Strange engine behavior with default gamefiles or at the limits of gamefiles

Farlo

Question

As the title says, when I run BOSS through MO it puts everything in the correct order but Skyrim.esm at the top is left blank.  If I manually check it off, save, and re-boot MO it stays checked, but if I try BOSS again, it goes away.  I'm having some other issues figuring out which mod is giving me random CTDs, but besides that the game still loads and most mods seem to be working even with the ESM left un-checked.  

All my mods are updated and I'm using MO v0.11.2, but I'm still wondering if the empty checkbox is something more than just a visual bug.  Anyone have any ideas?

Hmm need to do more testing there is definitely some weird behavior going on when using 256 active mods, internally 00 and 01 and FF are still being used for the default files, so although loaded the extra 3 mods are not correctly referenced by the games system, I have no idea how they are working at all. I'll need to design some mods for specific testing.

Another fun fact if there are already 256 or more esp/esm in the data directory Skyrim Workshop will not download or update any mods, doesn't matter if they are active or not.

Very intresting behavior. Are you sure Skyrim.esm, et.al. are actually eating up a slot?