No install or use instructions for Stable uGrids to Load

peppergomez

Question

It might be very easy to do, but for those of us who want everything explained clearly, it would be nice to have some usage instructions/best practices for this. I assume the Data folder is just copied into the main Skyrim folder, so I did that and now I see the CellStabilizer.dll in the SKSE>Plugins folder.

I tried opening it with Notepad to see if I could tweak cells from default 5 to 7 but the file doesn't appear to be readable by Notepad.

Are saves just made in the in-game console? I thought that in-game console commands didn't carry over to new games or game sessions.

Thanks for the advice.

8 answers to this question

Only the INIs within Mod Organizer matter.

Also, it is not necessary to be changing ugridstoload values. The default is fine. It is in the STEP guide because it does fix a game cell loading bug. That is the reason for no instructions. Just plug and play is recommended STEP.

I'll post mine below, but with this caveat: ini tweaks can play hell with your game stability use at your own risk! It would be wise to research and thoughtfully consider changing default settings. That being said, I haven't seen any issues I can pin on ugrids 7.

[General]sLanguage=ENGLISHuGridsToLoad=7uExterior Cell Buffer=64

... it continues from here, but your existing file should be fine. Also, I've heard you can leave the Cell Buffer value alone, but I haven't had an issue with it at 64.

* Disclaimer: I'm not an expert by any metric, just an end-user who reads the forums a bit. Take my advice with a grain of salt.

Edited by redirishlord

Thanks.

I made those changes in the Skyrim.ini that I opened in Mod Organizer.

I notice though that the Skyrim.ini in Documents>My Games>Skyrim remains default, with none of those changes.

It:

[General]sLanguage=ENGLISHuExterior Cell Buffer=36

The Skyrim.ini as in Mod Organizer's Ini Files:

[General]

sLanguage = ENGLISH

uExterior Cell Buffer = 64

uGridsToLoad= 7

fFlickeringLightDistance = 8192.0

sIntroSequence =

So...should I update the Skyrim.ini in Documents>My Games to read the same? Which one does the game access?

And I haven't found the Skyrim or SkyrimPrefs ini files in the main Skyrim game folder...are they in a subfoldeR?