Wiki User Guide

DoubleYou

The Wiki standard reserves the H1 heading for page titles so all content within the page should start with H2 headings. This actually makes a lot of sense because the page title should be the biggest element at the top of the page and in some ways is like a chapter title. I think mediawiki lets you use H1 (=title=), but I have used at least one wiki system that doesn't recognize a single equals sign as valid markup.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Wiki_markup

• A single = is styled as the article title and should not be used within an article.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh you didn't know that… I thought that was common knowledge on the wiki but that is the reason why I pushed this guide to be worked on once again.

Nope, I've had a hand in probably 80% of the Guides on the wiki as well as the STEP Guide, but I've never really dived into the wiki syntax too far. I've chalked it up to be too much trouble to learning the ins and outs so I've stuck to editing and creating content. The finer points were usually added by others. Just recently have I learned more about it.

The Wiki standard reserves the H1 heading for page titles so all content within the page should start with H2 headings. This actually makes a lot of sense because the page title should be the biggest element at the top of the page and in some ways is like a chapter title. I think mediawiki lets you use H1 (=title=), but I have used at least one wiki system that doesn't recognize a single equals sign as valid markup.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Wiki_markup

This.

Thanks for finding that.

Nope, I've had a hand in probably 80% of the Guides on the wiki as well as the STEP Guide, but I've never really dived into the wiki syntax too far. I've chalked it up to be too much trouble to learning the ins and outs so I've stuck to editing and creating content. The finer points were usually added by others. Just recently have I learned more about it.

Wiki syntax is actually fairly simple at the basic level and (z may hit me on the head for revealing this) a lot of Wiki software lets you mix 'n match wiki markup with HTML. About all you really need to know for basic editing is on the page I linked and there's not a lot to it. Straight tables are super simple. It can get a bit complex if you want to do more than simple markup, but I'd guess 90% of Wiki markup uses a dozen or so elements.

Wiki syntax is actually fairly simple at the basic level and (z may hit me on the head for revealing this) a lot of Wiki software lets you mix 'n match wiki markup with HTML. About all you really need to know for basic editing is on the page I linked and there's not a lot to it. Straight tables are super simple. It can get a bit complex if you want to do more than simple markup, but I'd guess 90% of Wiki markup uses a dozen or so elements.

Wasn't talking about the basic stuff. I have that down. But when you get into categories, templates (I can make basic ones), data manipulation, etc then that is where I leave it in more capable hands.

@Greg

Sounds like you are familiar with wiki maintenance. Feel free to contribute to our wiki in any way you wish. We can always use more help ;)

PS: We do use some extensions that allow custom CSS and the like. HTML generally works in the wiki, and we use it to some extent (complex lists are a good example). Our wiki is largely powered by Semantic MediaWiki.

• 5 months later...

I want to mention text-color standardization for use with our wiki skin to avoid use of 'bad' text colors and to increase consistency on the wiki.

We should probably create template keywords for use with Template:Fc, but this works just as well for now:

#9eb8ee (blue-ish) - Call out text relating to addition, enhancement, or confirmation.
#78c888 (green-ish) - Call out text relating to fixes, functional, or relevant.
#ff7878 (red-ish) - Call out text relating to removal, non-functional, or irrelevant.
#c0c840 (yellow-ish) - Call out text relating to issues or unknowns
#e6b69e (peach-ish) - Call out important text relating to special instructions
#dddddd (white-ish) - Call out important text (alternative to above)

Need to update all current guides and other public-intended content.

• 1 month later...

Would you fine gentlemen consider placing some sort of indicator on the mods that are included in the STEP Core/STEP Extended patch?  

Example:   DG  You use this to indicate Dawnguard as a requirement.  Could you add a CP = Core patch  EP = Extended Patch?

or 

Wrye Bash18px-Wikilink.png you use this 18px-Wikilink.png to indicate a wiki page and a link.  Perhaps you could add something to that section.

I think it would be a nice addition.