General Questions Thread

DepartedCitizen-00004

Question

Hi, I'm in the process of installing STEP, from the very beginning and I'm doing INI tweaks at the moment, I stumbled upon this earlier and was wondering if whether it has been tested with STEP and deemed irrelevant/unnecessary. I could not find another topic mentioning this so I started the thread. I would think this is quite a useful tweak to include provided it works.https://itcprosolutions.com/skyrimguides/tweak_guide.htm#multicpu 

Edited by sidspyker

When you create a new profile it will copy all of your current mods over as well as your INI files/tweaks. It's an exact copy. This is done by going into the Manage Profiles area, then click your current profile and click the Copy button and give it a new name (like Step Extended). So, once you create a new profile just add mods to that profile and play with that profile.

Word of note, when you add mods to any profile it adds them to all profiles. Meaning, if you create a new profile called Step Extended and then add a new mod to that profile, it also adds it to your Step Core profile. However, by checking it in your Step Extended profile and leaving it unchecked in your Step Core profile then it is only active in the Extended profile. You'll see what I mean once you create a new profile and add mods and then switch back and forth.

I mention this only because you DO NOT WANT to delete these extra unchecked mods from your Step Core profile. Because it will delete them from all profiles.

Disclaimer: this was the behavior I experienced with 1.2.4 version of MO. Not sure if he's changed it for 1.2.9.

Edited by Vaportrails

I see, so what about the Bash Patch then? Do I have to create a secondary one for STEP Extended?I installed STEP Core and now I'm planning to install STEP Extended, my question is, while installing CORE I obviously took some decisions that were for CORE only, like compatibility with other mods which are in Extended and I was not planning to install initially. So now how do I revisit them and change accordingly?And another question, MO has "priority" levels in it, and since all the mods are installed in the Mods folder in their own directories and not overwritten, I am wondering why some mods need to be installed "in order" since you can just change the priority.I have also noticed one singular missing texture(purple) it's all the chandeliers in the game. I guess I will probably follow this to find outhttps://forum.step-project.com/topic/3047-howto-identify-missing-textures/

Edited by sidspyker

Okay so I now have 3 profilesSTEP Core

STEP ExtendedMiscI have Bashed Patches for all 3, but the things in Extended and Misc don't have any effect on the game. Do I have to enable the bashed patches for all 3 within Core? At present Core BP is enabled in STEP Core, Extended BP is enabled in STEP Extended profiles and so on.EDIT:Tried enabling all 3 within in the same profile, that didn't work.

Edited by sidspyker

You can only use one profile for a game. You can switch profiles between games. They don't work together, they are upgrades.

• You first profile should be STEPcore. This one is only composed of green marked mods from the guide. When you create the Bashed Patch for this profile only those mods are seen in Wrye Bash. When You move the Bashed Patch.esp from Overwrites name it Bashed Parch_core for instance.

• Then You COPY your STEPcore profile and name it STEPextended. Here You have to add the missing mods from the list and arrange the recommended priority. Maybe you have to reinstall some mods with new extended settings. Untick the Bashed Parch_core before you start Wrye for this profile. Now you see core mods + extended mods in the Wrye Bash plugin panel. Wrye Bash should create a new Bashed Patch into Overwrites. Move it up and name it Bashed Patch_extended.

Tick this mod for STEP extended.

• You can do this for any future profile. The profiles don't work together are upgraded from core to extented to whatever mod setup you want to add ontop.

That is how I understand STEP, someone should correct me, please, if I'm wrong.

Alternately you can download (this is true for STEP 2.2.8 and STEP 2.2.9) all of the mods and install both the green mods and the non-green mods in the STEP guide and set Extended up first then copy the profile and rename it Core. Then all you have to do is untick the mods that aren't green.