A couple of (more or less)game breaking problems with SkyUI!

Halde

Question

Hi all!

So I've have finally completed optmizing, cleaning and modding Skyrim. Even found an ENB that my computer could pull off. But now another problem as arissen. SkyUI is acting up. 

Whenever I load my game(a newly created save), I get an error that says the Paryrus.ini settings is wrong. This makes the "Mod Configuration" menu in SkyUI unaccesable(the menu is there, but it's completly empty). Furthermore, this causes and about 3 second delay whenever I open the Inventory(Magic & Items), whenever I open a chest, or an inventory of a killed foe. Bascially when I use my menu.

While I know that a setting in Skyrim.ini is called Papyrus, I don't think that's the problem. I've deleted the .ini's to let Steam reinstall them on launch with no luck. I've obviously also tried removing and reinstalling SkyUI. I've tried reinstalling SKSE(I use the alpha version). 

When I googled, I couldn't find any definitive answers. I found one guy whose fix for it didn't work for me(https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/1063862-papyrus-ini-settings-are-invalid/). How he fixed it is on page 5.

Also, the mod "Categorized favorites menu"(a SkyUI dependant mod. It even use the SkyUI template), still worked even though I had uninstalled SkyUI. While I don't think that this is the reason for the "bug", it could be a clue help to diagnose the issue.

Since this is a forum with a lot of very knowledge people, I kinda hoped this problem was "run-of-the-mill" for some of you:)

~Sincerely

Halde

Edited by Halde

There isn't any need typically to change or add to the four default [Papyrus] parameters in Skyrim.ini. If you want to get a log of Papyrus script activity you need to change the values of three parameters from 0 to 1 (and then back to 0 when you are finished creating logs), but otherwise there is usually no need for changing or adding more parameters. There is a lot of erroneous information at various sites and posts in the forums on these sites that suggest making significant changes to the [Papyrus] parameters section of Skyrim.ini; you will find some useful posts on the forums here about these parameters including pointers to Bethesda website information on what these Skyrim.ini parameters actually do.

SkyUI 4 added a favorites menu capability, and the Categorized Favorites Mod was removed from the STEP guide since it is no longer needed.

I think I might have a little unclear. It was SkyUI that came with the error message. It was not an "ingame"(vanilla) message. And I'm fairly sure it doesn't actually have anything to do with the Papyrus settings in the .inis. I've read that it has something to do with corrupted saves, although I made a new game, when I read that that might be the reason, little did it help.

I will. I read this fix on the site of SkyUI troubleshooting:

[Papyrus]iMinMemoryPageSize=128iMaxMemoryPageSize=512iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes=76800

Yet when I tried it, all it did was mess up computers resolution upon launch. Furthermore, the game froze when the Skyrim symbol appeared in the initial menu(before the actual menu appeared)

Well I've also written a post on nexus forum, and attempted to contact the author, "schlangster", though he/she hasen't gotten back to yet. 

There was another "fix"(.ini tweak). To write bInvalidateOlderFiles=1 in the Skyrim.ini under Archive. This also did absolutely nothing...

• Delete skyrim.ini and skyrimprefs.ini in Documents/My Games/Skyrim
  • Launch TESV.exe from actual Skyrim directory and NOT through Mod Organizer. This will launch the game in windowed 640x480 mode. Exit once loaded.
  • Launch SkyrimLauncher.exe from actual Skyrim directory and NOT through Mod Organizer. It will go through the initial detection of video card and apply a preset. Accept your preset and exit the launcher.
  • Copy your newly generated ini files from Documents/My Games/Skyrim to ModOrganizer/profiles/
  • Launch SKSE through Mod Organizer with SkyUI installed and activated. You should not experience the problem.

I will try that!

One thing though. The 2nd step. Is TESV.exe the launcher that steam use? Because om my previous tries with deleting the .ini's I have launched it through Steam.

EDIT: sadly this didn't work @DoubleYou:( I should note that when I launched TESV.exe it loaded my preset settings and launched as normal, exactly like the Skyrim Launcher does.

Edited by Halde

I've also tried an older version of SKSE(the not alpha one), but with no such luck. I cannot believe that such a popular mod is so bugged, or that my Skyrim has such a fundamentally skewered setup. I reinstalled the game over night as well... But not a God damn thing....

I don't know if this actually means anything, but after trying; removing SkyUI, reinstalling SKSE, played(till the prisoners get off the cart, saved) reinstalling SkyUI, not moving it down the left list in Mod Organizer, the Papyrus error didn't pop up till after the game was loaded. Until now, it has popped up right after the loading screen appeared(or even before).

Would there be anything to suggest that reinstalling ALL my mods is the answer? I have about 20-30 non-STEP mods, all of which I install after STEP. Some of them rely on SkyUI. Maybe some of these mods(or the STEP mods that require SkyUI) is messing something up with some setting(clearly not the .ini settings though) that causes SkyUI to give me this error. Or could it be something that causes Steam to overwrite some SKSE scripts? The only manual change I made in Steam regarding Skyrim was turning off SteamCloud, because it was annyoing that it kept loading my old saves(saves that are probably corrupted in one way or the other).

Edited by Halde

From my own experience, and from many others, I don't think SkyUI is that buggy. If you untick all your mods and just load the game with SkyUI only on a fresh game, does that work? Steam doesnt overwrite SKSE in anyway, especialy since using MO doesnt place the files in the steam folder like a manual install. I am using a modified STEP setup, along with a number of non STEP mods, current non beta SKSE, and have had no problems with SkyUI.

I am curious now though, could you use the spoiler tag and paste your ini contents from the 'Documents/My Games/Skyrim' as well as from inside MO?

Well I have changed around on my .ini settings so many times. I'm not sure you will get anything out of it. And I don't know how to make spoiler tags. If you can tell me, sure. But do you want the default .ini that the Skyrim Launcher create? Because from the defaults that I get, the only setting I've messed around with, are the STEP recommended ones, and the ones required for ENB's. Furthermore, I've tried using .ini tweaks to fix this SkyUI problem. These tweaks are:

[Papyrus]fUpdateBudgetMS=1.2fExtraTaskletBudgetMS=1.2fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS=500.0 ;Xenon and PS3 use 2000.0iMinMemoryPageSize=128iMaxMemoryPageSize=512iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes=76800bEnableLogging=0bEnableTrace=0bLoadDebugInformation=0bEnableProfiling=0

This is one of the proposed fixes to the SkyUI Papyrus error. My default .ini only have:

[Papyrus]
fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS=500.0
bEnableLogging=0
bEnableTrace=0
bLoadDebugInformation=0

The other tweak is this:
[Archive]bInvalidateOlderFiles=1

Normally I would have nothing under Archive(Archive wouldn't even exist in my .ini) but after I've optimized my textures with DDSopt, I have these:
[Archive]
sResourceArchiveList=Skyrim - Misc.bsa, Skyrim - Shaders.bsa, Skyrim - Textures.bsa, Skyrim - Interface.bsa, Skyrim - Animations.bsa, Skyrim - Meshes.bsa, Skyrim - Sounds.bsa
sResourceArchiveList2=Skyrim - Voices.bsa, Skyrim - VoicesExtra.bsa

So other than those tweaks, the only ones I've tried is the ENB related ones(different ones, depedant on the ENB version I've tried), and the STEP recommended ones.

I hope this help, and if you tell me how to make spoiler tags, I can post both my complete default .ini's.

According to this(https://github.com/schlangster/skyui/wiki/SkyUI-Errors) article, written by the mod author schlangster(mod author of SkyUI), the only two instances in which one would get the Papyrus .ini error, is if one have tweaked ones [Papyrus] .ini settings(which I have never done) or if ones SKSE scripts is overwritten by something. Even though I've never tried messing with [Papyrus] .ini, I still tried using the so called "fixes". Also, I've tried reinstalling SKSE many times, and even tried an older version(the one on the site, that is not in alpha).

If your preset loaded exactly as before deleting the ini files, are you sure you're deleting them? Is Steam placing the files back in?

Well whenever I load the preset, I always go into the "Option" menu of the launcher, and hit the "Default"(when the launcher set a preset, it set this preset from my integrate GPU, instead of my dedicated GPU, and my integrated is much crappier). The change between the preset the launcher set, and the preset after hitting "Default" is that it goes from "Low settings" to "Ultra settings".

But, no I don't think Steam is placing them in, because I severed the link between Skyrim and SteamCloud. SteamCloud kept backing up my old corrupted saves, which was annoying as hell. I have also deleted the Skyrim_default.ini a couple of times, to let Steam retrieve a new Skyrim_default.ini(by verifying the game files from within Steam), just in case I changed the settings there as well, which I know I tried at one point. 

I should say, that I have now deleted all my mods, and tomorrow I'm gonna reinstall the whole damn thing, In hopes that THAT might do something. If not, I don't know... **** the pain away...

Edited by Halde