RS Children Overhaul

Neovalen

RS Children Overhaul by Ranaline

Finally a children mod that doesn't make the kids look anime.

What this mod does currently...

• Modifies the existing child races in the game to use custom assets: textures, head meshes, body meshes, etc.
  • Changes the faces of all children in the base game, Hearthfire, and Dragonborn
  • Adds some basic clothing and accessories made from vanilla assets (currently only boys), and a more unique one for Aventus
  • (Optional) Enables children as a playable race. Download the .esm under "Optional Files".
  • (Optional) Enables compatibility with ECE, including its custom sliders, basic Expressions, and Vertex Edit. Download patch under "Miscellaneous".
  • (Optional) Includes Nao4288's Female Facial Animation, if you don't want to use the vanilla facial animations included by default. Works with both genders. Download is under "Miscellaneous" - you don't need the original files for it to work.

Only concern really is compatibility, as you need custom facegen/meshes for children added in mods. The author is planning on putting out compatibility patches for the major ones out there though such as Falskaar, Interesting/Inconsequential NPCs, and Wyrmstooth. All vanilla children are currently covered.

• +1 1

This could push TK Children out of my line up. The playable option is, well, optional so that's nice. If there was a Prince & Pauper patch (or better yet additional included clothing for all the children) plus patches for Inconsequential NPCs and the New Lands (FS & WT) I'd be having xmas in July.

Looks good. Probably the best one I have sawded. If I were to be picky, the females are too super model-ish. They look a lot older than they are.

Edited by Guest

Wait. There are kids in Skyrim? I always thought they were some subspecies of gremlin. I'm liking pretty much everything but the hair on a few, a couple like the Jarl's son in Whiterun look kind of like they were just at an anime convention...

Wait. There are kids in Skyrim? I always thought they were some subspecies of gremlin. I'm liking pretty much everything but the hair on a few, a couple like the Jarl's son in Whiterun look kind of like they were just at an anime convention...

Well at least you won't run under your bed to hide anymore with that mod installed. I really want to know what the developers were thinking when they designed those vanilla monstrosities.

I'll take vanilla children over 99% of the mods on Skyrim anytime of a day. Goddamn stupid anime jumping at me from around every corner. Honestly, japenese stuff should remain in Japan.

This looks like it _could_ be the 1%. It still looks... I can't describe it! ENB-cartoonish?, but at least not anime.

Edited by Octopuss
  • +1 1

IMO hateful comments don't have a place here. If you don't care for something a simple "I prefer the vanilla style" would suffice, better yet constructively criticize. A shared mod is a gift, if you can't use it you can still be grateful. As for sometimes harsh criticism of the games paid designers, I pay them to take that.

• +1 1

IMO hateful comments don't have a place here. If you don't care for something a simple "I prefer the vanilla style" would suffice, better yet constructively criticize. A shared mod is a gift, if you can't use it you can still be grateful. As for sometimes harsh criticism of the games paid designers, I pay them to take that.

Talking to me?

I didn't say a single bad word about the mod.

• +1 1

Not to judge but it is this statement that causes the controversy and is what "Red's" complaint was likely to be about.

"Goddamn stupid anime jumping at me from around every corner. Honestly, japenese stuff should remain in Japan."

Though it could also have been to do with your suggestion that 99% of the children mods out there are worse than vanilla - a bit of a faux pas wouldn't you say?

It comes across as though you have something against Japanese people and or Japan. If you do you should keep it to yourself this is not the place for it, not that there should be any kind of place for that kind of talk. Of course if you don't have anything against our south east Asian friends then you need to choose your words more carefully. If you don't like anime then that's fine lots of people don't but also many people do, but that is certainly not the STEP approach because anime is not very realistic but instead is a very stylised representation of characters. It's not my taste but I am happy to accept that it is other peoples choice and that is fine.

This mod adds to the realism and is currently in my current play through thanks to SR:LE. Anything that can help make a cartoon less cartoonish is going to improve the realism, after all if the game wants us to adopt the little blighters the the least they can do is look and act like kids.

::):

• +1 2

No faux pas at all. It's called opinions. Let's agree to disagree.

And yes I shouldn't have vented my dislike for anime and frustration from seeing so many such themed mods every day.

This mod is not bad at all, compared to the majority of other such mods on Nexus.

Edited by Octopuss
  • +1 1

This is just too much of a perfect chance to not post this:

Posted Image

It's like it was made for this precise moment.  :lol:

So far then...

Advantages:

- Better than other similar mods.

Disadvantages:

- A bit cartoon-ish.

- Girls look like shrunken women because they are.

Any more advantages?