Falling/flipping cart and lockups during opening ride to helgen. HELP!

FalloutPrime

Question

Anybody have any idea what mods, or actions(like a TES5Edit Cleaning..) could cause this so I can begin to troubleshoot it?Basically, when I start a new game, the wagon I'm on is either falling through the sky infinitely, and then gets reset in the sky to fall again, OR the cart is fine and everything is working but the game locks up.Ask me questions about my setup.

I don't want to post my long as load order / mod list unless you want to see it. I'll say I'm using all the mods on the STEP 2.2.9 guide, plus some mods of my own choosing(not many). I am not using any STEP patches because I don't know how to edit the load order thing in the STEP patches with TES5Edit to make them work with the extra mods I'm using.I just spent two days re-installing everything from the ground up, following all instructions in the STEP guide to the letter. Save using the STEP patches for the above reason, and bloody hells, after all that work, I want this damnable thing to work! Please help if you can!

• Answers 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I feel your pain.  I too have that issue and cannot for the life of me figure out why.  It even does it with NO mods installed.  Seriously.  The cart flips around, I am on my head then my side over to the back then my head again... the horse faces me and the clanking and clunking is enough to drive one absolutely batty.  I've never found a fix for it other than retrying and retrying again until the ride is stable enough to get me to the parking area and out of the carriage.  I made a save there and that seemed to work.  Then I started having problems with being able to get over the body that gets beheaded in front of me.  Talk about pulling your hair out!  I finally got to escape and as I exited the cave I quit moving and saved there.  That save gets used all the time for new characters.  I generally go to Riverwood and then rent the room at the inn and open my showracemenu.  Do install the race menu and race menu precache killer or whatever it's called, it will make your character creation so much easier.  No more crashes or freezes since installing that.

I've given up on fixing the flipping, flopping, freaking out wagon scene.  Glad you got a save past that so you can use and reuse that toon for new playthroughs.

Ciao! :D

Try Alternate Start Live Another Life. You will start in an interior cell for character creation & it gives your scripts and MCM a chance to stabilize. Save after creating your character, then select "I was caught trying to cross the border illegally" that will start the Helgen intro. With any luck less script initializing chaos will make for a smooth cart ride. If not you can return to that post creation save and choose any other start option ("camping in the woods" places you at the Helgen exit where you can meet up with either Hadvar or Ralof and proceed to Riverwood).

Edited by redirishlord

Thank you redirishlord!  I'll do that.  The save I have now is Ralof only and that isn't always the way I want to go but I'm afraid to try starting another toon... that is truly the ride from heck ;)

Thank you for the suggestion!

Ciao!  :wub:

One thing I realized is different from my old setup, (the one i had before i updated to the latest STEP). For me, out of almost 1000 hours in skyrim, the flipping cart is a new thing. So I have been wondering what is different between the old STEP setup I had been using, and the one I am using now. Because I also tried deactivating all my mods, and still had the problem. I was wondering if having cleaned the update.esm and/or the other bethesda esms might be causing this. But that's probably because I don't really understand what cleaning them does. I just know that some mods need their dirtyness to work properly. I was thinking maybe this is the case with the bethesda official DLCs that step has you clean with tes5edit? 

Rofl Rofl. 80-100fps at the starting scene was ok, but as soon as i look around(especial behind/down me on the cart) i get 120-190 fps while it glitches around at the same time. Very funny ;PI tried setting EnableVSync=true => didn't helped, just get worse.Setting iPresentInterval = 1 => didn't worked too.Must be something with my settings(should be the same for the thread starter).If i delete the enboost files(3+what it adds after started ocne),I'm fine, even with iPresentInterval = 0.Don't know if my nvidia inspector is messing something up, but it's not too critical.If i get enough mods fps will drop :devil: or as long as i hold the camera still i can get to helgen without probs.

Edited by Simondererste

Well it can only be one of three settings you need to enable/disable.. Normally when you have your driver set to application controlled then it will be the setting in enblocal.ini that decides if you have vsync on or not. 

Followed by whatever you have in your .ini since ENB should overwrite that. 

Actually, I ran into this same issue (repeatedly) a few times in recent weeks. A bit of research, and I found the culprit in my particular case. I'm not a betting man, but I will guess that you have Immersive Armors in your lineup, the 1.7 version to be specific.

As it turns out, because it supports a few of the physics models available through the UNP body, there are some odd physics settings associated with this mod. The collisions get all messed up, so HAVOK goes completely berserk, hence your wild cart ride as the game tries to resolve all the things hitting each other... specifically you, Ulfric, Lokir, and Ralof in the cart. Now, you may not have that specific mod, but this is the kind of thing you need to look for - any mod that alters the physics of the actors. I've seen references that Realistic Ragdolls SHOULD fix this, but it did not in my case, and I ended up removing Immersive Armors and haven't had a problem since.

It may not be your specific problem, but it's a place to start looking.

Actually, I ran into this same issue (repeatedly) a few times in recent weeks. A bit of research, and I found the culprit in my particular case. I'm not a betting man, but I will guess that you have Immersive Armors in your lineup, the 1.7 version to be specific.

(...)

It may not be your specific problem, but it's a place to start looking.

So as i don't really have any mods installed, this can't be my problem. I'm 100% sure it comes from my high fps(so check your fps if you are having those glitches!), because enabling vsync resolves the problem.

Now what happened to me. I didn't want to have vsync enabled, so i had to stumble across those physic glitches(physics is related to fps in Skyrim!). After discovering it has to do with my FPS, i tried to enabling vsync:

(No settings with nvidia inspector)

ENBoost NOT installed and iPresentInterval = 0 in skyrimprefs.ini => max 60FPS => vsync is enabled!(ignores the setting)

ENBoost NOT installed and iPresentInterval = 1 in skyrimprefs.ini => max 60FPS => vsync is enabled!

=> vsync is always enabled even if i set it to false in the skyrimprefs.ini(Anyone else can confirm that?)

ENBosst installed(+No settings with nvidia inspector):

1)iPresentInterval = 0  EnableVSync=false => FPS > 80

=> vsync disabled. Looks ok.

2)iPresentInterval = 1  EnableVSync=false => FPS > 80

=> vsync disabled. ENBoost forces the settings from the ENB over the settings from Skyrim. Sounds logical.

3)iPresentInterval = 0  EnableVSync=true => FPS > 80

=> vsync disabled. ??? Enblocal.ini settings aren't adopted? I put them in <Skyrim>/ directory, but is this really the right place?

4)iPresentInterval = 1  EnableVSync=true => FPS > 80

=> vsync disabled. Enblocal.ini settings aren't adopted and settings from the ENB are taken over the settings from Skyrim. Logic after 3)

5)Shift+enter and set fps limiter in ENB settings window ingame. => Max FPS = FPS specified with FPS limit.

=> ENB ingame settings are working.

6)Set vsync in nvidia settings => max FPS=60

Nvidias vsync works

=> vsync is only disabled if i use ENBoost, but the setting in enblocal.ini aren't used.

PS enblocal.ini was saved before starting Skyrim through MO. Skyrimprefs.ini where saved inside of MO without restarting MO before starting Skyrim through MO. I used the skse_loader.exe with MO to start Skyrim.

So now i know how i can fix the physic glitches but i still don't know why EnableVSync=true in enblocal.ini isn't working.<- my problem i need to fix; Who can help me with that?

Edited by Simondererste

Now thats something to check out. I am using immersive armors... hmmm... that'd be too bad cause i love that mod...

Just find a nice quite interior cell after the Helgen intro and save. Exit. Install Immersive armors and patches. Load save. Wait until the Immersive Armor configurator finishes its installation before you exit the cell. You can play with Immersive Armors from now on...

Hmm, are we sure this is a HAVOK problem? I also had this issue with a S.T.E.P. Pack --- which I again "resolved" by using Alternate Start --- but from what I could tell, the cart spawned up in the air --- I thought it might have spawned on top of a mountain peak or something --- but one of the views as we rolled around was definitely the ground far below us. Now Skyrim's Physics Engine can definitely cause weird problems like this, but shouldn't S.T.E.P.'s physics mods mostly prevent it?

Anyway, remember Mod Organizer gives you a way to "Clone" your Profile, thus a very easy way to temporarily disable mods for testing (one of the reasons S.T.E.P. recommends MO, for sure).

Edited by generalmx