The Skyrim Distance Overhaul (by Grieche)

MadWizard25

That mod has been deleted from Nexus.

https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/3389

Got any mirrors?

Wow... another one? This does not bode well for the Nexus. I was really looking forward to trying this. I have a feeling that with the increased attention on modding Dark0ne will need to address this issue.
Honestly, without seeing the offending authors infraction... it's hard to say one way or the other. I understand the need to police users, and yes sometimes they get a little happy with the ban hammer but for all we know there was good cause.

However, I would think that people knowing the Nexus rules and heavy handedness would tone down their responses/comments appropriately to avoid it.

Honestly, without seeing the offending authors infraction... it's hard to say one way or the other. I understand the need to police users, and yes sometimes they get a little happy with the ban hammer but for all we know there was good cause.

However, I would think that people knowing the Nexus rules and heavy handedness would tone down their responses/comments appropriately to avoid it.

Especially considering the author's last login to the Nexus forum was on January 17 and, from what I can tell, the mod was available until much later (June?).

Here's his Steam profile

https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198052200678

I'll try to contact him to see if he's willing to upload it to Steam Workshop or something.

works via this link: https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/19446

and BTW I get almost a 20fps hit from using this, coming out of helgen in the mountain trail... not sure if the z-fighting tweaks are exacerbating it too or what, but my fps has been really poor even from the beginning wagon ride

Edit: 45fps with it on, 72fps with it off to be exact

Edit2: this is way more than the 10%-20% performance hit the author claims, more like 35%-40% here unless it's conflicting with some other mod or tweak i'm using

Edit3: I also noticed the whiterun texture bugs like the gray windmill from afar

and BTW I get almost a 20fps hit from using this' date=' coming out of helgen in the mountain trail... not sure if the z-fighting tweaks are exacerbating it too or what, but my fps has been really poor even from the beginning wagon ride[/quote']

It's definitely a bit of a performance hog. I didn't lose fps, but I measured vram usage before and after and it came out to roughly 100mb. This was around Windhelm.

I know there are some alternative options. Such as Illuminated Tree LOD' date=' which is quite nice (been mentioned on this forum before). https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/17984[/quote']

I use the "less yellow" version of Illuminated Tree LOD. Looks great with STEP.

• 2 months later...

From my experience both Skyrim Distance Overhaul and Skyrim Distant Detail increase the burden on the engine by a non-trivial amount, especially if you use the z-fighting .ini tweaks. For me, SDO increased physical RAM usage by about 150mb and the game was much more prone to CTDs. It really does look great though.

One thing I was curious about was the HQ LOD textures. He has different textures for all 3 of the big texture packs... SRO, HD2K, and SHDR. I wonder how they compare to the default textures. Might be difficult to find one that fits since the Texture Pack Combiner uses landscape textures from all 3. I think I'll test that out when I get home.