Following STEP - TES5EDIT cleaning > Overwrite

NewYears1978

Question

I am following the STEP guide.

For the step regarding cleaning the update.esm, I clean it and it works out fine...but the guide says files should now be in my overwrite folder.  For me this doesn't happen.  It cleans them and leaves them in my main Skyrim/Data folder.

Am I missing something?

Maybe a small clickable photo on the guide to suggest mod order? Seeing it in the flesh might make more sense than just a verbal explanation. I worked it out fairly quickly personally, but then again I've been modding for a while. An actual picture might make it easier for those who are new to it? Similar to those pictorial guides to setting up in the DDSopt how to maybe?

No issue or offence meant of course. Just a suggestion.

Hey, I'm looking for any suggestions to make the guide easier! Indeed, I've been advocating we split off the Unofficial Patches + DLC into its own section if possible. That would make the photo idea much more feasible. As it is, I can't see a good place to put the picture.

Perhaps we should integrate pictures of how MO should look in each section???

If I put the Unofficial Skyrim Patch above Dawnguard like you said to DoubleYou, I get an error in the top right that tells me to move it below Dawnguard...

That's because you haven't sorted the plugins yet with LOOT or such. The warning is based off your mod priority order somewhat matching your plugin priority order (load order).

That's because you haven't sorted the plugins yet with LOOT or such. The warning is based off your mod priority order somewhat matching your plugin priority order (load order).

Oh, so once it's sorted with LOOT, that will fix itself? Okay, great! Thanks!Also, I think your idea of potentially having screenshots of the correct load order in Mod Organizer at the end of each section would be a great addition to the guide. It would definitely help people understand everything better.

Well all you would need is a link to say: If you want to double check your load order click HERE for a photo of the STEP suggested order. 

That way even real modding neophytes should be good. 

The link could be placed right before the button that says Benchmark at the end of each category.

I'm guessing the problem you have understanding my instructions is because I didn't tell you the why. Maybe I should note that the files in Overwrite are the TES5Edit Backups, although I would think that was clear from the title of the new mod being TES5Edit Backups.

Perhaps you had unchecked the Backup Plugins option in TES5Edit? Thing is, from my testing, no matter if you have that ticked or not, there will always at least be an empty TES5Edit Backups folder.

I should clarifiy, I wasn't intending to berate you or anyone who wrote the instructions.  I have tried to make my own PERSONAL mod list Excel file once and it was so much work I quit.

I have much respect for the makers of this guide..I just got confused here because something didn't behave how it said it would.  Once I understood it though, it made perfect sense. :)

I finished STEP but later had to remove the Skyrim Overhaul mod though because it was crashing my game (without any mods not in STEP)..I need to make a topic on that.

I should clarifiy, I wasn't intending to berate you or anyone who wrote the instructions.  I have tried to make my own PERSONAL mod list Excel file once and it was so much work I quit.

I have much respect for the makers of this guide..I just got confused here because something didn't behave how it said it would.  Once I understood it though, it made perfect sense. :)

I finished STEP but later had to remove the Skyrim Overhaul mod though because it was crashing my game (without any mods not in STEP)..I need to make a topic on that.

I'm trying to do the same thing right now; create a list of mods I want to use, grouping them into the following categories.

Essential - Mods that I won't play the game without.  For example; Frostfall.

Almost Necessary - Mods that I really want, but could possibly live without.  For example; Follower Commentary Overhaul.

Wanted - Mods that I want, but could easily live without.  For example; aMidianBorn Book of Silence.

Extras - Mods that I won't really notice playing with or without.  For example; A Matter of Time - A HUD Clock Widget.

It's easily one of the most frustrating things I've ever done.  

I'm trying to do the same thing right now; create a list of mods I want to use, grouping them into the following categories.

Essential - Mods that I won't play the game without.  For example; Frostfall.

Almost Necessary - Mods that I really want, but could possibly live without.  For example; Follower Commentary Overhaul.

Wanted - Mods that I want, but could easily live without.  For example; aMidianBorn Book of Silence.

Extras - Mods that I won't really notice playing with or without.  For example; A Matter of Time - A HUD Clock Widget.

It's easily one of the most frustrating things I've ever done.  

Definitely frustrating.  I have 300 hours in Skyrim and I have probably only 40 hours of ACTUAL gameplay.  No joke.  I've gone on these modding rampages before usually ending up in endless loading screens, crashes, etc..then I quit.

But I can't play this game vanilla, it's just too beautiful and amazing with all the mods.  All the new memory patch stuff has seemed to solve the CTD's...WHEN using mods that don't conflict and break each other.  STEP guide helps for that, but even then there are problems.  SDO I crash when I use it so I had to remove that..no clue why..it gave me infinite loading screens.

But yeah, I am with you..it's frustrating.  I have all of STEP installed, the patches, and then a myriad of my own mods now..by using GEMS and my friends installed mod list.  I am near the bottom of his list which is my last step before I actually begin to play...lol.  Not noticing and crashes or issues so far so that's good but you never know once you get in a real gameplay adventure =D

I then got sidetracked by ENB which I normally don't use..but I want everything perfect (which in Skyrim is very hard lol).  My nights and indoors were perfect..but day times were a bit..funky...always were to me in Skyrim..using ENB with bloom tends to make the days look proper...like properly lit like I like..so then messing with enb settings to get that bloom only during days, not indoors or night, and getting all the settings right without huge FPS drops..been a chore aha.

Okay I ranted on too long =D

Definitely frustrating.  I have 300 hours in Skyrim and I have probably only 40 hours of ACTUAL gameplay.  No joke.  I've gone on these modding rampages before usually ending up in endless loading screens, crashes, etc..then I quit. But I can't play this game vanilla, it's just too beautiful and amazing with all the mods.  All the new memory patch stuff has seemed to solve the CTD's...WHEN using mods that don't conflict and break each other.  STEP guide helps for that, but even then there are problems.  SDO I crash when I use it so I had to remove that..no clue why..it gave me infinite loading screens.But yeah, I am with you..it's frustrating.  I have all of STEP installed, the patches, and then a myriad of my own mods now..by using GEMS and my friends installed mod list.  I am near the bottom of his list which is my last step before I actually begin to play...lol.  Not noticing and crashes or issues so far so that's good but you never know once you get in a real gameplay adventure =D I then got sidetracked by ENB which I normally don't use..but I want everything perfect (which in Skyrim is very hard lol).  My nights and indoors were perfect..but day times were a bit..funky...always were to me in Skyrim..using ENB with bloom tends to make the days look proper...like properly lit like I like..so then messing with enb settings to get that bloom only during days, not indoors or night, and getting all the settings right without huge FPS drops..been a chore aha. Okay I ranted on too long =D

That's what always ended up happening to me too. I would get frustrated with adding mods a few at a time and then testing for conflicts so I would just add them all in bulk; over 100 at a time. Then I'd get pissed when I'd have crashes, infinite loading screens, etc. I tried to tell myself to be patient and do it the right way, but the desire to actually PLAY the game, with mods, would always get the best of me. Following STEP is hopefully going to be the answer I've been looking for, resulting in a stable, modded game.I agree with you on the subject of ENB; Skyrim just doesn't look right without it. The vanilla game doesn't have very good lighting at all.

That's what always ended up happening to me too. I would get frustrated with adding mods a few at a time and then testing for conflicts so I would just add them all in bulk; over 100 at a time. Then I'd get pissed when I'd have crashes, infinite loading screens, etc. I tried to tell myself to be patient and do it the right way, but the desire to actually PLAY the game, with mods, would always get the best of me. Following STEP is hopefully going to be the answer I've been looking for, resulting in a stable, modded game.I agree with you on the subject of ENB; Skyrim just doesn't look right without it. The vanilla game doesn't have very good lighting at all.

Yeah, even with CoT and ELE and ELFX which is what I use now, days are just not right.  Indoors and Dungeons EXEPTIONAL but outdoors just has this overcontrast yet drab look.  ENB's bloom (which normally I hate bloom) really tends to just soften it all and make it look proper!

I am using Skyrealism ENB which I just found, and my old 1.2 FXAA injector (I prefer it due to how it sharpens) and it is bliss for me :)

Yeah, even with CoT and ELE and ELFX which is what I use now, days are just not right.  Indoors and Dungeons EXEPTIONAL but outdoors just has this overcontrast yet drab look.  ENB's bloom (which normally I hate bloom) really tends to just soften it all and make it look proper! I am using Skyrealism ENB which I just found, and my old 1.2 FXAA injector (I prefer it due to how it sharpens) and it is bliss for me :)

I used to use CoT and RLO, but I'm planning to use ELFX this time around. I gave thought to using RCRN instead, but it's hard to find an ENB that works with it, whereas almost all of them work with, and nicely compliment CoT. As for my preferred ENB; I've used quite a few of them. The one I plan to use this time around is the Seasons of Skyrim ENB.

I like ELFX combined with CoT and then ELE ..together the three I ge the closest to nights, indoors, days that I like.. (days still not quite right, but ENB solves that)

Now I am just at a poitn where I need to remove some mods because even at 60 fps it feels bogged down...frustrating..I should just play without so many mods...with ENB it still looks incredible..lol...

This is the Skyrim curse :(  I may never actually play

I like ELFX combined with CoT and then ELE ..together the three I ge the closest to nights, indoors, days that I like.. (days still not quite right, but ENB solves that)Now I am just at a poitn where I need to remove some mods because even at 60 fps it feels bogged down...frustrating..I should just play without so many mods...with ENB it still looks incredible..lol...This is the Skyrim curse :( I may never actually play

After playing other modern games with amazing graphics that run super smooth... I admit Skyrims crap engine does really start to bug with the randomness of frames, etc. tho ENB does make it look nice
  • +1 1