CTD across from Solitude docks

Lauren

Question

I've been testing my setup thoroughly for awhile and had a small chunk of mods left to enable/test. I haven't done anything with Skyrim for a couple weeks, so I also downloaded and installed all of the updates for the unofficial patches/Arthmoor's other mods (unwise? PERHAPS).

When I started testing (using the speedmult/tcl method), I used LAL to start as a patron at the Dragon Bridge inn, every time. I normally path northeast past Solitude, then go on towards Morthal/Dawnstar/Winterhold etc. for awhile. Previous tests were g2g, I could go 10, 15, 20 min+ with some hiccups but no crashes.

After updating aforementioned mods + enabling some of the 15 REGS mods, I would CTD as I passed the Solitude docks and crossed the river into the marsh near Folgunthur/that shack. I disabled the most recently enabled mods from REGS - still crashing (same spot). I rolled back the updated mods, but not the unofficial patches - still crashing (same spot). I enabled my Vanilla profile - no crashing. I enabled my SRLE (ish) profile, disabling all mods but vanilla + USKPs - and crashing again (yes, same spot).

I rolled back the USKPs to the 2.0.3 set - no crashing. I started enabling mods in small chunks - mostly no crashing. I actually got most of my mods re-enabled, but it doesn't like CRF, Falskaar, Book Covers so far, I may be forgetting one...

I tried again with a more awake mind today, just now. Enabled only the vanilla files, no crash. Reinstalled the newest versions of the USKPs, enabled one at a time, crash x4. [i didn't try once more with the 2.0.3 set yet, wanted to finish this post and I close Chrome when I play]

I really have no idea what to do at this point. I'd think I wouldn't have to wipe everything and reinstall Skyrim, since everything is in MO... I guess I could just use the older versions of the patches, but that doesn't seem like a real solution. Perhaps it's not a big deal because it's just one spot where it crashes, but it bugs me that it never happened before and I can reproduce it over and over and over... any ideas would be appreciated.

Relevant deets below:

• MO 1.2.1 (started out with 1.1.2, upgraded)
  • BOSS/BUM first - switched to LOOT later on to see if that had any effect (nope)
  • Skyrim 1.9.32.0.8
  • SKSE 1.7 with memory fix
  • Enabled Memory Blocks logging, never exceeded the first block in testing
  • ENBoost enabled, SPM shows well under memory cap
  • New game started for every. single. test.
  • Most of SRLE + ~15 mods from REGS (all pretty much disabled at this point though)
  • Skyrim is on my 2nd SSD, not in Program Files (UAC is OFF)
  • Base game/MO/inis etc. set up according to SRLE

Crash location (not the exact same spot every time):

Posted Image

Load order:

Skyrim.esm
Update.esm
Unofficial Skyrim Patch
Dawnguard.esm
Unofficial Dawnguard Patch
HearthFires.esm
Unofficial Hearthfire Patch
Dragonborn.esm
Unofficial Dragonborn Patch

Edited by Lauren

It does it with every binary I've tried. I just used 0.236 for several tests, and I literally JUST tested again with 0.251. Prior to that I was using 0.246 for QuietCool and 0.251/254 for RealVision/Phinix etc...

It's terribly odd, capital O Odd really. I don't think it would be a memory shortage with only vanilla/DLC/HD files, and possibly USKPs + ENB? I'm using ENBoost and tried both SKSE 1.07 w/ memory ini and 1.6.16 with SSME. When I was running Skyrim Performance Monitor, it looked ok, I haven't bothered running it for the most recent tests though.

I did test without the optimized textures; it still crashed with the USKPs enabled. Continually trying to come up with more conditions to test, soo I will keep plugging away at it. (aka  :wallbash:)

This crash case is odd because if either USKP or ENB caused it, there would be a huge uproar we would all know about it.

Exactly. I'd typed a similar sentiment in a previous post, but edited it out for brevity's sake. Chaos would be rampant.

So, I shall simply continue driving myself to drink trying to figure out what the hell I did.  :thumbsup:

• +1 1

Drinking solves most of my problems too. Did you redownload all the UPPs or just the USKP? Maybe it's a DLC or UDGP, UHFP, UDBP problem.

Haha sorry I didn't even see your post. I only re-dl'ed the USKP, I kinda feel like it won't help if I do the others... I can for ***** and giggles, though I think I'm at (or past) my troubleshooting threshold.

[The below is not an exact chronological, detailed list of my testing, just FYI]

I've switched between SKSE 1.06.06 and 1.07 (with and without the memory hax for each), verified the game cache a couple times, uninstalled my AV, disabled the Steam overlay, disabled Nvidia crap, disabled all non-system/Windows services, got fresh vanilla BSAs and re-cleaned them, deleted RendererInfo, used vanilla .inis, etc. etc. I keep thinking I've fixed it, but it just seems to keep doing it.

I thought I'd fixed it by disabling the cleaned .esms I was using (though I tried that before). I started 3 new games and they were ok. I started setting up all my other mods again (not enabling, just setting up in MO), tested it once more with the 'working' setup, and I crashed in that spot. I switched between SKSE versions and eventually accidentally left the 1.06 scripts with the 1.07 dll/exe... which worked fine. I put the 1.07 scripts folder back, and I crashed. I put the 1.06 scripts in, no crash. I did that a few times (flip-flopping the folders), and again I thought 'well hm maybe this is a culprit? very weird but ok?' Again I continued putting my mods back in order... tested it once more with *that* 'working' setup before enabling anything (besides UPs/SKSE/ENB), and yep, crash. I even ran without the scripts folder and it was ok, but that doesn't really help haha.

I also tried running straight through SKSEloader. That loading method (+cleaned .esms/UPs/SKSE/ENB, just directly in the Skyrim folder) had 3-4 crash-free new games (these were interleaved with testing new games loading via MO). However, once I added a small amount of mods, it started crashing again. Regardless, it's not a feasible solution anyway, I can't go back to dropping stuff in my data directory like it's the Stone Age!

So I've spent a lot of time trying to figure out something whose cause can probably be summed up as because Skyrim* At this point I'm just going to set up my mods, follow guide instructions, use best practices, and play the game (who does that). If I have problems later, meh, so be it. I don't want to use the game without MO, or SKSE, or the UPs, or even ENB at this point. I was just trying to be a good lil modder, but I think I give up  :-_-: I appreciate everyone's ideas and support though.

*I actually did find a few posts from others saying they would crash in this exact same spot, so yay I'm not alone? I also saw posts in the USKP Nexus thread about the ENB dll and UPs together producing crashes for a few people, so maybe it's ENB wonk... or maybe there's some sort of script oddity firing off in that area... If only there were a log that said 'hay u crashed cuz of xyz'!

Edited by Lauren

I've hear that the Guardian Stones (or was it Anise's Cabin) is at the juncture of several cells and thus is crash prone. You're experiencing CTD between Solitude and Folgunthur, could that be a similar "4 corners" type cell location where you are doubling up Solitude assets and Morthal swamp &/or Folgunthur (quest?) assets subsequently overloading "because skyrim"? What if you head from Dragonbridge to Morthal along the road and then north to Folgunthur (avoiding that Solitude baggage)?

I have one last idea. This is going to sound weird but go to the New Vegas nexus and get New Vegas Anti-Crash. It works for SKSE and NVSE so it might help with that crash.

Sounds like shenanigans to me but I'll try it tomorrow!

I've hear that the Guardian Stones (or was it Anise's Cabin) is at the juncture of several cells and thus is crash prone. You're experiencing CTD between Solitude and Folgunthur, could that be a similar "4 corners" type cell location where you are doubling up Solitude assets and Morthal swamp &/or Folgunthur (quest?) assets subsequently overloading "because skyrim"? What if you head from Dragonbridge to Morthal along the road and then north to Folgunthur (avoiding that Solitude baggage)?

Well, I don't actually go up to and through/above Solitude, I go over the docks then cross the river. I'm not sure if it's still loading Solitude assets in that case? I can try though. If I go elsewhere it's fine. On one test I was doing well even with passing by that area, but when I looped back around (coming in from the east), it froze (not CTD though). FFFFFFFFFFFolgunthur.