S.T.E.P. vs. SR:LE?

• 1 month later...

I have profiles for STEP: Core, SR:LE, and CORE+SRLE.  They all work great.  I had to be a selective about which mods from CORE I wanted to include.  They fall into 3 different categories:

No Conflicts, No ESPs

Bowlegged Jump Animation Fix

Brawl Bugs Patch
Fuz Ro D'oh
Skill Interface Retexture
HQ Snow Textures 
Realistic Mushrooms
Whiterun Trellis Redesigned
Female Vampires Have Fangs
Frost Atronach HD Retex
Improved Foot Wraps for Females
New Children
Not Really HD Mask of Clavicus Vile
Ultimate HD Torch
Enchantment Effect Replacer
NoMaam Breathing Idles
Running with a Bow 3rd Person
Smaller Ice Spike & Ice Spear
Skyrim Performance Plus
Better Shadowmarks
Dark Brotherhood Tenents Restored
HD Baskets Retex
HD Linens
HD Sacks Retexture
HQ Paper
Not Really HD Display Case
Not Really HD Keys
Realistic Instruments
Silly Level of Detail - Potions and Poisons
Silly Level of Detail - Wine Cellar
Skyrim Redesigned
Super Realistic Ore Textures
Sweet Mother
Better Animal Footsteps
Better Horse Pain Sounds
Better Weapon Swing Sounds
Lower Sounding Thieves Guild Door
Realistic Wolf Howls
Thundering Shouts
Ultra Realistic Bow Shoot Sounds
Ultra Realistic Crossbow Shoot Sounds

ESPs, No Overwritten Files w/ SRLE

Appropriately Attired Jarls
Consistent Older People
Dead Body Collision Fix
Fast Travel Timescale Fix
Lore-Based Loading Screens
Loadscreen Extensions
Hearthfire Chimneys for Skyrim
Lanterns of Skyrim
Distant Detail Hearthfire Edition
Skyrim Improved Puddles
Birds & Flocks
Elemental Stafts
Animated Weapon Enchants
Dawnguard Rune Weapons FXS Replacer
Improved Weapon Impact Effects
The 418th Step
Radiant & Unique Potions & Poisons
Soul Gems Differ
Dragons Shout with Voice
IHSS - Improved Horse Step Sounds
Immersive Skyrim Thunder
Improved Combat Sounds
Smooth Blades Draw & Sheath
Come Together & Out of the Way

No ESPs, Unintentionally Overriden by SRLE Files

Ruins Clutter Improved has 33 non-conflicted files
Tobes Highres Textures has 22; 38 if loaded after SMIM like in CORE
High Quality Food & Ingredients has 51; 53 if loaded after SFO
HD Misc has 2
aMidianBorn Caves & Mines has 10
aMidianBorn Farmhouse has 10
aMidianBorn Whiterun has 39; 45 if loaded after SMIM and SFO
Dragon Glyphs HD has only 1
HiRes Legible Road Signs has 13
Hybrids HD Plants & Herbs Retexture has 15; 24 if loaded after SFO
Real Wood Textures - Farmhouses has 4
Re-Defined Dungeons WIP has 4
Terrain Bump has 3; 4 if loaded after SFO
Trees HD has 7; 21 if loaded after SFO
Visible Windows has 5; 8 if loaded after Vivid Landscapes
Bellyache's Animal & Creature Pack has 20; 22 if loaded after SMIM
Bellyache's HD Dragon Replacer Pack has 11
Better Beast Races has 27
Better Circlets has 20
Skyrim Weapon De-Larp-ification has 33
Greatsword Sheaths and Scabbards Redux has 20
Better Turn Animation has 35
Better Bones has 9; 11 if loaded after Book of Silence
Deatailed Rugs has 18
HD Ore & Ingots has 11

This list isn't complete.  I didn't install a lot of SRLE cosmetic mods and stuck with XCE & XCE DG.  There are a few others I didn't install.

With all the interest in being able to install SRLE over a CORE setup, it might be helpful to know why these mods weren't included.
Edited by Muladhara86
  • +1 1

I've tried both. S.T.E.P is good in that it is stable, lore friendly and well supported. SR:LE is wonderful in that it is also stable, reasonably lore friendly with even better support. It is also Neovalen's vision of what Skyrim should be and he treats it as an opus. It is more realistic and immersive than S.T.E.P., still lore friendly and sexier in the way of Robert Howard's original Conan stories and Boris Fallejo's art. I highly recommend SR:LE over S.T.E.P. and you will not sleep soundly until you've tried it.

Edited by maedrhos

Hi guys

I have some similar questions so I hope it is ok to post it here.

I have finished install Core + Extended but now I wonder if I should install SR:LE instead, I just have a few questions before I decide.

What mods in SR:LE can make it difficult to install more mods on top of SR:LE?

Is there some categories of mods that would be easier to install on top of SR:LE than others?

Is it possible to take out mods I dont like from SR:LE?

[spoiler=Just as an example, here is a few of the mods I would like to install on top of SR:LE if possible.]

More treasure maps

Sunken Treasures

Moonpath to Elsweyr

Interesting NPCs

Populated Forts Towers Places (by RS)

WAO - Weather and Ambience Overhaul Megapatch

Agent of Righteous Might

The Elder Scrolls Quest Series

Immersive Patrols

Hunterborn

Fences of Skyrim

World Map - Skyrim Hold Borders

Fishing In Skyrim

Pumping Iron - Dynamic Muscle Growth

Athletics Training - with MCM

Scarcity - Less Loot Mod

Loot and Degradation

Achieve That

Fire and Ice Overhaul

Appreciate any replies :)

cheers

I use SR:LE with some of the mods you recommend: Hunterborn, Interesting NPCs, and Fishing in Skyrim. Some of the others I tried and dropped simply because of the 255 .esp limit on the game. I wouldn't be afraid to try them if you don't mind modding and I've spent more time modding this past year than playing the game. The difficulty is that Neovalen makes you a ready made Conflict Resolution Patch for his setup. This is a huge time saver and makes the game stable. The more you deviate from his setup the more time you will need to spend learning techniques to resolve conflict resolution rather than playing the game.

• 1 month later...

...spending more time modding (learning modding) than playing... sounds hauntingly familiar... I am on my 3rd install here... what started as a "I would like to mod this house a bit" has turned into a full college course on modding, TesEdit, swapping from NMM to MO, installing STEP CORE... geez shirley

Thanks for the discussion all. Looks like I am going to take a close look at the mod lineup and begin another profile install... I originally started with SRLE and then thought... snot... need CORE installed to build on... should have just run with SRLE.

Should be worth it though... and probably won't take as long as I learned a lot in the CORE install.

Edited by Zegorzalek

Yeah I'd have to agree with a lot of the points made here. My only gripe is that I just recently finished the Step:Extended guide and was tinkering with different ENBs when I stumbled across the SR:LE guide. Now, here I am, back at it.... I had a stable game, running the Extended mod list, and I even started on my legitimate playthrough when I caught wind of this Legendary guide. Now, I have to feed my addiction all over again!  :confused:  I must have the **Perfect** game files to play! :woot: :wallbash:

I'm sure I'm not the only one. So, I'm wondering, where was the clue hiding, of a SR:LE guide, while I was working through my step guide?? I even glanced at the Pack list at the end of the step guide to see if anything intrigued me that I'd have to make room for. No news of SR:LE there!

• 2 weeks later...

...spending more time modding (learning modding) than playing... sounds hauntingly familiar... I am on my 3rd install here... what started as a "I would like to mod this house a bit" has turned into a full college course on modding, TesEdit, swapping from NMM to MO, installing STEP CORE... geez shirley

My wife always says, "I think you like modding that game more than you like actually playing it."

She may be right.  :;):

I've found a few things...some might call them errors or ommissions...wrong with SR:LE

First is there were several mods where "Do not install xxxxx.esp" was marked as part of the install instructions.  When I followed this and check in MO, often the BSA files were not loaded (checked) - may want to add instructions to either manually check them or (if no scripts, etc., are included) to unpack and hide the BSAs to take a loose files approach to those particular mods.

The Ruffled Feather mod includes WATER and is replaced/overwritten later by RW2.  Has this been tested for conflicts?

Also with Ruffled Feather, might want to advise that the user look at all the mods included and cherry-pick if desired.  I know some of the mods included in his collection were 'voted off the island' in my mod-outs for various reasons.

Also, IIRC, Community Uncapper has to be manually edited to taste to work right instead of working just out of the box.  I could be wrong on this.

Lastly, are the body mods suggested in SR:LE SFW or NSFW?  Folks like me (who have small kids that may watch them play) might appreciate a small note regarding that and/or a SFW option.  I know from experience that Skyrim bodies are damned hard to find SFW versions of at times unless you're a fan of Vanilla+ :(

Didn't write this to gripe/complain.  Just playing devil's advocate for people new to Skyrim modding who blindly follow STEP guides for their ease of use. :)  Writing a guide for TTW myself, so I know how much hard wortk it is and was following SR:LE to do a nice mod-out of Skyrim for my 'between wiki work breaks'.

Edited by ShadowWhisper

The Ruffled Feather mod includes WATER and is replaced/overwritten later by RW2.  Has this been tested for conflicts?

Also with Ruffled Feather, might want to advise that the user look at all the mods included and cherry-pick if desired.  I know some of the mods included in his collection were 'voted off the island' in my mod-outs for various reasons.

I am looking forward to The Ruffled Feather recommends "update" - when testing is done (RE: S.T.E.P. Core Project 2.2.9 page ... rather than SR:LE)

Edit: I picked ONE option that mentioned "STEP" in The Ruffled Feather, for now.

Edited by CloakedBreton

I've found a few things...some might call them errors or ommissions...wrong with SR:LE

First is there were several mods where "Do not install xxxxx.esp" was marked as part of the install instructions. When I followed this and check in MO, often the BSA files were not loaded (checked) - may want to add instructions to either manually check them or (if no scripts, etc., are included) to unpack and hide the BSAs to take a loose files approach to those particular mods.

The Ruffled Feather mod includes WATER and is replaced/overwritten later by RW2. Has this been tested for conflicts?

Also with Ruffled Feather, might want to advise that the user look at all the mods included and cherry-pick if desired. I know some of the mods included in his collection were 'voted off the island' in my mod-outs for various reasons.

Also, IIRC, Community Uncapper has to be manually edited to taste to work right instead of working just out of the box. I could be wrong on this.

Lastly, are the body mods suggested in SR:LE SFW or NSFW? Folks like me (who have small kids that may watch them play) might appreciate a small note regarding that and/or a SFW option. I know from experience that Skyrim bodies are damned hard to find SFW versions of at times unless you're a fan of Vanilla+ :(

Didn't write this to gripe/complain. Just playing devil's advocate for people new to Skyrim modding who blindly follow STEP guides for their ease of use. :) Writing a guide for TTW myself, so I know how much hard wortk it is and was following SR:LE to do a nice mod-out of Skyrim for my 'between wiki work breaks'.

1. BSAs should always be auto extracted if following SR:LE instructions.

2. The Ruffled Feather install instructions are clear on which portions to install and it does NOT include WATER.

3. Community Uncapper works out of the box by uncapping max skill levels to iirc 150 or so. No manual editing required unless that is your desire.

4. The specified options are nfsw but imo it is fairly obvious when the installer prompts SFW or NSFW version... similarly when the mod page says nudes instead of underwear. Common sense required.

Hope this helps.

1. BSAs should always be auto extracted if following SR:LE instructions.

2. The Ruffled Feather install instructions are clear on which portions to install and it does NOT include WATER.

3. Community Uncapper works out of the box by uncapping max skill levels to iirc 150 or so. No manual editing required unless that is your desire.

4. The specified options are nfsw but imo it is fairly obvious when the installer prompts SFW or NSFW version... similarly when the mod page says nudes instead of underwear. Common sense required.

Hope this helps.

It does - thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

So, i know this is maybe not the perfect place for this question, but i really would like to know what the different ambitions are behind Skyrim Revisited (SR) and Skyrim Revisited - Legendary Edition (SR-LE)?

I'm sure this was discussed already somewhere but i couldnt find it, sorry :(

The thing is at first I thought: "of course, the only difference is that SR-LE is like an updated Version of SR"

But when I looke a little closer, i saw that not even half of the Mods were the same in these two guides. even if they (almost) built on the same foundation.

It seems to me that SR has more Mods in common with STEP whereas SR-LE just uses the same base setup but then chooses quite different options.

I'm following the SR-LE (and after 4 days have reached point 4.4.2, Yaay!) because, duh, i recently decided to get me the legendary edition after almost 2 years not playing Skyrim at all.

But there are some mods on the SR-Guide that also look interesting and I didn't find any clues as on why they have been kept out of the SR-LE Guide.

If somebody could clear things up for me (or smack me with a link to the post where this was already discussed) I would be extremely grateful!