HRDLC2 folder is a different size

WMB

Question

My HRDLC2 folder is 4.2 GB, but in the screenshot it is only 2.9 GB. All the other folders are on the mark except for the STD folder, which for me is 2.0 GB but in the screenshot is 2.1 GB. Same number of files. I made sure to set the resolution limit settings to 1024x1024 when processing Vanilla Normal Maps. Did I do something wrong? Should I retry DDSopt?

12 answers to this question

I did a test run of the HRDLC2 optimization with the current pre-optimization batch file and then DDSoptimization as per the Quickstart guide. The DDSopt guide needs a small change. The "Vanilla Ordinary Textures" optimization needs to use the "Alternate Constraints tab" settings; these use DirectX compression as the output format. The other two folders should use the standard constraints. The Quickstart portion of the guide has been changed to show this and the version in "DDSopt Optimization" was changed. Anyone who previously optimized the vanilla textures before the beginning of July is fine since these were the settings recommended for "Vanilla Ordinary Textures" then; this guide change is due to a small recent change in the recommended default constraints tab settings.

The folder "dlc2solstheimworld" should have two small folders (Objects with 2 files and Trees with 1 file), 3000+ files that are 171 KB and the same number that are are 43 KB.

Your terrain directory is 2X the size of mine (mine is 1.1 GB). The other directories are the same as mine. There are 9 directories under terrain. The largest directories are dlc2solstheimworld (644.5 MB), dlc2apocryphworld (206.7 MB), and dlc01soulcairn (190.8 MB). You could redo just the HRDLC2 sorting and optimization if you want.

I went through the quick-start guide again and experienced exactly the same issue. As far as I know, I followed it to the dot.

Here is the expanded terrain folder. Would appreciate your help again.

Posted Image

Have you tried using the full guide and not just the quick start instructions? I'll look at it in the morning if Kelmych doesn't reply. I'm currently ripping out the innards of one of my hard drives to see if I can salvage anything. Also have you tried extracting that particular HRDLC .bsa again after deleting the extracted folder for said BSA to see if it was an input file issue?

Hello ! Sorry for the necro-post but... is this story about "alternate constraints" for the ordinary vanilla textures still topical ?

Because the default constraints are still suggested in the DDSopt Skyrim Quick-Start Guide.

Edited by Edghar

The constraints screenshots in the QuickStart guide were changed last year. What used to be called the default constraints several years ago are now called the DXTx constraints. What used to be alternate constraints are now the default constraints since they are now used for most optimizations. The change was made after some testing showed these settings seemed to work better.

Thank you for your answer Kelmych. By the way, I've seen the DXTx constraints on the DDSOpt Usage Examples page where the Vanilla textures optimization is explained as well, but it seems that there's no recommended constraints  for the Vanilla Normal Maps & Vanilla Compressed textures folders generated by running the .bat. So I used the Ordinary Textures constraints for the Normal Maps (not the exterior ones) and Exterior Textures constraints for the Compressed Textures. Is it the right way to proceed?

Edited by Edghar