A couple of (more or less)game breaking problems with SkyUI!

Halde

Question

Hi all!

So I've have finally completed optmizing, cleaning and modding Skyrim. Even found an ENB that my computer could pull off. But now another problem as arissen. SkyUI is acting up. 

Whenever I load my game(a newly created save), I get an error that says the Paryrus.ini settings is wrong. This makes the "Mod Configuration" menu in SkyUI unaccesable(the menu is there, but it's completly empty). Furthermore, this causes and about 3 second delay whenever I open the Inventory(Magic & Items), whenever I open a chest, or an inventory of a killed foe. Bascially when I use my menu.

While I know that a setting in Skyrim.ini is called Papyrus, I don't think that's the problem. I've deleted the .ini's to let Steam reinstall them on launch with no luck. I've obviously also tried removing and reinstalling SkyUI. I've tried reinstalling SKSE(I use the alpha version). 

When I googled, I couldn't find any definitive answers. I found one guy whose fix for it didn't work for me(https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/1063862-papyrus-ini-settings-are-invalid/). How he fixed it is on page 5.

Also, the mod "Categorized favorites menu"(a SkyUI dependant mod. It even use the SkyUI template), still worked even though I had uninstalled SkyUI. While I don't think that this is the reason for the "bug", it could be a clue help to diagnose the issue.

Since this is a forum with a lot of very knowledge people, I kinda hoped this problem was "run-of-the-mill" for some of you:)

~Sincerely

Halde

Edited by Halde

So removed all my mods, reinstalled Skyrim, deleted the entire "skyrim" folder in Documents/my games, deleted the entire "mods" folder in ModOrganizer, only to create a new. Then after I had redownloaded and reinstalled Skyrim, I reinstalled SKSE into the common/Skyrim folder. 

I then started installing the mods according to STEP(skipped a few). When I got to SkyUI, I launched the game, and tried making a new game. The very first thing that happens after I press "New" in the Skyrim menu, is that I get the Papyrus error. So I have only about 30 mods installed(all the mods under "Fixes"(except Guard Dialogue Overhaul)) and more than half of the mods under "Interface" upto SkyUI.

I had also installed the version 121212 of ENB(Injector version). I didn't launch this when I launched Skyrim(due to not having a preset). I also had the optimized version of the Vanilla textures installed(DDSopt optimized).

What the heck is going on with this mod? It has worked in the past...

Edited by Halde

I MIGHT HAVE SOLVED IT OMG OMG OMG.

I deeply apologize for that childish outrage of happiness. I don't know if this is gonna sound odd or not. It seems, that it is the DDSopt optimized Vanilla, DLC(DG-HF-DB) and HiRes DLC textures, that has caused this problem. Just now, I turned them off, and I didn't get the error(well at least not right away, I closed the game shortly after it loaded, and the error usually pops up right after the loading screen appears). 

To give some detail about my optimized files. I've optimized them EXACTLY as STEP guides one to do it. Since I use Mod Organizer, I did not re-archive them, I just threw them into the mods folder as Loose Files. That's pretty much it. I have no idea why(my deep technical knowledge is basically non-existant when it comes to computing), but for some reason, these textures messed up my SkyUI, and gave me the error 4, the dreaded .ini Papyrus error. This can officially be marked as resolved. I will however, ask anyone if they know why this is. Furthermore, I would really like to use these optimized textures(although I will pick SkyUI over them), so if anyone can come up with any reason as to why these two "mods" interact this way with eachother, please reply to this.

All input is appreciated!

~Sincerely

Halde 

Apparently. Again, I didn't keep the game open for long, but before I disabled the optimized textures, I got the error instantly, when the loading screen appeared. Now it didn't come at all(like 30 seconds into the intro cart sequence).

Although I forgot to mention the following. I did have the so called "fixes" in the Skyrim.ini files for this error written in. But, I also launched the game with the .ini fixes and with the optimized textures, and got the error. But then when I switched the optimized textures off, still with the .ini fixes written in, the error disappeared. 

I will try to let the game roll past character creation tomorrow and report back, to see if the error will in fact appear(at least at that point).

Edited by Halde

Ok it is in the affirmative. The DDSopt optimized Loose Files of the Vanilla(I don't about the DLc or HiRes DLC, but I imagine that it will have the same effect) textures is the cause of my Papyrus error. I have no idea how or why, but I suppose that's something an experienced modder might now. The MCM menu is back on, although I don't know if the delay on menus is gone, but I can only assume that that as gone away as well.

Since I removed the files from the Working folder(referering to the DDSopt quickstart guide) I don't think I can compress them in a switch swoop. Maybe I will try to reoptimize the whole thing, and then compress them, to see if they then won't cause me this error.

Edited by Halde

Great to hear you may have solved this. Not to burst the bubble, but I dont think the issue was down to textures (atleast not alone). I am no expert, but I dont see how a texture file can interact in such a way to cause a Papyrus error.

Well, you may be right. But when I turn even 1 of them on in the left list in Mod Organizer, the error reappears(I have only tried with the "mod" called "STD" which is the Vanilla textures, and not with any of he DLC's). Another option I suppose, is that it is an error with Mod Organizer. Or an error with SkyUI. Perhaps it depends in some way that the Vanilla and DLC textures are .bsa, and not Loose Files? I have absolutely no idea, as my technical knowledge on this is minimal.

STD is the name of a folder of loose files which contains optimized versions of textures from Skyrim - textures.bsa. It can be archived and installed or can be installed without archiving first. I've never heard of anyone having SkyUI problems when using these textures.

Was the folder of optimized textures compared with the screenshot in the DDSopt guide that shows the number of files, number of folders, and size of the folder that should result from the optimization?

Here is a more detailed view of the contents of the STD folder:

Posted Image

No I have them as Loose Files. In the guide, it is stated that Mod Organizer users can just add them as Loose Files, to skip the lengthy step of making archiving them. 

Well, my STD folder certainly doesn't look like that. Here is a written version of the structure:

-STD

-grass

-interface

-lodsettings

-meshes

-music

-scripts

-shadersfx

-sound

-strings

-textures

in the "texture" folder, it seems to more or less match the folder you screenshottet @Kelmych, except that mine is organized alphabetically, when viewed with Windows Explorer. If I use a program like TreeSize, it is layed out like in the screenshot.

Edited by Halde

You got something else besides optimized textures in your STD folder! There should only be textures, and you got scripts, interface, meshes, everything! No wonder that was the problem. You must have unpacked all your BSAs into there, and they must be overwriting parts of SkyUI or something.

The order (alphabetical or other) of the folders in the screenshot doesn't matter, I was just suggesting a comparison of the contents. What matters is what DoubleYou mentioned. Delete all the folders in STD except "textures".