Octopuss

Question

The following changes should prevent these kinds of errors:

• Move Unofficial Skyrim Patch before Dragonborn
  • Move Dawnguard before Dragonborn
  • Move Unofficial Dawnguard Patch before Dragonborn
  • Move HearthFires before Dragonborn
  • Move Unofficial Hearthfire Patch before Dragonborn

Shall I? Currently my mod order mostly follows the STEP guide (for the fixes section at the least), and this directly conflicts with it.

I don't really understand the new changes, and the long thread where all of that was discussed was beyond what I could understand.

What do you mean, should it look like this in the left tab of MO?

Unofficial Skyrim Patch

Dawnguard (BSA)

Unofficial Dawnguard Patch

Hearthfires (BSA)

Unofficial Hearthfire Patch

Dragonborn (BSA)

Unofficial Dragonborn Patch

Hi-Res texture packs (BSAs)

Unofficial High Resolution Patch

Or should the high-res texture packs go before the Unofficial Skyrim Patch to let texture overrides of the patches happen?

Edited by blattgeist

What do you mean, should it look like this in the left tab of MO?

Unofficial Skyrim Patch

Dawnguard (BSA)

Hearthfires (BSA)

Dragonborn (BSA)

Or should the high-res texture packs go before the Unofficial Skyrim Patch to let texture overrides of the patches happen?

What you have listed is correct, but if using Distant Decal fix put it before USKP and if you have optimized textures packed as mods then put them between the DLC and it's corresponding Unofficial patch.

I only have "Bethesda Hi-Res DLC Optimized" and follow the load order that was described on the mod page, to put it behind the High Res Texture Pack in the install order.

I made a screenie. Please take a look: https://s7.directupload.net/images/140625/5ynr6qm7.jpg

Note: The UHR patch is 2 times in there because the german version is not regularly updated. The english one on the other hand is - . It comes before the german version because I want the german version to overrides textures with english names on them and let the english version provide new textures that are not present in the german one.. I hope that made sense :o

This should be good, right? Or maybe not.. cause now Dawnguard, Dragonborn and Hearthfires override the fixed string files from the german USP bundle that is "Skyrim Directors Cut" :/ Why is this special install order even necessary? Wouldn't it be better to sort the official files like this?

Dawnguard (BSA)

Hearthfires (BSA)

Dragonborn (BSA)

Unofficial Skyrim Patch

I know that's not the recommendation.. but I'd like to try to understand why this is necessary. Are the overrides with this install order not correct? I mean the USPs override all the stuff from the official BSAs that they are supposed to override and the official BSAs come before them and override themselves according to their release date.

Edited by blattgeist

The order listed is not right because of the way the unofficial patches are designed. They have to be inbetween to allow the correct overwrite priority to take place. Your screen shot looks good to me.

Are you using SRLE? That's what it looks like to me and I imagine Neo will address the new format explicitly in his guide very soon.

SRLE? If that is some kind of mod compilation then no, I have my own running.

*sigh* I still don't get it.. Let's try a little example about how I understand overrides: If I have a mod at the very start of my install order, several mods inbetween and a mod at the bottom of my install order which all override the color of a bird with their own color, wouldn't that mean that the last mod has priority over the color?

So why does dawnguard BSA need to be right before the UDGP in the install order instead of several places above with other mods inbetween? My Esp load order is right for sure.. but the thing about the install order.. well that's super puzzling.

Wasn't the (wrong) install order that I listed above the one that was used by MO before? And that one did not work correctly? Sorry just trying to understand things here.

A pretty big problem which I'm having here is that the german string files from the Skyrim Directors Cut are being overriden by dawnguard, dragonborn and hearthfires strings (along with several german textures from the SDC). But I can't put the mod behind the single USKPs. And overall the Directors cut comes in a whole package for people who do not use the single USKPs on top of it. So people that use the whole package will have a problem sorting the official BSAs, cause they just can't because it's a big package with the dragonborn files being the ones in command (if DB was chosen during the installation).

By the way: My Unofficial Patch BSAs are extracted. I let MO handle it this way because I like to see where conflicts are and sort mods by hand to resolve them. Ofc. the official BSAs are all intact and will never be touched. Does it play a role regarding that interleaved install order if I extract the USP bsas or not through the MO installation? I guess not.. cause looking at neovalens link he ticked the "use bsa extractor" checkbox too.. so I guess USPs are being extracted.

Edited by blattgeist

The order listed is not right because of the way the unofficial patches are designed. They have to be inbetween to allow the correct overwrite priority to take place. Your screen shot looks good to me.

Are you using SRLE? That's what it looks like to me and I imagine Neo will address the new format explicitly in his guide very soon.

Just as an FYI since you mentioned it, SR:LE has already been updated for MO 1.2.5 =D

My part time solution for now is.. I hid every single folder in the Skyrim Director's Cut except for the strings. I'll miss out on the german texture fixes now but that should be no big deal. The SDC which now basically only provides fixed german strings is being loaded before the USPs.

It looks like this now (with USP bsas extracted via Mod Organizer's installation routine):

Distant Decal Fix

Unofficial Skyrim Patch

Dawnguard (BSA)

Hearthfires (BSA)

Dragonborn (BSA)

Skyrim Directors Cut (Strings only)

Unofficial High Resolution Patch (EN)

Unofficial High Resolution Patch (GER)

I hope that solves everything...

Edited by blattgeist

The new install order means there is no need to extract any BSAs.

Does that mean that the old install order (1. DLCs 2. HighResPacks 3. USPs 4. UHRP) is fine for people that extract the USP BSAs?

Edited by blattgeist

Wait there is?Do we make a dummy mod and put it there?

Yes, a dummy mod works. I put SKSE.ini into a folder to let it appear as a mod, and to have easier access to it.

Can you answer my last question please?^^

Here is a screenshot of my MO archives tab: https://s7.directupload.net/images/140625/ml5ghww3.jpg

So do I need to do this special method of sorting official BSAs before their corresponding USP folder in MO even when extracting the USP BSAs during the installation?

I know that you said that extracting BSAs is not necessary anymore with the new sorting method, but I generally exctract BSAs and want to continue doing so. That's why I ask if the old method is valid for people who extract their mod (including USP) BSAs during installation.

Edited by blattgeist