Following STEP - TES5EDIT cleaning > Overwrite

NewYears1978

Question

I am following the STEP guide.

For the step regarding cleaning the update.esm, I clean it and it works out fine...but the guide says files should now be in my overwrite folder.  For me this doesn't happen.  It cleans them and leaves them in my main Skyrim/Data folder.

Am I missing something?

After playing other modern games with amazing graphics that run super smooth... I admit Skyrims crap engine does really start to bug with the randomness of frames, etc. tho ENB does make it look nice

Yeah..spent days modding and am near the end..and performance is now lacking and I don't even want to play.  This is what happens every time.

That's definitely the biggest problem with modding this game. There are so many cool and interesting mods out there that let you tailor the game to your liking, but quite a few problems along the way. You can run into compatibility issues, bog your system down, etc. It's so hard to resist using a ton of mods, and playing without them isn't an option after seeing what modded game looks like, and how it plays compared to vanilla.

That's definitely the biggest problem with modding this game. There are so many cool and interesting mods out there that let you tailor the game to your liking, but quite a few problems along the way. You can run into compatibility issues, bog your system down, etc. It's so hard to resist using a ton of mods, and playing without them isn't an option after seeing what modded game looks like, and how it plays compared to vanilla.

It's funny because I ran ONLY STEP last night with ENB and it looked REALLY good...all those extra texture stuff I put in you can't even really tell..but I can't make myself not use them lol

It's funny because I ran ONLY STEP last night with ENB and it looked REALLY good...all those extra texture stuff I put in you can't even really tell..but I can't make myself not use them lol

A lot of times you won't notice the higher resolution textures unless you're actually looking for them.  But I'm the same way; I can't NOT use them.  Although I settle for the Lite version of Skyrim HD.

A lot of times you won't notice the higher resolution textures unless you're actually looking for them.  But I'm the same way; I can't NOT use them.  Although I settle for the Lite version of Skyrim HD.

I actually downloaded mostly 1k textures this time, no 2k or 4k..I can't even tell.  With ENB and FXAA it still looks amazing unless I go staring at walls.

I ran ordenador on all my texures last night, shaved 6gb off.  No FPS gain but performance is smoother.

Then I started going over MO finding redundant mods..had some that were identical files so I chose the one I like more..some got deleted from STEP some I deleted mods I had added.

Made a character finally with Racememu.  Last thing to do is finish removing redundant mods/maybe pick and choose some textures that are in multiple mods.  Then start new game =D  Then I haev to spend 5 hours configuring 15 MCM menus lol

ok, Hey so back to DblU's post on how this guide might possibly be better, I think one of the things I found frustrating so far is the jump to different guides at various points in the process.  There doesn't seem to be one consistent message on how to achieve STEP:Core 2.2.9.  After following the instalation guide, and the ddsopt guide (quick start), and the step guide, and the MO guide, (having not yet seen any DLC guide), I have a different load order than the one listed by DoubleYou after only the first few steps.  I think "consolidate" is the order of the masses when it comes to clarifing the guide!

GT

How do you have different order? You mean you have this I'm guessing:

• STD
  • Dawnguard
  • Dawnguard Optimized
  • HearthFires
  • Hearthfire Optimized
  • Dragonborn
  • Dragonborn Optimized
  • HighResTexturePack01
  • HighResTexturePack02
  • HighResTexturePack03
  • HRDLC1 Optimized
  • HRDLC2 Optimized
  • HRDLC3 Optimized

If so, that is intended.

Well, now it looks pretty close to that.  I was confused for a while afer following the DDSopt quick start guide.  I had all the _opt textures at the end.  I did finally find a post that mentioned unchecking the original .esps in the right pane.  Now, after reading this post, I thin I'm pretty close to your list... with stableugrids added now.  I did add SKSE to my data dir manually thinking I would not run Skyrim without it.  It's a part of my base install in that regard.

current load:

STD

Ugrids

UnoffSPtch

Dawnguard

Dawnguard_opt

Unoff. Dwn Patch

HearthFires

Hearthfires_opt

UnOff. Hearth Patch

DrgBorn

Drgborn_opt

UnOff. Drgbrn patch

HRDLC1

HRDLC2

HRDLC3

(unchecked)

Highrestexpack 01,02,03 - unchecked in right pane as well

GT

Edited by GreyTook

If this helps - here the guide order I think I followed:

MO Guide - setup Loot, and SKSE Launcher

Step core Main - redirect >  Installation Guide > DDSopt Quick Start - stop after Van. Textures (copy, not archive)

somwhere in here I installed Wryebash and TES5Edit

INIguide

GPU guide and Monitor calibration

Enboost and stableUgrds

That's pretty much where I am atm.

GT

Ouch. That is the wrong priorities. Believe it or not, the answer to your question is on the mod pages, the guide, in so many ways. For one, the Mod Organizer setup page told you to arrange the priorities of the non-MO mods. Then the guide says that the mods should be in the order of the guide. Then the DLC pages say where to place the cleaned ESMs. Then the High Resolution Texture Pack page says how to arrange its three non-MO mods again. Is there some place else we should put this info to make it clear what order to put these in?

I startet with a "clean" Skyrim installation which already had the dlc's installed. So maybe a short remark that you work with DLC's later in the guide [but can be already installed]. Or just a mark that cleaning of other esm's is mentioned later in the guide.

This would resolve my first confusion with 2.B section.

The second uncertainty for me (and the thread starter), was that you are told to do 2 backups of update.esm and you don't know why. First you do it on your own outside of MO(1.) and then you should save the backup from TES5Edit inside a MO-mod(backup created "inside" of MO). On top of that you may only get an empty TES5Edit Backup folder inside of the overwrite mod.

As i have understood the TES5Edit backup is just the original file, so the one you already have from step 1.

At the end i have the original file inside of Skyrim(so still vanilla) and i have a backup in the tes5edit backup mod i created.

If you want to make sure everyone has the TES5Edit backup add: At the prompt, make sure Update.esm AND backup plugins is checked and click OK.

If TES5Edit backup is redundant(you will have the vanilla esm in Skyrim/data after step 5.), just get rid of section 3.( maybe remark, that you can uncheck backup plugins in the step before 3.), and say that you can delete the empty TES5Edit folder in overwrite(to prevent MO warning).

Some other additional inputs from me:

Imo this is clearer/safer: The Cleaned Update ESM mod should be set to priority 0 in placed at the top of Mod Organizer's left pane.

STEP does not recommend downloading the Skyrim Nexus version of ENBoost due to incorrect settings for STEP.

Then why not link to Boris' side? How it is at the moment it may get endorsed on nexus but installed wrong. Better put the nexus link (hidden) in the install instruction instead of how it is now(boris side hidden in instructions).

ok, Hey so back to DblU's post on how this guide might possibly be better, I think one of the things I found frustrating so far is the jump to different guides at various points in the process.

STEP guide is a big help for me, but i'm not yet satisfied. I think everyone should be able to follow this one guide(with [as little as possible] links to more detailed guides) and get a well modded Skyrim as fast as possible. After 2-3 attempts of modding Skyrim i will now get a STEP running(with my tweaks to it). While i do this, i try to constantly give feedback to things i may stumble across.

2.Edit: As in Skyrim FPS and physics are linked, you will get wired physics behavior if your FPS gets too high. Solution: V-Sync on or FPS limit.

Edit: Found a thread which seems to have the same issue: https://forum.step-project.com/topic/5524-fallingflipping-cart-and-lockups-during-opening-ride-to-helgen-help/

May i open another thread for getting a wired result(bug?!) from enboost?

If i look around(with mouse), especially down, the carts start to hop around and the horse freaks out.

Started from a clean vanilla with the dlcs and followed the step guide(but only the necessary changes for the ini).

If i start after installing the enboost i get this behavior.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by Simondererste

Hey, I'm looking for any suggestions to make the guide easier! Indeed, I've been advocating we split off the Unofficial Patches + DLC into its own section if possible. That would make the photo idea much more feasible. As it is, I can't see a good place to put the picture.

Perhaps we should integrate pictures of how MO should look in each section???

Hi Double You : I really think you should indeed integrate such pictures in each section. I lost myself about this very order  (I had the Dawnguard, cleaned DG, UDGP and other DLCs right at least...). Once you see it, it is logical but when you're just lost, believe me, you're just lost (for instance, for a while I could just guess that, after your list, the various "DDSOPT optimized" textures mods follow : STD, hearthfire, DG, DB, HRDLC1, 2, 3 ; True, they are in the same order as the guide but following its first steps, I had in fact optimized them with DDSOPT much sooner ! And thus got lost till the detailed instructions from 2D-9).

Anyway, you STEP team did such a nice job for people like me ! Thanks.

Edited by PingouinMalin

Hi,

just finished the STEP install. But the cleaned esm's for update and the DLC's are both in Skyrim\Data AND in the Overwrite directory. Both are the cleaned versions (size matches and the ones in the Backup folder are larger). 

So, what should I do? Move the files in the overwrite folder into a new mod? Or what? :D

Edited by ACiDC0re

hmm... I think something has changed with the way MO/xEdit is handling these files. I just verified my files with Steam, to restore them to 'dirty' and then using MO 1.3.5 and xEdit 3.1.0 I cleaned the 'Update.esm' and my cleaned file and a TES5Edit Backups folder with datestamped original Update.esm are both in my 'Overwrite' folder and nothing in my Data folder.

Retried it with Dawnguard and exactly the same result. This is going to be tricky to figure out if different versions are placing the files in different locations.