S.T.E.P. vs. SR:LE?

From what I understand, SR:LE is not a conventional S.T.E.P. pack and is instead a standalone project. Correct?

If this is the case then I'm currently deciding whether or not to go for the core S.T.E.P mods along with the S.T.E.P. Extended patch and some extra mods.

I'd like to know what the difference between S.T.E.P. and SR:LE is. Is it basically S.T.E.P. but with a looser adherence to the vanilla game?

I've noticed that SR:LE doesn't use a lot of the mods that S.T.E.P. does. Is this because there are alternatives in the SR:LE pack, such as Gemling Queen Jewellery instead of Jewels of the Nord? 

It also looks like a lot of mods that should be in anyone's playthough that are from S.T.E.P. have just been totally left out of SR:LE such as KenMOD, Vibrant Auroras, Appropriately Attired Jarls, Diverse Priests just to name a few. Are there good reasons for this or have I just not seen the SR:LE alternatives?

I REALLY want to use Skyrim Revisited: Legendary Edition but I'm feeling put off by the fact that a lot of the S.T.E.P. core and extended mods are not in the pack.

Thanks,

Miles  ::):

Edit: I'm also really quite surprised that SR:LE isn't using the Realistic Lighting Overhaul mod. Personally, I think that mod is one of the first things I would want to add to my game. Is the reason it's not in SR:LE just becasue of the fact that it's an unfinished mod?

Edited by ninjamilez

Step is a improved Vanilla Game. SR:LE is an all out modding guide for an improved skyrim I believe. SR:LE adds a lot more but hard to build off of. Step is easy to build off of. This is what I've picked up from being on the forums for awhile. SR:LE will most likely look better than STEP.

Step is a improved Vanilla Game. SR:LE is an all out modding guide for an improved skyrim I believe. SR:LE adds a lot more but hard to build off of. Step is easy to build off of. This is what I've picked up from being on the forums for awhile. SR:LE will most likely look better than STEP.

I thought SR:LE would be the better looking one. 

So this essentially means that if you go for S.T.E.P. then you will have an easier job when adding your own mods on top of the optional packs and if you go for SR:LE you're basically stuck with it?

I thought SR:LE would be the better looking one. So this essentially means that if you go for S.T.E.P. then you will have an easier job when adding your own mods on top of the optional packs and if you go for SR:LE you're basically stuck with it?

I wouldn't say stuck but it just won't be as easy. you have to learn conflict resolution. luckily at the end of the guide there's a whole sub guide dedicated to it along with a video.

I wouldn't say stuck but it just won't be as easy. you have to learn conflict resolution. luckily at the end of the guide there's a whole sub guide dedicated to it along with a video.

I haven't read that far yet, but I will check it out now. Thanks for the heads-up.

STEP:Core is about simplicity and not deviating from the vanilla game in any large manner to remain compatible with everything. STEP:Extended does deviate a bit more but not by very much.

SR:LE has a tendency to be a more complex install with the inclusion of more mods that change more than STEP will ever add. That being said, everything is laid out in a strait-forward manner for you to learn advanced modding concepts along the way. As for your questions about said mods:

KenMOD - I never liked this mod myself, therefore I do not use it nor put it in my guide. Besides that, SR:LE makes use of the "A Matter of Time" mod for all its timekeeping needs.

Vibrant Auroras - This was in the old version of the guide, I am exploring a few alternatives now. Honestly nothing overtly wrong with the vanilla aurora so it just hasn't been a huge priority. :)

Appropriately Attired Jarls will likely make an appearance in SR:LE eventually.

Diverse Priests is completely replaced by Kryptopyrs Clothing and Clutter Fixes.

Where do I find the guide to begin to download mods for SR:LE ?  In the past I followed the STEP guide and added Neovalen's mods on top of it. Worked wonders until my GPU died. Fastforward to today and I'm trying to get back into it... based on this thread it seems SR:LE is a good fit for me!

SR:LE is stand-alone from STEP correct?

Thanks.

• 3 months later...

Just attempting a SR:LE combined with Real Explorers Guide to Skyrim. Can I assume that mods featured in STEP extended not included in the two guides are covered/not needed? It's just, as the OP said, you'd think a good number of STEP mods would be essential based on the abundance of hi-res textures and certain animation and audio tweaks.

Edited by hazelwolf
  • 1 month later...

Hi guys

I have some similar questions so I hope it is ok to post it here.

I have finished install Core + Extended but now I wonder if I should install SR:LE instead, I just have a few questions before I decide.

What mods in SR:LE can make it difficult to install more mods on top of SR:LE?

Is there some categories of mods that would be easier to install on top of SR:LE than others?

Is it possible to take out mods I dont like from SR:LE?

[spoiler=Just as an example, here is a few of the mods I would like to install on top of SR:LE if possible.]

More treasure maps

Sunken Treasures

Moonpath to Elsweyr

Interesting NPCs

Populated Forts Towers Places (by RS)

WAO - Weather and Ambience Overhaul Megapatch

Agent of Righteous Might

The Elder Scrolls Quest Series

Immersive Patrols

Hunterborn

Fences of Skyrim

World Map - Skyrim Hold Borders

Fishing In Skyrim

Pumping Iron - Dynamic Muscle Growth

Athletics Training - with MCM

Scarcity - Less Loot Mod

Loot and Degradation

Achieve That

Fire and Ice Overhaul

Appreciate any replies :)

cheers

Edited by xxx78

More treasure maps  - Should be fine. (Not used by me before NUBMB)

Sunken Treasures  - Should be fine. (NUBMB)

Moonpath to Elsweyr  - Should be fine - patch needed for Realistic Room Rental mod.

Interesting NPCs  - Should be fine.

Populated Forts Towers Places (by RS)  - Should be fine.

WAO - Weather and Ambience Overhaul Megapatch  - Do not need this, you can add Expanded Snow Systems and Supreme Storms after CoT in the left hand column then use the relevant options when installing Vividian ENB

Agent of Righteous Might  - Should be fine. (NUBMB)

The Elder Scrolls Quest Series  - Should be fine. (NUBMB)

Immersive Patrols  - Already in SR:LE

Hunterborn  - Should be fine.

Fences of Skyrim  - Should be fine. (NUBMB)

World Map - Skyrim Hold Borders  - Should be fine.

Fishing In Skyrim  - Should be fine. (NUBMB)

Pumping Iron - Dynamic Muscle Growth  - Should be fine. (NUBMB)

Athletics Training - with MCM  - Should be fine. (NUBMB)

Scarcity - Less Loot Mod  - Should be fine. (NUBMB)

Loot and Degradation  - Should be fine.

Achieve That  - Should be fine.

Fire and Ice Overhaul  - Should be fine.

That said many of the mods I have not really tried myself (marked) so my   "- Should be fine" comments should be taken with a pinch of salt. If any of those mods change things in cells or similar then there will be conflicts that will need to be resolved.

::):

Thanks Smile44 :)

I did not expect comments on each mod in my example but very nice of you. Sry about immersive patrols, I checked against mod list but not well enough.

Based on your reply I think I get an overall idea that adding more mods after SR:LE should not create much problems except the normal conflicts and plugin limit. Thats great news :)

I did a quick search for answer to this question but did not find anything.

Is it possible to take out mods I dont like from SR:LE or do I have to use all or nothing?

Edited by xxx78