can understand that. I'll take care to keep that in mind the next time I get stuck on another confusing guide someday. What I'm trying to point out this whole time is that I don't want to break my game just for overlooking a small step or so. I just don't want to end up like one of these guys that bring up a problem already addressed by the author and what to do with it simply because I never read or even try to because I expect everything to be on a silver platter like most people you'll often see on Nexus. I just want to be as loyal as possible when following instructions otherwise I'll feel as if I'm walking in the dark or shooting myself in the foot for embracing ignorance. I do this because unless I'm a skilled mod author or has a greater understanding of modding in general, the mod author of the mod I'm using is always the smart one.

It's still giving me errors after redownloading the patch file and rechecking its errors so I followed your instructions afterwards.

Is it like this?

I'm not sure if I'm following it correctly. This is after I checked the 'MLU - aMidianBorn Content.esp' file for errors in TES5Edit. Also, this may be slightly relevant but the current version for my Merge Plugins atm is v2.2.3.0

Now, please make sure that you are using the correct version of the aMidianborn Content.esp file. Check the STEP instructions, https://wiki.step-project.com/AMidianBorn_Book_of_Silence#Recommendations

you should use the Improved Closefaced Helmets version of the plugin.

Next, I'd like you to post another screenshot. Take one of the FormIds that showed an error and enter it in the FormId search box in xEdit.

Example: Your error check reports an error in [0009bc34]. Enter the number without brackets in the FormId search box end press [enter]. xEdit will show the record. Right click anywhere on the detailed record view and choose to hide no conflict rows. Post a screenshot.  For me, it looks like this:

HBAggtx.png

My error check reports no errors. Try to take a screenshot of one of the records that begins with 01, like [01089ee7]. These are especially interesting since they point to [01] Update.esm. The first to digits in the FormId (=record ID) points to the plugin that introduced the FormId (I am simplifying here). These first two digits are changed as the load order changes. They are in hexadecimal and are the reason that you cant have anymore than 255 (=ff) active plugins.

The plugin Update.esm always have the load order number [01] and is interesting cause other records can inject FormIds into it. An example of this is Weapons and Armor Fixes Remade (WAF). WAF introduces new keywords. Each keyword has a FormId. Any mod or patch that uses these new keywords would have to have WAF as a master plugin. To counter that, plugins that uses WAF keywords injects the keywords into Update.esm and Update.esm becomes the master plugin instead. This way, mod and patch authors can make their plugins with WAF keywords whether the user intends to use WAF or not. The important thing here is that the plugin that injects the records must have a keyword section that gets injected. If a mod or patch author forgets to add the keyword section and no other plugin in the load order contains them, you will get an error in [01] Update.esm.

I am not sure that is what is happening here but if you can get a screenshot from a [01] error too it would be helpful in finding out what is going on.

• 2 weeks later...

Now, please make sure that you are using the correct version of the aMidianborn Content.esp file. Check the STEP instructions, https://wiki.step-project.com/AMidianBorn_Book_of_Silence#Recommendations

you should use the Improved Closefaced Helmets version of the plugin.

Next, I'd like you to post another screenshot. Take one of the FormIds that showed an error and enter it in the FormId search box in xEdit.

Example: Your error check reports an error in [0009bc34]. Enter the number without brackets in the FormId search box end press [enter]. xEdit will show the record. Right click anywhere on the detailed record view and choose to hide no conflict rows. Post a screenshot.  For me, it looks like this:

HBAggtx.png

My error check reports no errors. Try to take a screenshot of one of the records that begins with 01, like [01089ee7]. These are especially interesting since they point to [01] Update.esm. The first to digits in the FormId (=record ID) points to the plugin that introduced the FormId (I am simplifying here). These first two digits are changed as the load order changes. They are in hexadecimal and are the reason that you cant have anymore than 255 (=ff) active plugins.

The plugin Update.esm always have the load order number [01] and is interesting cause other records can inject FormIds into it. An example of this is Weapons and Armor Fixes Remade (WAF). WAF introduces new keywords. Each keyword has a FormId. Any mod or patch that uses these new keywords would have to have WAF as a master plugin. To counter that, plugins that uses WAF keywords injects the keywords into Update.esm and Update.esm becomes the master plugin instead. This way, mod and patch authors can make their plugins with WAF keywords whether the user intends to use WAF or not. The important thing here is that the plugin that injects the records must have a keyword section that gets injected. If a mod or patch author forgets to add the keyword section and no other plugin in the load order contains them, you will get an error in [01] Update.esm.

I am not sure that is what is happening here but if you can get a screenshot from a [01] error too it would be helpful in finding out what is going on.

Here's the screenshot of FormId [0009bc34] below. After updating aMidianborn Content add-on mod and rebuilding the merge plugins for MUS patches, I had zero errors exactly like you and Baronaatista tested. I can hardly believe that I did not bother to update the aMidianborn Content add-on mod. It ended up like that because I was updating the STEP mods I installed from last year. While updating it to 2.2.9.2, I tried not to redownload some mods with bigger data to avoid redundancy and save time. During that time, I must have missed the Content add-on.

post-5372-0-27367000-1477196924_thumb.png

Here's the screenshot of FormId [0009bc34] below. After updating aMidianborn Content add-on mod and rebuilding the merge plugins for MUS patches, I had zero errors exactly like you and Baronaatista tested. I can hardly believe that I did not bother to update the aMidianborn Content add-on mod. It ended up like that because I was updating the STEP mods I installed from last year. While updating it to 2.2.9.2, I tried not to redownload some mods with bigger data to avoid redundancy and save time. During that time, I must have missed the Content add-on.

Things like that happen, installing a big mod list isn't easy, there are many things that can go wrong. Glad it worked out.

I made some changes to keep my sanity:

* Removed SR:LE support. Many SR:LE users use the SRLE: Extended guides. Since my time is very limited I decided to keep these packs as proper STEP packs. All instructions and patches for SR:LE are kept as unsupported instructions and patches. They won't get any more updates.

* Removed the modularity of the Dovahkiin pack. Ordinator and CACO are the only supported skill mods. The other skill mods instructions and patches are kept as unsupported instructions and patches. They won't get any more updates.

* Updated the patches.

* Removed Warmonger and WAA. I do not use them.

* Removed RotE. I do not use it. Advanced Adversary Encounters - Ultimate Edition may be added later, but not until the guides are updated to Special Edition.

* Updated the modular patches page with the kind help of baronaatista

With these updates done, I will be able to keep the packs up to date and it will hopefully make the steps to update the guides to Skyrim: Special Edition easier. With the removal of all modularity and removal of mods that conflict with a lot (RotE, Warmonger) I will, in the future,  be able to share proper patches for the packs that doesn't require any merging. I plan to share cross-pack patches too which means that the users of the packs won't have to merge anything. The modular patches will still be available since this is how I make patches.

Edited by dreadflopp
  • +1 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Been a while, computer was having an overheating issue a couple weeks back and I never was able to take it to get checked out... on a journey through some Canadian cities right now with the GF, thinking I'm gonna wait until NMM (NMO?) gets updated and hopefully we get SKSESE(!? Lol).

Very much looking forward to an updated Skyrim... was so close to achieving my 'perfect vision' before, and this update has taken care of some of the few remaining issues I had, namely z-fighting and rain occlusion (or whatever you call it).

Hi, I got frustrated and scrapped a past skyrim install in favor of STEP and of all the packs here you've made patches for. They seem to be very close to how I had my last setup. I had some confusion with some of the patches between the packs but it seems pretty straightforward once you start putting all of it together. Thanks for the work compiling all of these and especially sorting out the leveled lists. In my past install I've had problems with things like CACO's junk potions selling for a fortune and I think it was my bad bashed patch. Unfortunately your LOOT priority makes no sense anymore.

I'm running into some problems with the new LOOT priority values. Priority is now handled from -127 to 127 and has separate entries for priority and global priority. All priority information in step is outdated and needs a simple conversion by someone who knows what exactly they're doing. I'm looking through all of them on a notepad file and see some repeated entries for what looks like patches and the STEP patches. Are all of the patches eventually merged?

While typing this I decided that I was just going to find and old version of LOOT and use that for STEP/your STEP packs... seems easier for me at the moment. I'm sure I won't be the only confused person in the few days to come.

Been a while, computer was having an overheating issue a couple weeks back and I never was able to take it to get checked out... on a journey through some Canadian cities right now with the GF, thinking I'm gonna wait until NMM (NMO?) gets updated and hopefully we get SKSESE(!? Lol).

Very much looking forward to an updated Skyrim... was so close to achieving my 'perfect vision' before, and this update has taken care of some of the few remaining issues I had, namely z-fighting and rain occlusion (or whatever you call it).

Nice being on a vacation, not fleeing the country are you :)

Yeah, I too was so close to achieving the perfect epic modded Skyrim setup. So close...

The first version of the script extender was released only two weeks after FO4 was released, hopefully it'll emerge soon for Skyrim SE. Wrye Bash can be used as mod manager for now. I have no idea why so many people here dislikes it, it's a good stable mod manager that allows you to install / uninstall mods from anywhere in the install order, just like in MO. It doesn't have a mod tracker or Fomod installer but there are workarounds which basically is using NMM for that.

I won't have time to play or mod until mid_February anyway, busy learning c++. By then we hopefully have SKSE and a proper mod manager :)

Hi, I got frustrated and scrapped a past skyrim install in favor of STEP and of all the packs here you've made patches for. They seem to be very close to how I had my last setup. I had some confusion with some of the patches between the packs but it seems pretty straightforward once you start putting all of it together. Thanks for the work compiling all of these and especially sorting out the leveled lists. In my past install I've had problems with things like CACO's junk potions selling for a fortune and I think it was my bad bashed patch. Unfortunately your LOOT priority makes no sense anymore.

I'm running into some problems with the new LOOT priority values. Priority is now handled from -127 to 127 and has separate entries for priority and global priority. All priority information in step is outdated and needs a simple conversion by someone who knows what exactly they're doing. I'm looking through all of them on a notepad file and see some repeated entries for what looks like patches and the STEP patches. Are all of the patches eventually merged?

While typing this I decided that I was just going to find and old version of LOOT and use that for STEP/your STEP packs... seems easier for me at the moment. I'm sure I won't be the only confused person in the few days to come.

Hi! Glad you like the packs. The patches are up to date but LOOT must have been updated very recently. I don't have any time to fix this right now. I was hoping that the next update of the pack would be to Skyrim SE. I won't have any modding time until Christmas. After that I'll be busy until mid-febuary. By then, as I mentioned above, we hopefully have SKSE and more mods for Skyrim SE.

I think you should , as you said, use the old LOOT. Even if you make sorting rules for the new LOOT, more things may have changed in it causing mods to be out of order.

Hi! Glad you like the packs. The patches are up to date but LOOT must have been updated very recently. I don't have any time to fix this right now. I was hoping that the next update of the pack would be to Skyrim SE. I won't have any modding time until Christmas. After that I'll be busy until mid-febuary. By then, as I mentioned above, we hopefully have SKSE and more mods for Skyrim SE.

I think you should , as you said, use the old LOOT. Even if you make sorting rules for the new LOOT, more things may have changed in it causing mods to be out of order.

I used the old version of LOOT and I've been playing for a few days. The instructions were sometimes a little unclear, especially between different packs but I'm not sure how to improve them as you're adapting to the updates from many different mods. I made a lot of tweaks and added some mods. I feel like the leveled lists are a little off with You Hunger as I'm still getting a lot of food in sacks. Aside from that everything feels very good. This is much better than what I was able to do myself. Thank you for the work that you've put into this project. I'll be playing this for a very long time to come. (Especially with me still being level 1 after 2 play sessions... I believe I have my leveling rates a bit too low.)

Edited by protoplm

The level rates I share are the ones I use and they are balanced imo. But try to raise them if they are to low to you.

When I do the next update of the packs I'll fix the unclear instructions, but glad you figured it out.

Parts of You Hunger gets overwritten. It's a tiresome mod to patch with lots of records and the possible patches may break other mods if they aren't properly maintained and updated. You Hunger still removes lots of food, most of it is still working. Its leveled lists should be OK though, does it have a relev tag?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

The level rates I share are the ones I use and they are balanced imo. But try to raise them if they are to low to you.

When I do the next update of the packs I'll fix the unclear instructions, but glad you figured it out.

Parts of You Hunger gets overwritten. It's a tiresome mod to patch with lots of records and the possible patches may break other mods if they aren't properly maintained and updated. You Hunger still removes lots of food, most of it is still working. Its leveled lists should be OK though, does it have a relev tag?

The leveling rates were my own fault, I over tweaked them. The lists you provided were really helpful and I corrected a few values. I missed your personal files the first time. I had the slower early leveling multipliers from Better Leveling and wasn't accounting for that as much.

You Hunger does not have a relev tag, only delev. Just trying to learn a bit about the tags, I tested it out with the relev tag as well on a new save. I think at the end of the bashed patch it says what tags were actually used, and You Hunger didn't take any relev actions. My in game test showed no difference either. I'm not worried about it though. I was wanting a bit more food in my game than what the mod aims for anyways.

The leveling rates were my own fault, I over tweaked them. The lists you provided were really helpful and I corrected a few values. I missed your personal files the first time. I had the slower early leveling multipliers from Better Leveling and wasn't accounting for that as much.

You Hunger does not have a relev tag, only delev. Just trying to learn a bit about the tags, I tested it out with the relev tag as well on a new save. I think at the end of the bashed patch it says what tags were actually used, and You Hunger didn't take any relev actions. My in game test showed no difference either. I'm not worried about it though. I was wanting a bit more food in my game than what the mod aims for anyways.

Sorry, that's a typo. The tag should be delev. You know iNeed has an option to remove food?