Photo

Overwhelmed by Conflict Resolutiion

Best Answer Muladhara86 , 30 June 2014 - 05:14 PM

I'm not sure how I could have missed the "Alpha" disclaimer.  Now I'm really discouraged.

EDIT:  I am making headway.  It's helping me understand what I'm really doing better than playtesting, in some ways.  I feel like this helped make things feel a little more manageable.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Muladhara86

Muladhara86

Guard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 01:09 AM

I've been trying to get a modded version of Skyrim off the ground for months now, and I feel like I'm soo close.  I recently discovered STEP and the guides and packs have been invaluable.

My machine isn't the greatest, so when I started building SR:LE from the ground up I skipped a lot of purely graphical improvements.  I then layered REGS on top of that, followed by most of VEGA Extended, and finally some choice mods.

For testing, I have a series of completely vanilla saves to use, some made with "coc" commands and others with an .ini tweak for an alternate start.  I even downloaded a vanilla save @ 81 with the MQ completed.  I've used the console to boost my speedmult (ran from Riften to Falkreath to Solitude), to spawn in dragons at Whiterun, and to make myself godlike for a melee in Solitude.  I've been able to get the game to run wonderfully in a vanilla state, a basic framework of mods (patches/fixes, models & textures, animations, some gameplay), and with just REGS.  However, once I try a more comprehensive load order things stop working so well.  

I seem to have eliminated ILSs (all borderless fullscreen modes were the culprits).  I am still getting random CTDs, usually after a loading screen, and especially after auto-loading after death.  I've been using Skyrim Performance Monitor and I don't seem to be hitting the RAM limit.  I should note that I am using SKSE v1.7.0 and ENBoost v5.0, and I've enabled Papyrus logging; I seem to have removed all mods with troublesome scripts by now.

I'm pretty sure my problems can be solved by conflict resolution, but for a neophyte with little time to commit the prospect is overwhelming.  I've already read the FNVEdit guide and I've watched Sharlikran's Conflict Resolution (rough draft) video.  Even having recently read a post here on values that don't need a compatibility patch, each time I sit down to do this I feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall.  I've started this thread to solicit assistance, be it in the form of shortcuts I can take, new resources to reference, tips, tricks, advice, etc.

What I've done so far is create an automatic patch through TES5Edit, then I set out by trying to forward the changes from the unofficial patches.  I keep ending up running out of time in my modding sessions, and by that point I've got no idea if I've done more harm than good.

Below, I have posted the mods I'm using.  I've separated them by category and roughly arranged them by the order I want to load them in (I'm not sure how to arrange the follower mods, though).  If I've greatly miscategorized something I can easily move it.  I've been allowing LOOT to sort my load order and MO to sort my priority order.  If you see any mods with glaring incompatibilities or redundancies that I've missed, or any that are known to be unstable, please let me know.

Edited by Muladhara86, 30 June 2014 - 01:40 AM.

#2 Muladhara86

Muladhara86

Guard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 01:29 AM

I'd also like to include my .ini files, since I hear changing values there can cause problems.  I've built them from vanilla and included every change with comments.

Skyrim.ini

SkyrimPrefs.ini

ENBLocal.ini

Edited by Muladhara86, 30 June 2014 - 01:30 AM.

#3 Quinnbeast

Quinnbeast

Citizen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 02:03 PM

[font="verdana, geneva, sans-serif;"]Vega Extended? Is that the one that states "DEVELOPMENT STAGE: ALPHA. DO NOT USE....[color=rgb(177,177,177);background-color:rgb(53,56,59);]pack cannot guarantee that you will be crash-free" ?  :;):[/color][/font][color=rgb(177,177,177);font-family:verdana, geneva, sans-serif;background-color:rgb(53,56,59);] [/color]

[font="verdana, geneva, sans-serif;"]If it's still the case that VEGA runs off STEP 2.2.7 and is unsupported, then it becomes a little more difficult to do the bug-squashing. VEGA (basic) was also designed to run with STEP Core if the comments in the original VEGA pack are anything to go (i.e. largely untested with SRLE), and the Extended guide isn't actually complete by an means, so a bumpy ride is perhaps to be expected.[/font]

I was tempted to have a stab at the basic VEGA pack, but decided to go with a combination that's fully supported and up-to-date, because it means you really get to pick the brains of the people that are putting it together while it's a work-in-progress and add in your own comments to help with fine-tuning. I've had great success with Core/REGS/Requiem, and might start looking at Core/Regs/MMO now that it's out of WIP status. None of this helps you of course, so my apologies for waffling on, but personally I find Core + REGS to be an excellent and stable starting point. it might be worth trimming back to the VEGA:Core pack at least...

#4 EssArrBee

EssArrBee

Incompatibilism Manager

• STEP Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,721 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 03:12 PM

The new gameplay overhaul pack seems to be a bit more up to date and has active support. Not sure what happened with VEGA, but sometimes we lose members, just part of the biz.

#5 Nearox

Nearox

High King

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:28 PM

Yah I might as well remove it tbh and the other vega as well as it is outdated and the gameplay overhaul pack is a lot better.

#6 Muladhara86

Muladhara86

Guard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 05:14 PM   Best Answer

I'm not sure how I could have missed the "Alpha" disclaimer.  Now I'm really discouraged.

EDIT:  I am making headway.  It's helping me understand what I'm really doing better than playtesting, in some ways.  I feel like this helped make things feel a little more manageable.

Edited by Muladhara86, 02 July 2014 - 08:45 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users