Might try that... jff ;-)

#32 stoppingby4now

stoppingby4now

Sleepy

• Site Founders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,281 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:00 PM

LOD adjustment is also being mis-represented on a lot of websites. You do not always have to adjust it, particularly when using SGSSAA. A lot of it comes down to the compatibility bits being used. Lowering also tends to introduce more texture shimmering. I'm using the Skryim bits provided by the latest drivers, LOD set to 0, and I have an outstanding picture with no texture shimmering. 

So you don't use any other settings in Nvidia Inspector? Just standard NVidia provided bits?

I use Skyrim bits for everything, though I'll caveat by saying I don't have an SLI config.

Using SGSSAA, there is still some slight anti-aliasing, but it's only on very fine detail, or smaller objects (planks, bars, etc.) when viewed at certain angles or from afar. Shadows can still be a problem primarily on grass, particularly with bright plants, but adjustments to shadows can help alleviate the majority of that.

#33 torminater

torminater

Dragon Prince

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:08 PM

Hmm, you got any good shadow settings? I'ld like it not to be ENB, if possible.

#34 stoppingby4now

stoppingby4now

Sleepy

• Site Founders
  • 4,281 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 01:30 PM

Me personally, I am going the route of less shadows in the distant terrain, and better defined in close proximity. This is because I prefer the shadows to look better when I am near them, and it reduces the shimmer from distant grass.

I first launch SkyrimLauncher.exe, go into Options and set Shadow Detail to Ultra.

I then open SkyrimPrefs.ini and change the following values:
iShadowMapResolutionSecondary=4096
iShadowMapResolutionPrimary=4096
fShadowDistance=3000
fShadowBiasScale=0.6
I then open Skyrim.ini and change the following values:
iShadowMapResolutionPrimary=4096
fSunShadowUpdateTime=2
fSunUpdateThreshold=1
The fSun variables may not be there unless you have added them yourself, but they belong in the [Display] section. These two will come down to your own particular taste on how often you want shadows to update, and how long the update should take. I went with these settings to prevent shadow flicker when updating. That transition is noticeable, but smooth.

Consequently, if you want awesome shadow movement for a timescale video (around 2000), set them both to 0.0050.

But, this is a tradeoff between having shadows in the distance and better looking shadows close up. You can adjust the fShadowDistance to taste (the further you push this out, the more shimmering will occur from shadows, particularly with lower resolution shadows, and if fSun updates are too often you'll get more flicker as well).

#35 LeetMiniWheat

LeetMiniWheat

Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:40 PM

Speaking of shadows, the blocky shadows are still much more noticible than the minor aliasing deficiencies, even at 4096. But 4x SGSSAA gets rid of most the aliasing that MSAA doesn't catch

#36 torminater

torminater

Dragon Prince

• Contributors
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:36 PM

ever tried to change the shadow blur up to 16?

#37 LeetMiniWheat

LeetMiniWheat

Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:02 AM

ever tried to change the shadow blur up to 16?

nice, what do you use for iShadowMaskQuarter? I saw a steam post saying to use:

iBlurDeferredShadowMask=8
iShadowMaskQuarter=2

so with 16, should the other be 4?

#38 torminater

torminater

Dragon Prince

• Contributors
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:51 AM

well, try some values out, have had a long time off of shadow tweaking. now i have more serious problems to argue about xD

#39 stoppingby4now

stoppingby4now

Sleepy

• Site Founders
  • 4,281 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:32 AM

Adjusting iShadowMaskQuarter doesn't give a lot in the way of visual difference in the shadows. It's not something that you will notice in-game, but only in screenshots to compare. The biggest thing that will affect the visual will be iBlurDeferredShadowMask.

A value of 8 is the highest I was ever willing to go in the past as the blurring is too much, and they just don't look like shadows anymore.

An alternative, is to use the latest version of ENB for only the shadow enhancement (disable everything else). I did not experience any kind of FPS hit when using it only for the purpose of making those shadows look a lot better. I made comparison images in this thread with the 110 version of ENB (think it is up to 114 now).

#40 torminater

torminater

Dragon Prince

• Contributors
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:56 AM

is your enb version actually working? dunno but i think i remember that some people had problems with it...

#41 stoppingby4now

stoppingby4now

Sleepy

• Site Founders
  • 4,281 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:00 AM

Issues that folks were having were when trying to get other effects as well such as DOF. If all you want is pure shadow enhancement, there were no issues. Unfortunately, I haven't had time to test the latest versions of ENB. EDIT: The config I had posted was also for example purposes. It specifically had everything else turned off for testing shadows.

#42 torminater

torminater

Dragon Prince

• Contributors
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:21 AM

ahh, good to know. i'ld like to get dof and shadows working with the newest version if possible but i don't know anything about creating my own enb config. any idea?

#43 stoppingby4now

stoppingby4now

Sleepy

• Site Founders
  • 4,281 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:55 AM

ahh good to know. i'ld like to get dof and shadows working with the newest version if possible but i don't know anything about creating my own enb config. any idea?

I haven't created my own DOF settings, so I'm not sure yet how to go about making that. I was previously using a config file that only had DOF effects, and I just turned on the shadows afterward. I'll see if I can find the one I was using and see if it still works.

#44 torminater

torminater

Dragon Prince

• Contributors
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:35 PM

Wow I actually got an answer from bethesda about my problems. sent them tons of info, maybe they'll peak at it and get some useful info out.

#45 stoppingby4now

stoppingby4now

Sleepy

• Site Founders
  • 4,281 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:45 PM

Did the answer contain any useful info, or was it a canned response?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users