RS Children Overhaul

Neovalen

Please keep the topic on the mod, and leave the moderation to... well me and the rest of the purple/pink squad! 

If you find something is out of line then make a report of it and it will be looked at, please do not make posts that will just derail the thread! 

As for the mod then it is interesting, since children have always been a rather weird thing in skyrim... so nice to see more mods that provide a different perspective on it. 

I personally did both Aiyen so it was technically fine. I derailed it and posted about the mod in one post. It's what all the cool kids are doing nowadays - get with the times!  :;):

I cannot understand why they made the children worse than Fallout 3 though. In fact they made a lot of things worse than in Fallout 3. Do they just throw the work they did away to make stuff terrible on purpose? I also think they should have added a grow up spell to the game so we could have technically killed them as adults. It would have been a way to get around the controversy, whilst still being able to kill the annoying brats.

Edit: Removed cranky ( :;): ) Octoowl statement as I thought it would be the decent thing to do after the edit. 

Edited by Guest

On a technical note, you'll need to rebuild you bashed patch after installing this mod. Might need a stats tag on the USKPComplete esp, checking into it. It sorts correctly with LOOT as far as I can see. The Non-Essential Children patch is good, and the merged USKPcomplete esp is perfect. Has a minor conflict with Bring Out Your Dead (Eirid won't be buried if he somehow gets killed). All easy things to work with. I'll be checking out this mod to see if it is a candidate for testing. The Gamwich childrenclothes textures optional look impressive from the screens.

I put this in my load order not too long after this topic first appeared, and while (as noted) there is a slight japanamation look (mostly with the males), it's still one heck of an improvement over vanilla. Combined with Prince and the Pauper (for which a patch does exist), the clothing is even more impressive. If this does go into testing my initial feel is that it may fall just short of Core (due to the non-vanilla japanese look), but Extended would benefit from it I think.

With the addition of Falskaar / Wyrmstooth patches (ETaC, Inconsequential / Interesting NPCs, Prince & Pauper already complete), and Moon & Star plus Populated series patches coming soon, this looks like a complete replacer. I second the nomination for Extended, and to be honest could see it in Core (I'm not getting the "non-lore" feel others apparently are, BTW if you are using the "bigger head" option I would suggest reconsidering checking that box).

• 2 weeks later...

All stop.

I took a closer look a night or two ago at the kids running around in Dragonsreach, and saw something that I either missed thier first time, or has somehow changed since initial install. I'm guessing the former.

Basically, the heads and necks are not actually attached to the bodies... not sure how that's possible, but it's what I'm seeing, and it's been confirmed by at least one other player. I've tried to see if it's related somehow to one of the other mods that it requires patches to work with, but no joy - as far as I can tell, it's the mod itself. I have left a note in the mod's T/S forum, and we'll see what that brings us, but for now, I'd have to pull back my recommendation.

So if I am reading this right, there isn't any known incompatibilism with STEP mods in it's current form, correct? I would really like to try this mod, been looking for a decent children mod to replace those nasty boring children's that run around wanting to call me daddy, ugly wretched creatures, begone with you! Ahem, so, is this good with STEP?

Regarding RS Children Patches by Thordir;

Erenar posts the following:Getting the following in the Wyrmstooth patch:

[024E7FF8] <Error: Could not be resolved> for Signy and Jonsi's faction.

Anything to be worried about?

posted @ 13:19, 21 Jul 2014

I replied as EProctor:

Found the same when trying to merge various RS patches/plugins. Unable to incorporate the Wyrmstooth patch due to that error. I had a look in the CK and it seems the TES5Edit crime faction error in Signy & Jonsi is related to WTTheHermitFaction. I copied Joric's Government & Hjaalmarch factions to the Wyrmstooth kids in place of the WTTheHermitFaction and left Signy's other WT faction in place. A crude "fix", but it did correct the error to TES5Edit's satisfaction, perhaps it will work until the patch receives an update.

Good advice, I should be more diligent in checking them. I noticed this when attempting to merge various RS related plugins and then saw the reference to it in the forum postings. Tweaking the factions for those two kids "fixed" it enough that I could complete my merge, so I figured I'd post my results for the possible benefit to the patch author and other users.

[spoiler=RS BoS New Lands Merged]Patch Falskaar RS kidsPatch Wyrm RS kidsRS Children CompleteRS Children Patch USKPBooks of SkyrimRS Children Patch BoS

I was successful in merging the RS plugins, New Lands patches as well as Books of Skyrim & its RS patch (although the BoS assets did create meshes & textures folders which I placed in a mod with the merged plugin).

ETaC, Inconsequential NPCs and Prince and Pauper weren't playing nice in the merge so I still have those standalone.

I've personally had zero issues with said mod. I've seen the yarls kids many many times... Maybe a conflict of some type?

More like than not - I just can't seem to figure out where that incompatibility lies. After pulling each of the patches (with the associated individual mod), I was seeing it even with just RS children itself. Turn it off, back to normal. I can't think what the problem would be, since I KNOW it was working fine for a while... then suddenly BAM. Wierd necked children. I'll have to look at my other non-step mods, but none of them modify children at all (at least, not that doesn't have a patch associated), so I'm quite at a loss.

Were it not for this, I'd be all over this mod more.

As for you, Slinky... grab it. I seem to be all alone in the problems department here, and it really does look good. :)

EDIT/ADDON:

OK, try to follow me here, because I'm pretty sure it'll be pretty incoherant. I've looked at the order that RSchildren, it's patches, and the other mods for which those patches apply are ordered by LOOT, and I think I may see the problem. The applicable portion of the load order is thus:

RSkyrim Children - 12ETaC Complete - 45ETaC DBS - 52ETaC - RS Children Patch - 82Prince and the Pauper - 112Non Essential Children - 113RSChildren - NEC Patch - 115Inconsequential NPCs - 134PnP - RS - Inconsequential NPCs Patch - 136RS Complete - 137RS - Inconsequential NPC Patch - 138RS USKP Patch - 139

Now, most of this KIND of makes sence to me, but shouldn't RS Children (slot 137) be much higher in the order? Like, above the ETaC Patch even? I looked at LOOT, and I don't see a way to modify the meta rules where LOOT doesn't see the mods conflict. Now, I only JUST put in the PnP stuffs (after I posted originally on the problem, actually, since I was hoping that would somehow make it better... ok, that sounded dumb...), so I know they aren't the cause of the problem either, and as I mentioned earlier, the problem seems to be there no matter what when the RS children stuff is installed. Any ideas here?

EDIT Part the Second:

Now I am completely confused. I went back and redid the mod placements one by one, activating them all in turn and verifying them in game before placing the next one, using Nelkir (Jarl Balgruufs son) as the test child. It all worked. Yay! And then I went out the door, and saw little Lucia... and her floating head. Horrified, I returned to Dragonsreach, to find Nelkir's firmly attached to his shoulders.

Uhm... maybe a Hearthfires patch I missed somewhere?

Edited by Shadriss

...AAAAAAAAnd solved. Guy on the Nexus figured out this problem. It's so out there, I would never have considered this one. Turns out that Vividian ENB does some stuffs with the nifs for children, which were overwriting the RS Children changes. I moved the ENB files WAY up in the load order (as in, before Distant Decal Fix) and had an instant fix. Consider this an FYI, and a full restoral of my endorsement for Step Extended for this mod. :)

• +1 1