Problems with finishing optimizing vanilla textures

BUBISHI

Question

Hallo STEPforum,

this is my first post in the STEP forums so let me introduce myself:

just call me BUBISHI, this has something to do with my other hobby - who can guess?

After I have bought a new PC one year ago I wanted to continue my somehow bad experiance with Skyrim on PS3. But someone convinced me to give moded Morrowind a try and I got in love with this beautifull game. I used MSGO and added lots of mods later manually, but I never got the deep understanding of how all the small gears work together - I learned to use Wrye Mash, TEStool etc, but allways kept to written instructions. I also never tried to create mods myself.

Now it's time for me start Skyrim, and a user in the Bethesda forums suggested STEP.

I wanted to stert with a optimazed, fully patched and RP-moded Skyrim and think STEP is a great tool for me.

Now as I'm not an native speaker and the STEP guides are fairly comprehensive I find it hard to get through it.

Here my problem with DDSopt:

I have completed all the steps to optimize the Vanilla Textures and have placed the zipped files in the ModOrganizer directory.

Then I have manually installed the archives from ModOptimizer.

They appear in the left pannel as installed mods.

Now the STEP instruction says:

After installation, with Mod Organizer the esp plugins for any HRDLC that now have an archive file of optimized textures should be unchecked in the "plugins" tab in the right window. The esm plugins for any DLC should remain checked. With Wrye Bash, esp plugins for any HRDLC that now have an archive file of optimized textures should be unchecked in the "Mod" tab while the esm plugins for any DLC being used remain checked.

I should uncheck the last three checked files in my plug ins window, right?

If YES it should be like this.

But now if I try to start the game with my only test save I get a warrning missing mods text message, the errors can be seen in ModOrganizer iif i inspect the save.

The save misses the three deactivated esp.

I must have done something wrong and need advice here.

I have also made screenshots of the Data in ModOrganizer and I see the optimized replacers.

Here also a look into the Archives pannel. Do I have to uncheck files here?

I have also read that I should delete the replaced files from my games/Skyrim/Data folder.

This seems strange as I always though ModOrganizer never needs to make changes in the Data folder.

If I should delete/replace files in this folder, could someone confirm that and point my to those files, please?

I belive I'm not the first with this problems, but reading the other topics and guides did not help me much.

Thank You for reading about my problems, maybe You can help me.

14 answers to this question

A. Disable Archive Invalidation (unnecessary in Skyrim):

1. Click Profiles button Posted Image

2. Select your profile (STEP Core)

3. Deselect the Archive Invalidation checkbox

B. Disable the HighResTexturePack01.bsa, HighResTexturePack02.bsa, and HighResTexturePack03.bsa in Archives. They are fully replaced by your optimized textures.

C. Rearrange the BSAs in the Archives tab so that it is in the order depicted in the screenshot below.

Posted Image

D. Don't touch your data folder.

A. Disable Archive Invalidation (unnecessary in Skyrim):

1. Click Profiles button Posted Image

2. Select your profile (STEP Core)

3. Deselect the Archive Invalidation checkbox

B. Disable the HighResTexturePack01.bsa, HighResTexturePack02.bsa, and HighResTexturePack03.bsa in Archives. They are fully replaced by your optimized textures.

C. Rearrange the BSAs in the Archives tab so that it is in the order depicted in the screenshot below.

Posted Image

D. Don't touch your data folder.

Than You for Your fast reply.

So it's disable the HRTP.bsa in archives (A.3) but leave the HRTP.esp enabled in plugins, like in my first screenshot.

Right?

OK. That helped much.

But just one more question:

The save is still missing the three esp files.

The warning ist the same as in this screenshot.

Should I just ignore it, play and resave?

Thanks.

Update: Loaded the save, played for some minutes, saved and closed Skyrim. When I start MO again the new save has no missing esp.

Edited by BUBISHI

OK. That helped much. But just one more question:The save is still missing the three esp files.The warning ist the same as in this screenshot. Should I just ignore it, play and resave? Thanks.   Update: Loaded the save, played for some minutes, saved and closed Skyrim. When I start MO again the new save has no missing esp.

Yes, that should be fine. Those esps contain no records so it shouldn't harm your save.

So I'm trying to install my optimized files with a new install and MO 1.2.9. It looks like it works slightly differet now and I have got the same problem as before but can't solve it with your recommendations for the 1.2.1 version, Double You. Could You please help me with this.

This is my MO priorities and plugins panel

As You can see I renamed the new optimised files and activated them in the left panel. Now I would go to the Archives panel and deactivate the HighResTexturePacks01-03.bsa. This worked with the old version of MO.

Now I can't uncheck them as they are faded out an unaccesible for me. Screenshot.

I can deactivate them only if I first deactivate the HighResTexturePack.esp in the plugin panel.

But when both .esp & .bsa are deactivated I get a missing .esp warning in my saves.

How can I fix this?

UPDATE: ok, if I deactivate the three .esp and then the .bsa files and load the save that displayed the missing .esp then I get an warning upon starting the game. If I save then the new save does not have any missing .eps warrnings anymore.

So it's the way it has to be, right?

Edited by BUBISHI

Rearrange your priorities to be this:

STD_optimized

Dawnguard

Dawnguard_optimized

HearthFires

Hearthfires_optimized

Dragonborn

Dragonborn_optimized

HighResTexturePack01

HighResTexturePack02

HighResTexturePack03

HRDLC1_optimized

HRDLC2_optimized

HRDLC3_optimized

Untick the HighResTexturePack esps. Load your save, ignore missing mods warning (those plugins contain no records and should not impact your save), and resave. The warning should be gone and you will have your priorities correct.