force constant clock speed for kepler GPU's

hopefully this may help someone here with a kepler gpu too. I got fed up with my GPU's dynamically clocking themselves in skyrim, resulting in more stuttering than would normally occur so I decided to research how to disable kepler boost.

I found a great guide on how to force consistent clocks here

but I recommend using a .bat file for easy access, I made one using their templates to force my custom overclock and the pstate on both of my GPU's (don't copy verbatim obviously):

"C:\Program Files (x86)\nvidia inspector\nvidiaInspector.exe" -setBaseClockOffset:0,0,118 -setMemoryClockOffset:0,0,444 -setpowertarget:0,135 -setVoltageOffset:0,0,187500 -setGPUClock:0,2,1163 -setMemoryClock:0,2,3445 -forcepstate:0,2

"C:\Program Files (x86)\nvidia inspector\nvidiaInspector.exe" -setBaseClockOffset:1,0,118 -setMemoryClockOffset:1,0,444 -setpowertarget:1,135 -setVoltageOffset:1,0,187500 -setGPUClock:1,2,1163 -setMemoryClock:1,2,3445 -forcepstate:1,2

Note: this will make them run in full power mode ALL the time (or at least until the next reboot). but you can force power management clocks again by using nvidia inspector's Multi Display Power Saver (Use the Windows 7 jumplist for quick access to Multi Display Power Manager after pinning nvidia inspector to start menu/taskbar, or by right clicking the "Show Overclocking" button on the main Nvidia Inspector window to get to Multi Display Power Saver, then putting a checkbox next to each GPU. But remember to uncheck before you game again!)

you can run them full power mode all the time with this, that's the point. you just have to run the batch file at startup that forces the card(s) into P2 power mode and your specified clocks. I haven't really noticed a difference, but I imagine it is reducing stutter a little bit since the cards clocks aren't jumping all around

Edit: Dayum! three 680's now i'm jealous :D I wish I could Tri-SLi a 680 with my 690

In your case, you'd need three nvidia inspector lines one for each card. well, technically you can run it all in one command but I find it easier to read when separate.

so lets say you wanted a 1200mhz OC on each card (assuming it's stable) and 3400 mem, you'd do something like this:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\nvidia inspector\nvidiaInspector.exe" -setBaseClockOffset:0,0,500 -setMemoryClockOffset:0,0,500 -setpowertarget:0,135 -setVoltageOffset:0,0,187500 -setGPUClock:0,2,1200 -setMemoryClock:0,2,3400 -forcepstate:0,2

"C:\Program Files (x86)\nvidia inspector\nvidiaInspector.exe" -setBaseClockOffset:1,0,500 -setMemoryClockOffset:1,0,500 -setpowertarget:1,135 -setVoltageOffset:1,0,187500 -setGPUClock:1,2,1200 -setMemoryClock:1,2,3400 -forcepstate:1,2

"C:\Program Files (x86)\nvidia inspector\nvidiaInspector.exe" -setBaseClockOffset:2,0,500 -setMemoryClockOffset:2,0,500 -setpowertarget:2,135 -setVoltageOffset:2,0,187500 -setGPUClock:2,2,1200 -setMemoryClock:2,2,3400 -forcepstate:2,2

note: I set boost clock to +500 and mem to +500 just so there's headroom for the P2 power mode to go whereever you want it to. the P2 mode is limited by P0, so P0 has to be equal or greater

Edit: also if you want to temporarily force the cards to power management mode (324MHz) I recommend pinning nvidia inspector to start menu or taskbar, the jumplist has "Multi Display Power Saver" on it for easy access.

Edit2: and I wouldn't recommend running EVGA Precision X or MSI Afterburner, it may mess with the power modes and force it back into P0 again (unconfirmed though). if you want to monitor your stuff, nvidia inspector has some nice monitor graphs.

well, technically 1202Mhz would be where it lands for a ~1200'ish OC, setting 1200 ends up at 1189. i'm sure you know keplers have multipliers of 13 basically.

but that was just my guess for a safe 680 OC, how far have you pushed yours? my 690 only does about 1163 stable (though I'm testing lower memory to see if I can get to 1200)

you sure it's stable at that memory clock? I was getting artifacts at 500 and above in EVGA OC Scanner w/ "Heavy Mode" enabled after a few minutes of testing, though you could have some good cards. from my understanding most people are at 7GHz or lower. the artifacts don't always get detected by the artifact scanning in OC Scanner though, so you have to watch for visual anomalies. as for regular core artifacts, i found that watching Heaven run for a few minutes was enough. like around 1189-1202 and I get some green triangle things. (but 680's OC better than 690's). OC Scanner in "heavy mode" is an unrealistic core stress since it just makes the GPU's downclock due to reaching the power limit of 135% but it's fine for memory

sorry, I edited above post while you were reading (I think) ^^

Edit: also, OC Scanner in "heavy mode" is just like furmark was before they power limited it. in fact, i believe it was written by the same people that make furmark and then branded EVGA, just like EVGA Precision and MSI Afterburner are really rivatuner. and same goes for MSI kombuster, but I'm not sure if they have a "heavy mode" (i.e. disables power throttling). just don't run OC Scanner or Kombuster overnight or anything with heavy mode, or your cards might *really* combust :D

you sure it's stable at that memory clock?

I can't say it was 100% stable, but it passed a number of 3DMark Vantage and Heaven Benchmarks at that speed with no visible artifacts. I didn't do any real-world gaming though so who knows. I felt like it shouldn't be stable at that speed since it seems like most people hit a wall at around 500, so I backed it down. I doubt there's any real-world performance gains to be had there anyway.