SKYUI and Forgotten Magic Redone = No illusion dual casting

zombiecurse

Question

Alright . . .

I've been working on this for the last week or so. Basically, I've discovered that if you're using Forgotten Magic Redone (FMR) and SKYUI together (I'm actually not sure if FMR can be used without SKYUI), for some reason it will cause the dual casting of illusion spells such as fury not to work at the magnitude they're supposed to. Instead of the effect being amplified (I believe it's supposed to effect creatures 2.1 levels higher than the base single cast), it just does the same thing as the single cast for more than double the mana.

I have talked to the mod author Sward66 about this and he's replicated the bug in his game. After a lot of testing done with the fury spell, my findings are as follows:

• Just SKYUI: Double casting fury works 100% of the time.
  • Just FMR: Double casting fury works 100% of the time.
  • Just SKYUI and FMR: Double casting fury works roughly 5% of the time. When it does work, it works only once that play session and then never again.
  • SKUI and the rest of my load order (a lot of MCM mods in here) EXCEPT FMR: Double casting fury works 50% - 75% of the time.
  • SKYUI and my entire load order, including FMR: Same results as described above for Just SKYUI and FMR.

The message I get when the spell doesn't work is always something along the lines of "That enemy is too powerful to be affected by this spell." This problem does not affect self-cast mods like invisibility, just illusion mods that affect npcs. Dual casting for other schools of magic seems to work fine (tested it with destruction so far).

Sward66 believes this is some kind of timing error caused by the spell having to run through all the extra behind-the-scenes perks FMR adds once the fury spell hits its target to see if it needs to apply some kind of effect to that target. I should point out that I've looked at my papyrus logs, and I can't find anything for scripts being run on the NPCs I'm testing this with in there. However, I'd like to test the theory. Does anyone know any way to modify the Papyrus or SKYUI settings to open up the window of time that the spell has to run through the possible effects it's checking for? I've seen a lot of Papyrus tweaks on here but I'm not sure which of them apply in my situation.

Also want to again note that even without FMR installed, using fury spells with SKYUI and the rest of my load order installed is not a sure thing. It seems like there's something happening where some of the other MCM using mods I've installed are having the same effect as FMR, but on a much  lesser scale. With just SKYUI installed, everything works fine. With SKYUI and the rest of my load order, getting a dual cast fury to have the intended effect on a target within the proper level range is a bit of a crapshoot. With SKYUI, the rest of my mods installed, and FMR, it's a losing bet almost every time. However, removing everything else from my load order doesn't solve the problem between FMR and SKYUI.

I've tried reinstalling SKSE and SKYUI. I have tried downgrading SKSE to the last stable version (was using the alpha). I have tried downgrading through a couple versions of FMR. I have reinstalled Skyrim multiple times on two different SSD drives. I have turned off overclocking on my PC. I can consistently reproduce this with just Skyrim, SKYUI, SKSE and FMR.

The only other thing I have to add is that whether or not it worked seemed to partially depend on what cells I had passed through. If I used Alternate Start - Live Another Life and the "New Member of a guild" Companions starting option, I could have FMR and SKYUI installed and effectively dual-cast fury on Skjor in Jorrvaskr 50% - 75% of the time. He was a good npc to test on, as he starts at level 10. The base effect for single-casting fury is up to level 6 npcs, and the double-casting level cap should be around 12-14. However, if I used the "Camping in the Woods" option with live another life and ran to Jorrvaskr, double-casting fury would barely ever work on him (roughly 5% of the time, same as the situations I listed above). If I started the game normally in the cart to Helgen, it would also barely ever work.

*Whew*

If anyone has any thoughts on this, I'd appreciate hearing them.

Edited by zombiecurse

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet