Wiki User Guide

DoubleYou

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

maybe a note on that. 

Something along the lines of...

In your main user namespace it is custom to reserve this page to hold links to your pages as well as hold personal work and ideas.

Headertabs are an acceptable means of organizing content.

Ill add a contact list of people to contact if someone needs help.

I just found DoubleYou's wiki page and he has some very nice snippets of code that should be easier to find than that.

I'm starting to use mine as a testing area to format the page and then move it to the main page once I'm happy with it.

Can't see any reason to use it in a different way.

Are there any limits to page numbers or page sizes that we will need to be mindful of? Can't imagine there are but you never know unless you ask.

There is no 'standard' use of User namespace. As long as what is created there is not offensive, then people just use this space as a sandbox for whatever. Lots of people use it for testing wiki-related code as well as for personal stuff.

Rather than our users spending too much time delving into and elaborating their User space, it is more useful for people to contribute to the main areas of the wiki, so encouraging focus on the main namespace is essential. I think it might even be warranted to create a namespace for user-contributed guides or just move these guides into the main namespace. People are just wary of using the main namespace for some reason. There are lots of guides that need reorganization and content updates. The Hardware and Troubleshooting guides need work. We encourage completely new guides or even somewhat redundant guides.

New general articles of interest relating to modding in general are also welcome.

A wiki is intended for collaboration and sharing rather than personal 'site' development in User namespace.

Categories are a good option but the listing pahger for them is a bit ... bland. It may confuse some thinking they have drifted into somewhere they shouldn't be.

I felt like I had done that the first time I went to category list page.

On another note, I'm compiling what I optimistically call the definitive INI definition page and I have just now seen the ENB Settings page. Beautiful layout, very elegant and easy to navigate.

Should I endeavour to match that layout to ensure a wiki wide look?

Edited by GrantSP

Categories are a good option but the listing pahger for them is a bit ... bland. It may confuse some thinking they have drifted into somewhere they shouldn't be.

I felt like I had done that the first time I went to category list page.

On another note, I'm compiling what I optimistically call the definitive INI definition page and I have just now seen the ENB Settings page. Beautiful layout, very elegant and easy to navigate.

Should I endeavour to match that layout to ensure a wiki wide look?

I am glad you mentioned that ;)

We are having a discussion about that on another thread

EDIT: ... and Category pages are not necessarily pretty, but they DO follow a very simple layout and are very easy to navigate. Try clicking on the category at the bottom of any guide page, mod page or pack page ... it is really one of the easiest ways to get at info around the wiki. Note that we also have subcategories and that the ENBseries INI guide is sub-categorized under INI Guides and that Settings pages are each  sub-sub-categorized under that as INI Settings.

The H1 and H2 headers still need some work. I was experimenting on the ENB Guide because I thought it odd that the main headers were H2 tags and not H1 tags. So I changed the top two sections and this is the result: https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:ENB Ugly! This is worth fixing and doing it right because most users are going to assume that the H1 tag is the top tier when writing wiki pages...because they're suppose to be...not H2 tags.

That H1 header needs some white space above it and an underline that reaches across the width of the page like the H2 tags. The H2 tags are fine but I think the should be de-emphasized but adjusting the width of the line to only around 50% of the page. This reflects what I have done in my Mass Effect Guide to emphasize clear structure to the headings rather than simply relying on font size and weight. You can see that the H1, H2, and H3 tags all have different widths for their underline which visually structures them into a sub-section of the main section they reside in. The font size and weight changes (reduces) as normal as you go deeper into the structure (though I've customized those as well from the defaults).

The only issue with changing the H1 tag in the CSS would be that I believe you guys are using that for the page title at the top. A solution to this and which would be more proper coding is to assign a class to the page titles so that nothing can interfere with them.

Element Class

H1.pageTile{
}

or...

Generic Class

.pageTitle{
}

Either one works but the first one would only be able to apply to H1 tags and nothing else.

As a general rule, avoid using H1 tags ... they are not ideal in most situations, particularly when mixed with H2 (H1 are used for page titles I think). Just use those for HeaderTabs pages. The H2 underscores are better for main headings.

We could make a change to that, but it would break way too much on the wiki. s4n set it up how he wants it, and I don't want to make such a significant change without his buy in and support for all of the changes that would need to come after.

EDIT: I went ahead and increased the H1 top margin, but no underline. I also increased the font size of H2 a bit. I think the result works quite well without changing much that currently exists. Unlike most other pages, the overhauled DDSopt guide uses H1 headings simply because that guide uses so many heading hierarchies due to the need to handle all of the DDSopt UI elements that need to be addressed ... I wanted an additional layer of headings to get it to work out right. Other guides just don't drill down that much, so H2 works well as a top heading. Let me know if this is better.

EDIT2: I reverted the ENB Guide edits to headings you made ... no offense intended. The real issue left is the H1 underline I think. s4n had a reason for not using it, and I will trust that his reasoning is sound.

As a general rule, avoid using H1 tags ... they are not ideal in most situations, particularly when mixed with H2 (H1 are used for page titles I think). Just use those for HeaderTabs pages. The H2 underscores are better for main headings.

We could make a change to that, but it would break way too much on the wiki. s4n set it up how he wants it, and I don't want to make such a significant change without his buy in and support for all of the changes that would need to come after.

EDIT: I went ahead and increased the H1 top margin, but no underline. I also increased the font size of H2 a bit. I think the result works quite well without changing much that currently exists. Unlike most other pages, the overhauled DDSopt guide uses H1 headings simply because that guide uses so many heading hierarchies due to the need to handle all of the DDSopt UI elements that need to be addressed ... I wanted an additional layer of headings to get it to work out right. Other guides just don't drill down that much, so H2 works well as a top heading. Let me know if this is better.

EDIT2: I reverted the ENB Guide edits to headings you made ... no offense intended. The real issue left is the H1 underline I think. s4n had a reason for not using it, and I will trust that his reasoning is sound.

>_ Haha!  :lol: I'm just kidding around. But seriously, page titles should really be set up in a class and that class only used for that purpose. So the page title would be a simple PageTitleHere. Done! That doesn't mess with the H1, thus, leaving them for what they're meant to be used for later in the page structure. Using a heading tag for the page title is an old trick and the "lazy man's design", as my instructor would say.

I can deal as it's the same result on the TOC, it was just annoying me in the coding since I've been taught differently. This will need to be mentioned in this Wiki Guide somewhere though, because that is not standard design and if anyone comes along that knows the standard way of using headings they will get undesired results.

I have no accredited web design teaching but I'm with @Tech on this one.

It does make it strange to have the page with two H1 elements, one as the title and one as the 1st heading. I've just skipped H1 and made my 1st headings H2, but that's avoiding the issue.

But as I am not the one that will be making any changes, what ever decision is made though, the wiki should make this clear.