Following STEP - TES5EDIT cleaning > Overwrite

NewYears1978

Question

I am following the STEP guide.

For the step regarding cleaning the update.esm, I clean it and it works out fine...but the guide says files should now be in my overwrite folder.  For me this doesn't happen.  It cleans them and leaves them in my main Skyrim/Data folder.

Am I missing something?

Furthermore when I cleaned the Dawnguard.esm, it put the backup file in my overwrite folder..

Really confused what is going on here?

Actually, it says it will do this in the guide... and I should move it then create a mod with the fixed file.

But the update.esm did no such thing (nothing in overwrite), So a bit confused :)

Edited by NewYears1978

Well I'm also a bit confused, if the instructions are clear they are not making much sence to me. Not ont that particular step but in the last one:

2.B.5 -  

5. Restore the backup created in step 1 to the <skyrim>/data directory.

What was the point of going to all the trouble of generating a clean esm file and put it into a mod if we then replace the cleaned file with the original one?

Edited by lxsapper

Well I'm also a bit confused, if the instructions are clear they are not making much sence to me. Not ont that particular step but in the last one:

2.B.5 -  

5. Restore the backup created in step 1 to the /data directory.

What was the point of going to all the trouble of generating a clean esm file and put it into a mod if we then replace the cleaned file with the original one?

Did you miss step 4?

4. Place the cleaned Update.esm in a new mod inside Mod Organizer

• Go to /mods and create a new folder called Cleaned Update ESM.
  • Copy the cleaned Update.esm from /data to the Cleaned Update ESM directory.
  • Enable the Cleaned Update ESM mod in Mod Organizer's left pane by ticking the checkbox.

Step 5 makes perfect sense to me in light of step 4. Do I need to explain the why of the instructions as well as the instructions? Step 5 simply restores the uncleaned ESM to the original data directory so that if you verify cache in Steam, it won't need to download and change that file. Also, you always have the original ESM to go back to in case you need to update the cleaning of it. The cleaned file in Cleaned Update ESM mod provides the file to the game, so the original uncleaned ESM is not ever used as long as the Cleaned Update ESM is active.

I'm sorry but I'm really trying to get my head arround this. I know I created a mod named Cleaned Update ESM but this is only a folder in the mod organizer once activated the all the mod organizer does is to copy it's contents into the skyrim/data folder and activate the .esm right? the esm is still called  update.esm so where is the clean esm in used once overwriten again with the clean file? it would make sence if the cleaned esm had it's name changed but I don't think the instructions direct to do this, do they?

OK I've been trying to understand this, and I think I came to conclude that MO works very diferently from NMM in regards to installing mods. Is that correct? Does it copy the activated mods to the Skyrim/Data folder when lauching the game from within or does it make the game to use it's folders for resources? Do I understand it more or less correctly now?

What MO does is make a virtual Data directory with all your mods data in it.

In this way it keeps the Vanilla data directory. If you looked at your data directory in Skyrim when using MO, you wont see any mods there.

This is why you have to run SKSE through MO, so the game has access to the virtual directory with all the mods, including the CLEANED ESM's.

Ok that makes sence now. I've justo only started to use MO with STEP, and was up to step 2, so no many mods there yet to miss them on the skyriim/data folder. 

I gess I shouldn't have skiped the MO tutorial to start with eighter, as it mentions there the need to run Skyrim from the MO, that should have raised a Flag (I don't think I've read it on the STEP guide yet. 

I'm gessing it also keeps it's own version of skyrims .inis? as the modifications I did throgh MO were not showing up on the actual files on the Documents/My Games/Skyrim folder. Is that correct as well?

I finally understood what it was saying.  The problem (IMO) is the instructions are poorly written.

I finalyl figured out that when you Edit them it makes a backup of them.  STEP wants you to create a NEW mod with the cleaned file.  So you make a new directory in your Mods directory with the appropriate name (update.esm cleaned, for instance)  then you put the Cleaned file (in your data directory) into that folder.

Then you take either a copy of the original file that you made OR the TES5EDIT created backup and put it back in the Data directory.

In other words you keep the Data directory for steam/skyrim with the DEFAULT non edited files (in case you ever need to go back etc) and you make a NEW MOD in MO with the cleaned ones.

Still lost in many othe rplaces with this guide..sometimes it's cleal others it is jacked up.  Like telling yo uto create a LOOT rule for mods you have not installed yet (you can't)

Ok that makes sence now. I've justo only started to use MO with STEP, and was up to step 2, so no many mods there yet to miss them on the skyriim/data folder. 

I gess I shouldn't have skiped the MO tutorial to start with eighter, as it mentions there the need to run Skyrim from the MO, that should have raised a Flag (I don't think I've read it on the STEP guide yet. 

I'm gessing it also keeps it's own version of skyrims .inis? as the modifications I did throgh MO were not showing up on the actual files on the Documents/My Games/Skyrim folder. Is that correct as well?

Yes, in MO you use Profiles, which each profile has it's own Ini files.  If you look in the MO folder you'll see a profiles directory.  However within MO is a button (the wrenches) at th etop click that and choose "edit ini" and you can edit both ini files right in MO.  These are separate from your Documents files.

MO keeps all files from your actual Skyrim install, incleading steam and documents files, separate.

The great thing is say you just finished instally STEP:Core afte rdays of work (like me).  Now you can go into the profiles editor, make a copy of it named "STEP: Core - Backup" or something.  Then change things in the profile fo rtesting.

If you mess something up you have the backup. Very nice.

Step 5 makes perfect sense to me in light of step 4. Do I need to explain the why of the instructions as well as the instructions? Step 5 simply restores the uncleaned ESM to the original data directory so that if you verify cache in Steam, it won't need to download and change that file. Also, you always have the original ESM to go back to in case you need to update the cleaning of it. The cleaned file in Cleaned Update ESM mod provides the file to the game, so the original uncleaned ESM is not ever used as long as the Cleaned Update ESM is active.

The part that confused me is that when I cleaned Update.esm, no files were put in overwrite like it says they will.  I don't know why..but with that file, they never were.  Once I did the next files cleaning it DID put them in the overwrite..so then I figured out what I was supposed to do with each.

Maybe some error just on my end or something..but eventually sorted it out.  Not really STEP's fault here.

Edited by NewYears1978

I'm guessing the problem you have understanding my instructions is because I didn't tell you the why. Maybe I should note that the files in Overwrite are the TES5Edit Backups, although I would think that was clear from the title of the new mod being TES5Edit Backups.

Perhaps you had unchecked the Backup Plugins option in TES5Edit? Thing is, from my testing, no matter if you have that ticked or not, there will always at least be an empty TES5Edit Backups folder.

When I clean the master files for Dawnguard, Hearthfires and Dragonborn, do I follow the same process as listed by the guide for cleaning the Update master file?  Meaning, creating a new folder in the Mod Organizer mod directory and enabling it in the left pane.  I did so already, and the following files are marked as redundant by the silver lightning bolt.

Cleaned Dawnguard ESM

Cleaned HearthFires ESM

Cleaned Dragonborn ESM

Also, when it says to put them at the top, does it mean the very top, above the following files?

HighResTexturePack03

HighResTexturePack02

HighResTexturePack01

HearthFires

Dragonborn

Dawnguard

*All marked by "Non-MO" in the category column.

Pictorial example: 

post-4553-0-64817500-1405987937_thumb.png

Edited by ADD1CTED_GAM3R

Ouch. That is the wrong priorities. Believe it or not, the answer to your question is on the mod pages, the guide, in so many ways. For one, the Mod Organizer setup page told you to arrange the priorities of the non-MO mods. Then the guide says that the mods should be in the order of the guide. Then the DLC pages say where to place the cleaned ESMs. Then the High Resolution Texture Pack page says how to arrange its three non-MO mods again. Is there some place else we should put this info to make it clear what order to put these in?

Correct Order is:

• Cleaned Update ESM
  • Skyrim Script Extender
  • Stable uGridsToLoad
  • Distant Decal Fix
  • Unofficial Skyrim Patch
  • Dawnguard
  • Cleaned Dawnguard ESM
  • Unofficial Dawnguard Patch
  • Hearthfire
  • Cleaned Hearthfire ESM
  • Unofficial Hearthfire Patch
  • Dragonborn
  • Cleaned Dragonborn ESM
  • Unofficial Dragonborn Patch
  • HighResTexturePack01
  • HighResTexturePack02
  • HighResTexturePack03
  • Unofficial High Resolution Patch

If you think about it, the order makes sense.

Ouch. That is the wrong priorities. Believe it or not, the answer to your question is on the mod pages, the guide, in so many ways. For one, the Mod Organizer setup page told you to arrange the priorities of the non-MO mods. Then the guide says that the mods should be in the order of the guide. Then the DLC pages say where to place the cleaned ESMs. Then the High Resolution Texture Pack page says how to arrange its three non-MO mods again. Is there some place else we should put this info to make it clear what order to put these in?

Correct Order is:

[*]Cleaned Update ESM

[*]Skyrim Script Extender

[*]Stable uGridsToLoad

[*]Distant Decal Fix

[*]Unofficial Skyrim Patch

[*]Dawnguard

[*]Cleaned Dawnguard ESM

[*]Unofficial Dawnguard Patch

[*]Hearthfire

[*]Cleaned Hearthfire ESM

[*]Unofficial Hearthfire Patch

[*]Dragonborn

[*]Cleaned Dragonborn ESM

[*]Unofficial Dragonborn Patch

[*]HighResTexturePack01

[*]HighResTexturePack02

[*]HighResTexturePack03

[*]Unofficial High Resolution Patch

If you think about it, the order makes sense.

Thanks, Double!

I really don't have a good explanation on my part.  The only thing I can say is that I admit that I'm an idiot.  I didn't read the detailed instructions in the guide for Dawnguard, HearthFires, Dragonborn or the High Resolution Packs.  That's why I didn't know the order to put them in.  This is also part of the reason why I didn't know how to go about cleaning the master files for Dawnguard, HearthFires or Dragonborn.

Personally, I think adding a note to the bottom of the instructions in "2.B. Clean the Update ESM" mentioning that the master files for the DLC need to be cleaned the same way would be a good idea.  Mention that the detailed instructions for each of them needs to be read to ensure it's done right.  Maybe posting the above load order would help clear up any further confusion that people have.

For me the problem was mostly my own doing, caused by my lack of reading.  I thought the detailed instructions for the DLC were just going to tell me how to install them via Steam or something, which I already knew how to do.  Had I known that they detailed how to handle the cleaning of the files and where to place the mod created in the process, I would have read them.

Anyways; thank you!   ::):

Edited by ADD1CTED_GAM3R
  • +1 1