The 418th Step (by Chesko)

directedbubble04

• 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...

Only I who thinks that this looks horribly a lot like an amateur photo editor just added some text onto a stone and applied simple layers styles? It does not look real at all. Especially the snow version. How would a stone inscription be visible though a layer of snow? And the non-snow-version, I do not think that such an inscription would really be legible on such a rugged surface. I have only looked at the screenshots on the Nexus page though. Nevertheless, I really like the idea.

Edited by TorNyan

Only I who thinks that this looks horribly a lot like an amateur photo editor just added some text onto a stone and applied simple layers styles? It does not look real at all. Especially the snow version. How would a stone inscription be visible though a layer of snow? And the non-snow-version, I do not think that such an inscription would really be legible on such a rugged surface. I have only looked at the screenshots on the Nexus page though. Nevertheless, I really like the idea.

Yeah, it really needs a depth map so it looks like the words are chiseled into the stone.  And maybe in regards to snow you could give the user an action to "clear snow off of the step" which would reveal the inscription.

• 3 months later...

Despite it's inclusion into Core, I've never put it into the mix. As was said at one point, eating up a esp slot for a single step that I was never even able to find (maybe I can't count?) never made sense to me. I know Lore is an important thing for STEP, but is it really so important that we push another script and esp slot for a single step?

I think we should consider this, and if this mod needs to be continued to be included in STEP:Core.

Yes, The 418th Step mod is really silly. It's like the part in Cosmopolis where Eric Packer has his custom-built limousine lined with cork to shut out street noise. He knows that it doesn't actually work ("How could it?"), but what matters to him is that he cared enough to ask for it and pay for it. So I guess it just fits nicely with my sense of humor to keep Chesko's joke mod in.

BTW, trying to find the 418th step by counting is extraordinarily difficult. Apparently there are only 7000 steps if you count one step made of four pieces of stone (like "- - - -") as four steps. So each step your character makes up the mountain counts as approx 3-4 steps each. Even when you do manage to find the step in question, the changes introduced by the mod are so subtle that you can easily miss it. If you look in the posts section of the mod page there are posted images that visually show you where to find the inscription.

@Tech - is there some reason we hold onto this mod in particular that hasn't been discussed? I like Chesko's stuff as a general rule, but as a general rule his mods add something to the game, and unless I've missed something somewhere, this doesn't.