This thread will be for the upcoming INI section I would like the do. Currently I have three INI tweaks for the FNV INIs and one for the NVSE INI. There are a few others I've always considered, but just haven't tested, mostly because I've haven't had time, been to drunk, or just been outright lazy.

Before I get into the current and upcoming INI tweaks, I'd like to post a comment from Queue, the author of NVAC, about the multithreaded tweaks that are complete garbage.

Okay, just going to iterate through those settings and give a little info; they start off fine, but further in the list, there are problems:

- Fullscreen - No problem
- Anisotropic Filtering - No problem
- Antialiasing - No problem, though 8x is ridiculously taxing; traditional MSAA is crazy inefficient and slow
- Shadows - No problem
- Shadow Quality - No problem
- Shadow Filtering - No problem
- Max Shadows in Interiors - No problem
- Full Scene Reflections - Probably fine; I'm not sure which setting this maps to as the Configator made up descriptive names
- Water Reflections Width - No problem, though is Height also set to match?
- Object fade distance - No problem
- Item fade distance - No problem
- Actor fade distance - No problem
- Tree LOD fade - Technically no problem, but as far as I'm aware, vanilla New Vegas doesn't use the Tree LOD system and Tree LOD models are part of Object LOD instead
- Object LOD fade - No problem
- Land Quality - No problem
- Threaded Morpher - Does nothing; the game reads the value but never uses it
- Threaded Blood - Does nothing; the game never even reads this value
- Threaded Particles - Does nothing; the game reads the value but never uses it
- Threaded AI - Possible cause of crashes; use at your own risk
- Models Cloned in Background - Does nothing; the game never even reads this value
- Load Files in Background - Likely safe; however, use at your own risk
- Load lip files in background - Unknown impact; use at your own risk
- Havok Threads - Does nothing; the game never even reads this value
- Grids loaded - LEAVE THIS AT 5. This needs to be an odd value (5, 7, 9, etc.) and the game has code that only works properly when this is at the default of 5. Turning this up drastically increases memory and processor use. Also, this is probably why you're crashing outdoors.
- Pre-Emptively Unload Cells - Possible cause of crashes; use at your own risk
- Unload cells on fast travel - Possible cause of crashes; use at your own risk
- Use hard drive cache - Unknown impact; use at your own risk
- Preload Size Limit - Dumb setting; this is the data buffer for Bink video

I would highly recommend resetting your settings to default and using the game's vanilla launcher to adjust settings. Of the settings you listed, the ones that are worthwhile are adjusted to usefully high settings, with the exception of Object LOD fade (fBlockLoadDistanceLow, if I remember correctly which setting that corresponds to, and honestly can be increased by a factor of 10 via manually editing FalloutPrefs.ini) and the grass render distance (fGrassStartFadeDistance, which normally maxes at 7000, but NVAC extends range on by one cell, so increasing this number by maybe double should meaningfully extend grass render range). Also, the vanilla launcher doesn't properly toggle Vsync (it alters iPresentInterval in the wrong INI file).

This was posted as a reply to someone who listed their Configurator settings, but you can get the corresponding lines from the INIs very easy. The point being that many INI tweaks that you may find on the internet about multithreading and increasing performance are nonsense. Fortunately, Queue actually looked through the code and consulted with NVSE devs about the settings so we now have a true explanation of what these settings do. Consider giving him an endorsement, kudos, or donation for everything he doing for FNV.

Current INI tweaks for Fallout.ini:

[Fonts];sFontFile_1=TexturesFontsGlow_Monofonto_Large.fntsFontFile_1=TexturesFontsDarN_FranKleinBold_14.fnt;sFontFile_2=TexturesFontsMonofonto_Large.fntsFontFile_2=TexturesFontsDarN_FranKleinBold_16.fntsFontFile_3=TexturesFontsGlow_Monofonto_Medium.fnt;sFontFile_4=TexturesFontsMonofonto_VeryLarge02_Dialogs2.fntsFontFile_4=TexturesFontsDarN_Sui_Generis_Otl_10.fntsFontFile_5=TexturesFontsFixedsys_Comp_uniform_width.fnt;sFontFile_6=TexturesFontsGlow_Monofonto_VL_dialogs.fntsFontFile_6=TexturesFontsDarN_Sui_Generis_Otl_13.fnt;sFontFile_7=TexturesFontsBaked-in_Monofonto_Large.fntsFontFile_7=TexturesFontsDarN_Libel_Suit_Otl_24.fntsFontFile_8=TexturesFontsGlow_Futura_Caps_Large.fntsFontFile_9=TexturesFontsNVFont_Test.fnt

Current INI Tweaks for FalloutPrefs.ini:

[Launcher]bEnableFileSelection = 1[Grass]fGrassStartFadeDistance = 17000[General]bLoadFaceGenHeadEGTFiles = 1

I'll post the upcoming stuff when I have some time to go over everything I want to consider. Post any that you may want to see tested.

Aye, I did not see this topic and replied to the guide one. I simply copy-paste here, what i typed there, feel free to delete the one I've made in the guide thread.

I am not sure, but since you are looking for INI tweaks and I did not see (probably overlooked) this one in your guide, I thought to mention it here:

https://www.nexusmods...as/mods/46302/?

Fallout New Vegas Optimized is coming with a bunch of premade, tested INI-files and a very good readme. It was not updated since 2013 but to me it seems a good starting point for tweaks anyway, + the rig the INI-files were tested on would count nowadays as average/midrange but I reckon that is what most uf us average ppl play on.

I've looked at that guys readme and I wouldn't put to much stock into the multicore settings. Queue looked at the game code and listed that most of those settings do nothing. The game doesn't even read them as is posted in the OP. Be weary of anyone claiming those settings work. Some of the other stuff may help, but stay away from the iPreLoadSizeLimit, it is the last setting is the OP and is for the intro splash screen and video that plays if you leave the main menu sitting without touching anything.

The other stuff is just simple understanding of the AA, AF, resolution, and Vsync. The 4GB loader setting is not needed any longer, especially with MO. Thanks for taking a look though. I think now that I'm actually looking at this stuff I'll be doing some LOD settings testing. There is some stuff in two of the settings I talked to people-in-the-know about.

Here are some LOD settings I've been thinking about testing:

fLightLODDefaultStartFade=10240.0fLightLODRange=10240.0fLightLODMinStartFade=10240.0fLightLODMaxStartFade=10240.0fShadowLODDefaultStartFade=200.0fShadowLODRange=200.0fShadowLODMinStartFade=100.0fShadowLODMaxStartFade=1000.0fSpecularLODDefaultStartFade=10240.0fSpecularLODRange=10240.0fSpecularLODMinStartFade=10240.0fSpecularLODMaxStartFade=10240.0 

Apparently, this allows you to see stuff a bit farther away, compared to default:

fLightLODDefaultStartFade = 1000.0fLightLODRange = 500.0fLightLODMinStartFade = 200.0fLightLODMaxStartFade = 3500.0fShadowLODDefaultStartFade = 200.0fShadowLODRange = 200.0fShadowLODMinStartFade = 100.0fShadowLODMaxStartFade = 1000.0fSpecularLODDefaultStartFade = 500.0fSpecularLODRange = 300.0fSpecularLODMinStartFade = 200.0fSpecularLODMaxStartFade = 2000.0

• 8 months later...

Thank You EssArrBee for posting that the Multicore/Memory/Havok tweaks are junk :cool:

I did, however, add the resolution change to the F&L guide.  MO Default was set to: iSize W=1152 iSize H=648.  

I worded it to say "change to Your Own Resolution", along with the falloutprefs.ini 1920/1080 variables.

Still thought it best to add it in, in case anyone trips over it.  Like I did  ::D:

Edited by AyleidRuin

Instead of making a new thread, I figured I would ask here, as I have no idea about FNV inis.

I'm in the process of installing Fear and loathing, and at the ini tweaks section there is an instruction for fGrassStartFadeDistance = 17000.

I have no such setting but instead 3, "fGrassMinStartFadeDistance=0.0","fGrassDeaultStartFadeDistance3500.0" and "fGrassMaxStartFadeDistance=7000.0". Should I add a third line or modify one of the existing ones?

The reason I'm asking is that there is mention of  fGrassStartFadeDistance = 7000 in the OP and in my case that's fGrassMaxStartFadeDistance.

Edited by Marthenil

• 5 months later...

Interesting ini tweak I just found out about to the fallout.ini.  This will remove the majority of the intro splash screens from startup.  For me it ends up saving about 4 seconds factoring in the fact that when the splash screens are not deactivated I can click the "enter" key to skip part of it anyway.  If I don't click to skip, it saves a lot more time.  The good thing about it is that now I don't have to click anything to have it get to the main menu efficiently - it does it on its own.

SMainMenuMovieIntro=0