109 replies to this topic

#61 LeetMiniWheat

LeetMiniWheat

Knight

• Citizen
  • Pip
  • 250 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:25 PM

not really, GK110 is Tesla only right now, it was pushed back to 2013 unless AMD really puts the heat on them, but even so it would only be a paper launch this year since all of their chip productions are already preordered for Teslas

Edit: and for all intents and purposes, the GK104's ARE their flagship right now (as they've stated). I stopped holding my breath for GK110
Edit2: I can't find the press release, but here was a quote from someone on Hardforum:

The GK110 only recently taped out, so its not coming out any time soon. Huang stated at the press conference that it would not be released in a GeForce version until Q1 2013, because

1) Its not close to being ready yet
2) They are releasing it as a tesla first

So 680/690 will be the best cards until then, unless they do a re-spin of the GK104 or something.

Edit3: my guess is this august-november will be the GTX 660 in time for the holidays

#62 frihyland

frihyland

Dwemer Lord

• Founder
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:40 PM

Hmm well than they just need to focus on production of the 600 series and release a 4GB reference model to spur the board manufacturers. Probably means the price drop I been waiting for is not gonna happen though :(

#63 LeetMiniWheat

LeetMiniWheat

Knight

• Citizen
  • Pip
  • 250 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:42 PM

well, there's already 4GB 680's and 670's but there's no plans for 4GB (8GB) 690's since they are kind of limited-edition like the 590's were. besides they're having a hard time keeping the 680's in stock, they're flying off the shelves I could have gone dual 670 or 680 but the 690 has a better frame-metering technique to reduce micro-stutter

#64 frihyland

frihyland

Dwemer Lord

• Founder
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:54 PM

Yep I been waiting for a 4GB 670 to drop to $400 since it was released, I figure I had to wait till the next launch, now I have to reconfigure my strategy. :blink:

#65 torminater

torminater

High King

• VIP-Supporter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:54 AM

General recommendation for skyrim: DON'T GO SLI!!!

#66 LeetMiniWheat

LeetMiniWheat

Knight

• Citizen
  • Pip
  • 250 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 01:34 PM

General recommendation for skyrim:
DON'T GO SLI!!!

I still am yet to see any invisible textures, texture stretching, and rainbow textures you've been talking about. are you sure it's not from DDSopt or Optimizer Textures? (I'm not using either)

Edit: the only things I've noticed is the lack of HDR and the occasional shimmering over water. that and some weird occasional shadow casting issue, but could be related to a mod.
Edit2: also I noticed flickering land shadows about a week ago too.
Edit3: hmm, now I'm getting some flickering ambient occlusion on the very bottom of certain trees on the mountain path when you exit helgen.

#67 LeetMiniWheat

LeetMiniWheat

Knight

• Citizen
  • Pip
  • 250 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:11 PM

btw have you found any suitable HDR replacement for SLi? a lot of the ENB mods have it, but they all look too bright to me. I like RCRN but the contrast can be too much sometimes.

#68 LeetMiniWheat

LeetMiniWheat

Knight

• Citizen
  • Pip
  • 250 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:52 PM

btw, regarding those shadow issues I was mentioning earlier; I'm semi-convinced it's another SLi bug. but I can't reproduce it by saving, exiting, and re-loading again - it just happens sometimes. (basically standing in a bright sun light somewhere with some flora or trees casting a shadow will occasionally make the shadows draw all over the place and move with you as you walk, instead of being stationary. often occurs in wooded paths, or dungeons with a light hole in the ceiling with shrubs) and this occured with a vanilla/no mods install too.

#69 Neovalen

Neovalen

Talos

• Mod Author
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,593 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:11 AM

Shadows are screwed in SLI and also in surround resolutions. Bethesda screwed the pooch with shadows and it just gets worse with more processing power / usage. As if we didn't already know. :) ENB goes a long way to fixing it but it's not perfect either.

#70 LeetMiniWheat

LeetMiniWheat

Knight

• Citizen
  • Pip
  • 250 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:13 AM

yeah I've been looking for a good ENB replacement for RCRN and I think I finally found it - ENB Medieval Fantasy. It was taken down off nexus for supposedly copying and modifying someone else's ENB but it really is the best I've seen so far. plus it has SMAA too. (if anyone wants a copy, just PM me for a mediafire link, not sure about the forum rules of posting a link to it here)

#71 Neovalen

Neovalen

Talos

• Mod Author
  • 5,593 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:18 AM

Personally I am using Skyrim Enhanced Shaders right now... will see what I end up with in the end. Been too busy fiddling with my new system! lol Got my GTX 670's up to 2240 max boost (2215 min during bench, my cards run hot.. 80c/81c) and memory up to 3480Mhz. Gained 10fps from when I started benching. Next step is getting my CPU temps down a little more, think I need to reapply my thermal paste. Loving Skyrim at 58fps (fps cap) with ENB and game maxed out... even if I have to deal with the SLI glitches.

#72 LeetMiniWheat

LeetMiniWheat

Knight

• Citizen
  • Pip
  • 250 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:21 AM

nice, my 690 only goes to about 1188 max, artifacts past 1200. and memory is stable around 3445 (3500 was artifacting) I tried Skyrim Enhanced Shaders, but it was way too bright for my taste, I'm really loving this new medieval fantasy ENB Edit: not loving it so much anymore, it blurs stuff too much

#73 Neovalen

Neovalen

Talos

• Mod Author
  • 5,593 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:25 AM

I just do it so I don't have to deal with Vsync issues... it's probably not needed but I hate any type of stutter/tearing. Glad I went with the 4GB cards though, my VRAM usage has hit up to 3GB+ with all the maxed out texture mods around... especially in surround res.

#74 LeetMiniWheat

LeetMiniWheat

Knight

• Citizen
  • Pip
  • 250 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:26 AM

hmm, speaking of shadow bug. I wonder if this ENB setting would fix the shadows casted from flora?

ShadowCastersFix=true

or maybe ShadowObjectsFix=true does the job already

well I'm gonna try them all here.

[SHADOW]
ShadowObjectsFix=true
ShadowCastersFix=true
UseBilateralShadowFilter=true
ShadowQualityFix=true
DetailedShadowQuality=1

#75 LeetMiniWheat

LeetMiniWheat

Knight

• Citizen
  • Pip
  • 250 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:39 AM

regular SSAA does not do a perfect job with Skyrim. Nowhere near perfect. It totally fails to AA most transparent textures like snow on rock or moss on stone, and totally fails to AA the specular highlights on normal maps. SGSSAA does all of that and more.

source

they also talk here about SGSSAA blurring skyrim without specifically forcing a compatibility flag and MSAA in Nvidia Inspector instead of in-game, but I haven't noticed that.

also, FXAA reduces the aliasing on specular highlights and stuff too, but of course at the cost of blurring. SMAA didn't seem to do as good a job but it had next to zero blurring.

I also read somewhere that SGSSAA increases VRAM uses since it has to supersample the entire scene, so it could increase stuttering.

On another note, I'm considering getting a pair or triple 4GB 670's since the 690 I bought was apparently stolen. (long story, but I got a refund from eBay and have to send the card back to EVGA). 2GB per GPU is looking less and less appealing the more mods I add :-/

Edit: another quote

I can say from personal experience that you can run out of VRAM /w Skyrim and only 2GB. I hit that brick wall with 10-12 texture mods installed. A 4GB card is a godsend to a hardcore Skyrim player.

*sigh*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users