General Questions Thread

DepartedCitizen-00004

Question

Hi, I'm in the process of installing STEP, from the very beginning and I'm doing INI tweaks at the moment, I stumbled upon this earlier and was wondering if whether it has been tested with STEP and deemed irrelevant/unnecessary. I could not find another topic mentioning this so I started the thread. I would think this is quite a useful tweak to include provided it works.https://itcprosolutions.com/skyrimguides/tweak_guide.htm#multicpu 

Edited by sidspyker

Well, might as well use this topic instead of creating countless new ones. I'm installing SKSE and I'm confused about the instructions. 

What exactly am I supposed to do? I placed the exe and 2 dlls in the default skyrim folder. But what's that about repackaging it? I'm not sure I understand what's going on in that. What I understand is I am to extract the data folder from SKSE(which would result in all the files going to Skyrim's own Data folder however) and then add the ini and then create a new archive for MO installation.Just to test, I extracted the /Data/ folder from the SKSE archive to a separate location, made an SKSE folder with an skse.ini and the relevant data inside. Put it back into a skse.rar and tried to install with mod manager, I didn't notice any change in the /Data/ directory of Skyrim. It's not got the SKSE folder, not the scripts folder.

Edited by sidspyker

You are not the first, I had the same problem a few days ago. Maybe the description will be redone in the new release, I dont know.

This is what helped me:

Posted 27 March 2014 - 02:17 PM

Sorry about that - my mind is so full of mods these days.

First of all, ignore the repackaging advice in the special install instructions; there is absolutely no need to do that.  Try these steps:

1. Place the <<skse_1_06_16.7z>> file in your ...Mod Organizerdownloadsfolder exactly as you downloaded it.

2. Extract the <<skse_loader.exe>>, the <<skse_1_9_32.dll>>, and the <<skse_steam_loader.dll>> files to your ..Skyrim directory.

3. Start Mod Organiser, double-click <<skse_1_06_16.7z>> under the downloads tab in the right-hand panel to start the install process. [iGNORE the exclamation mark next to the file]

4. Left-click the arrow next to <<skse_1_05_16>> to open the contents. You'll see a list of files and folders. The ONLY folder you are interested in is labelled "Data" the others are of no concern. If you left-click the arrow next to "Data", you'll see it contains a sub-folder labelled "scripts".

6 Right-click "Data" and select "Set data directory".

7 The red writing at the bottom of the panel will change to a green "Looks good".

8 Click OK, and you're done.

• +1 1

Thanks BUBISHI. This however has been updated for 1.7.0 alpha and there's an additional step there to enable the memory patch.https://wiki.step-project.com/Skyrim_Script_Extender#RecommendationsEven after installing via your method, I don't see any changes reflected in Skyrim's own Data folder, the structure is the same, scripts didn't get copied into it.EDIT: Unless I'm looking at it the wrong way and it's supposed to be in mods folder where I see it.

Edited by sidspyker

The way I understand it - but I'm still a noob, MO manages the data folder from SKSE.

If You install the data folder with MO it will not appear in Skyrim/data but in MO/mods/ and is injected every time You launch Skyrim via MO.

I'm not completelly sure but if I start the game after the installation and hit ESC I can see a SKSE version number in the left bottom corner of the menue.

For me this means everything is working.

But maybe a STEP pro can confirm this.

Regarding the .ini file: it should be placed in Skyrim/data/SKSE and edited manually.

Edited by BUBISHI

Nice. But still wait for an o.k. for one of the more experianced members, please.

The MO loaded script folder must still be ticked in the left panel und used with every MO profile. The priority of the scripts does not matter, just tick them.

It never worked for me, too. I got used to download the archives manually from Nexus.

If You want to keep the archive as back up You can place it in MO/downloads - the archives is visible in the right downloads panel then.

You can also backup the archives anywhere you like, on an externel drive or else. You will not need them untill You want to reload, I prefer to keep the download folder clean.

If You want to install a downloaded mod archive it is not necessery to have it in MO/downloads. You can install a mod from the desktop and after MO copies it to MO/mods You can delete the archive file.

Edited by BUBISHI

I guess that will be covered in 2.2.9. I assume 'upgrading' from one STEP version to next is covered somewhere too?On a different note Unofficial Skyrim Patch has an optional small fix, I see no mention of it since it just came out on June 25th, is overwriting USKP with the fix before installing recommended?EDIT:And Weapons and Armour Fixes has changed quite a bit, I'm not sure what to do here.

Edited by sidspyker

I can confirm that this post appears to be the correct way to install SKSE. This helped me as well.

A nice way of checking if SKSE is installed and working is to open the console in-game and type "GetSKSEVersion" (without the quotation marks) and press Enter.  It should prompt a response with your current SKSE version.  If an error message displays, something is wrong.  You also, most likely, won't be able to launch SKSE through the Mod Organizer if it (SKSE) was installed incorrectly.

Edited by ADD1CTED_GAM3R
  • +1 1