Site Downtime

z929669

At approximately 16:00 Central US time on May 11th, our service provider had a brief power failure that resulted in an improper shutdown of our server and corruption of all site databases. We have been able to restore the site to its state as of 00:27 Central US time on May 11th, resulting in a loss of nearly 16 hours of site activity. This is relatively minor, given the time frame of the data loss; however, there will undoubtedly be members that have lost PMs, posts or even threads in some cases. Any new content created during this period will have been lost.

We ask all members to please try to replicate your content as best you can in order to regain lost traction, and we apologize for the inconvenience.

Although we have enhanced our ability to recover more quickly from these kinds of catastrophic failures in the future, STEP does not pay the high hosting costs required of 100% system redundancy and transparent recovery. Therefore, these kinds of failures --albeit less downtime-- are still possible but will remain very, very rare.

Thanks for your patience during this downtime!

~ STEP team

PS: big thanks to stoppingby4now for spending hours on the data recovery!

Glad to see we're back in one piece (as much as possible in any case). I was going a little crazy at work, so I did some network sleuthing that led me to KnownHost's forum post about the power failure. (I may or may not have an excess of free time... *cough*)

Thanks for your work in restoring everything to its former glory  :;):

This is ridiculous! I had to actually play Skyrim instead of reading and posting about it!

I know! All that downtime, and now I'm at level 14 on my new character!

Maybe we should go down more often to allow everyone a chance to actually play. :)

Glad to see we're back in one piece (as much as possible in any case). I was going a little crazy at work, so I did some network sleuthing that led me to KnownHost's forum post about the power failure. (I may or may not have an excess of free time... *cough*)

Thanks for your work in restoring everything to its former glory  :;):

Haha. Great choice of word; sleuthing. Love it.

Pleasure!

Where's my cookie?

Maybe we should go down more often to allow everyone a chance to actually play. :)

That would be neat, LOL.BTW, why is everything on the wiki italicized? It also seems like if you work in sourcecode on the forum, that is italicized as well.

I'm not either. IF you're using Firefox go to Tools -> Options and then go into your Content Tab and click Advanced on the fonts and colors settings and see if you're

A.) Replacing the set fonts of any website with a font of your own

B.) If one of those fonts is an italic fontspace.

Welcome back! I knew I came to this site often, but didn't realize just how often until the last couple days.

Like others, I actually played some and got a character going in Requiem that might actually make it to double digit levels.

The Best to you all and thanks for the hard work; it is appreciated by many.

Gary

Archived