Texture Pack Combiner

Kelmych

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cestral has updated Texture Pack Combiner to version 1.9. It includes some interesting changes, some of which he has already discussed on the STEP forums. In case you haven't read all of his recent comments here are a few of the changes; full details are on the TPC Nexus description page:

• replacement of Soul Gems Differ with HD Soul Gems (fewer gem color choices but better texture quality and no esp file)
  • replacement of Insanity's Spider Webs with Hectrol Spider Webs (no esp file needed)
  • addition of textures from Hectrol Caves Deluxe and The Beauty of Skyrim - Caves and Mines

My approach, which I will continue with TPC 1.9, is to use TPC to help select textures across multiple mods in a few specific texture subset areas (e.g., portions of the architecture tree). Then I follow the interesting discussions on STEP about some of the details, after which I can then change some of the texture selections when the community comes to some conclusions (or when there isn't consensus I can pick the reasonable conclusion from my viewpoint).

TPC will always look better than STEP from now on as they have excluded the TPC. I will always choose the TPC no matter what they do with STEP.

You're right to a degree. STEP actually includes most of the same mods TPC does. However, the main difference (for now) is that STEP's textures aren't hand picked from each mod, but you will have similar results whether you use STEP or TPC for the main textures.

And finally' date=' anyone running STEP can simply install the TPC last. If using a decent mod manager, one could easily switch between the two (with/without TPC).[/quote']

Handpicking textures and repackaging mods accordingly takes time though, and I can see why it may seem like a more convenient and efficient way of giving Skyrim the desired look than installing dozens of mods in a specific order and wondering which mod is causing the funny looking textures, then fiddling

It's a shame progress on Thunderbolt kind of stalled, and with Dark0ne complaining about the automatic downloader before the idea has even been polished and implemented, I can't see STEP replacing TPC for many inexeprienced or lazy modders as the process takes a lot of time and updating is a PITA if you don't manage your mods properly (which takes even more time).

For an experienced user, the mixed method works best, IMHO. You get the base by installing basic fixes + full TPC, and then add remaining STEP mods on top of that where needed, and whatever additional ones you desire to include in the lot. But that requires you to know what's going on in your load and installed mods order, which is impossible to tell without using a proper mod manager like WB or MO.

I do miss having TPC in STEP, though, as it was the easiest way of getting conflicting texture mods to work together in a seamless fashion.

OK, cestral:

Why did you drop whroughgroundwet_n.dds from water? This is one of the ugliest textures I've seen so far... I know SRO had included this texture and it was 4 times the size of WATER's, but isn't there any other texture pack out there which tackles this texture?

The currently prioritized one is from Langley's, and the WATER lightmap is made for the vanilla texture iirc (which also fits with SRO's). I can't use a lightmap made for an entirely different texture.

I agree though that it isn't great and Windhelm has always looked kind of crappy, but still Langley's is better than SRO's in my opinion (not to mention anything that isn't from SRO nowadays is a step in the right direction).

I'm open for suggestions though.

It's a shame progress on Thunderbolt kind of stalled, and with Dark0ne complaining about the automatic downloader before the idea has even been polished and implemented, I can't see STEP replacing TPC for many inexeprienced or lazy modders as the process takes a lot of time and updating is a PITA if you don't manage your mods properly (which takes even more time).

Reports of the Thunderbolt's death are greatly exaggerated. ;) 

When the next release is finalised, I'll put out a tool that will automate the editing of the mod archives, and also resolve conflicting files.  It'll be script based in its first appearance, but a proper gui-based app is also under construction.  It won't be Thunderbolt as originally conceived, but will provide the core functionality, which we can build upon later.

In fairness to Dark0ne, he didn't complain about the auto downloading - I went to him to ask for consent.  He was perfectly friendly and helpful about it, and there may be agreeable solutions in the future.

• 3 weeks later...