Texture Pack Combiner

Kelmych

So I tried to run the batch with all the files correctly placed, but when I pressed the any key I got this error a few hundred times (once for every texture?)

'XCOPY' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
How is the most basic copy function broken? o.0

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I tried to run the batch with all the files correctly placed' date=' but when I pressed the [i']any[/i] key I got this error a few hundred times (once for every texture?)

'XCOPY' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Either your PATH environment variable is corrupt, or your xcopy.exe doesn't exist or is corrupt.

So I tried to run the batch with all the files correctly placed' date=' but when I pressed the [i']any[/i] key I got this error a few hundred times (once for every texture?)

Either your PATH environment variable is corrupt' date=' or your xcopy.exe doesn't exist or is corrupt.[/quote']

I have no idea what those are, any idea how to diagnose them?

WOW this is very promising' date=' i encourage you guys to figure out if this can become a backbone for the next STEP update, maybe introducing serious texture mod as well.[/quote']

It's basically a manual list that copies the preferred textures from each set into one compounded folder.  Looking at the source for the batch file, it'd be very easy to write a program that does the same for any number of mods.  The problem is sorting through individual textures to find the preferred ones and creating a system/program to remember and edit the choice if new textures are added.

xcopy.exe is located in C:\Windows\system32 .

Run "cmd" without the quotes at the run command, then type "path" (no quotes) and then enter. You will see several lines of text showing all of the system directories that are automatically searched when you enter a command in the command window (these are the entries in the PATH environment variable). You should see C:\Windows\system32 on one of the lines.

I'm assuming you are a system administrator when running the batch command.

If there are no problems with xcopy and the PATH variable then there might be a permission problem of some sort.

xcopy.exe is located in C:\Windows\system32 .

Run "cmd" without the quotes at the run command, then type "path" (no quotes) and then enter. You will see several lines of text showing all of the system directories that are automatically searched when you enter a command in the command window (these are the entries in the PATH environment variable). You should see C:\Windows\system32 on one of the lines.

I'm assuming you are a system administrator when running the batch command.

If there are no problems with xcopy and the PATH variable then there might be a permission problem of some sort.

My PATH doesn't seem to have system32 as one of the folders, mostly a bunch of ATI/AMD folders as well as Qt.  How do I add system32?

My PATH doesn't seem to have system32 as one of the folders' date=' mostly a bunch of ATI/AMD folders as well as Qt.  How do I add system32?[/quote']

Windows 7:

• Right click on Computer and select Properties.
  • Click [Advanced system settings] on the left pane.
  • In the new window, click the [Environment Variables] button.
  • Under "System variables", locate the variable "Path", then double click it to edit.
  • You can copy the contents of the "Variable value" textbox, and paste it in a text editor to have a better visual of the contents. The following entry needs to be in there: "%SystemRoot%\system32"
For Vista:

• Right click on My Computer and select Properties.
  • Click the Advanced tab.
  • Continue from step 3 above.

To date STEP has used fairly coarse-grained selection criteria for the large texture mods, particularly those in STEP B1. The batch file approach allows more fine grained selection, such as Texture Pack Combiner does with textures from Serious HD Retexture Skyrim. If the fine-grained selection approach isn't really needed then the batch file is overkill, but if fine-grained selection is useful then batch files are one of the ways to do this.

I don't think there is lot of textures overlap in the three mods recently added in version 1.1 of Texture Pack Combiner, and there isn't any overlap I don't see a significant need for a batch file to select textures for those mods particularly as updates for each mod are likely to occur at different times. One advantage of the batch file for the first three mods in Texture Pack Combiner, at least for me, is that it is then quite easy to process the combined folder with DDSopt to create an optimized set of textures across all three of the large texture replacement mods.

Version 1.2 of Texture Pack Combiner has been released. This version add textures and meshes from Project Parallax - Markarth ,    Project Parallax - Solitude , Project Parallax - Whiterun , and Project Parallax - Windhelm . All of these require ENB. The Texture Pack Combiner description page includes a list of textures and meshes from Project Parallax that are not included because the Texture Pack Combiner author felt these had too much distortion. Even by itself that is very useful information for those planning to use Project Parallax textures and meshes.

v1.3

- Added support to combine Static Mesh Improvement Mod (SMIM).

- Added support to combine Trees HD Skyrim Variation.

- Added support to combine Ruins Clutter Improvement HD.

This guy's gonna run us out of business! Luckily the actual "program" is very simple and it's open source by nature so we can develop a similar batch for STEP.  I'm actually liking his choices, although it's hard to go wrong with the packs he's using.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I'm the creator of the TPC. I'm glad to hear that you're planning to add the TPC into STEP. If you have any suggestions or questions about my texture choices then feel free to post them here. Texture choice is very subjective so there will always be disagreements, but at least I may be able to explain the choices I have made.

While I'm here, I'm going to take the opportunity to ask if there is anyone knowledgeable enough in texture creation to modify a texture for me. I'm currently trying to incorporate Tobes Highres Textures into the TPC, but I have unfortunately come across a flaw in one of his main textures. You can see for yourself here:

https://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg517/cestral/Table_Wood_SinglePiece-1.jpg

https://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg517/cestral/Table_Wood_SinglePiece2-1.jpg

I'm fairly certain that the cause of this is merely a couple of black pixel lines at the top of the actual texture. I could probably download some software to edit this myself, but I'm not very familiar with DXT compressions.

The texture in question is:

textures\smim\clutter\upperclass\Table_Wood_SinglePiece.dds

And of course its corresponding normal map might have to be adjusted as well, although I'm not sure if that's entirely necessary.

Tobe himself states on his mod's page that it's fine to use his work for as long as he's credited for it. So if this texture is fixed, I could include it with the TPC itself.

Otherwise I'll feel forced to go with the SMIM texture instead, but I'm not a big fan of that particular texture.

Hello, I'm the creator of the TPC. I'm glad to hear that you're planning to add the TPC into STEP. If you have any suggestions or questions about my texture choices then feel free to post them here. Texture choice is very subjective so there will always be disagreements, but at least I may be able to explain the choices I have made.

While I'm here, I'm going to take the opportunity to ask if there is anyone knowledgeable enough in texture creation to modify a texture for me. I'm currently trying to incorporate Tobes Highres Textures into the TPC, but I have unfortunately come across a flaw in one of his main textures. You can see for yourself here:

https://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg517/cestral/Table_Wood_SinglePiece-1.jpg

https://i1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg517/cestral/Table_Wood_SinglePiece2-1.jpg

I'm fairly certain that the cause of this is merely a couple of black pixel lines at the top of the actual texture. I could probably download some software to edit this myself, but I'm not very familiar with DXT compressions.

The texture in question is:

textures\smim\clutter\upperclass\Table_Wood_SinglePiece.dds

And of course its corresponding normal map might have to be adjusted as well, although I'm not sure if that's entirely necessary.

Tobe himself states on his mod's page that it's fine to use his work for as long as he's credited for it. So if this texture is fixed, I could include it with the TPC itself.

Otherwise I'll feel forced to go with the SMIM texture instead, but I'm not a big fan of that particular texture.

Immensly glad to see you here!!

Yeah i see the faults, and i hope they'll be fixed soon, but i'm wondering if is it possible to use other textures from Tobes pack over the ones of the TPC mods, is it worth it? If not, then as you said we can only hope for a fix to use something from Tobes.

Also, i have another mod to suggest for inclusion: Skyrim Redesigned. this one is Very modular so since you are very good at spotting worth textures, you can include it in TPC selecting only the good stuff from it ;)

For example, i've picked up only those from Skyrim Redesigned (the only files overwriting TPC mods are chopping block and salmon):

Barenziah jewelry box

Bloody rags v1

Brown (less saturated) money bags

Buckets - meshes better with environment)

Chopping block v2

Hasgraven claws

Salmon v2

Skeleton key v1

Spider eggs

Tankards and wooden plates Final Version