26 replies to this topic

#16 frihyland

frihyland

Dwemer Lord

• Site Founders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:25 PM

It just seems very weird that you are the only one seeing this issue, perhaps you've made some customization to your driver config? Have you tried starting a new game?

#17 Neovalen

Neovalen

Talos

• Mod Authors
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,679 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:50 PM

Perhaps this is what he is referring to as Texture Popping? I consider this one of my pet peeves with Skyrim as it occurs so close to the player.
Just toggle between the two pictures and that is literally how it looks in game...

Posted Image Posted Image

This is base SRO only, not a full STEP install with default Ultra INI files. Note that it is only the wall in the center of the frame that has the issue, the other foliage on the walls don't have it...
This happens on a variety of textures, but figured I'd point this one out as blatantly obvious.

#18 MadWizard25

MadWizard25

Thane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 02:24 AM

Are you looking at a particular area to test? If so what is it? I'll check it out at home and see if I get the same thing.

Happens in all exteriors. My go to place to see if i have reduced/ fixed the issue is the plains around whiterun, but its essentially everywhere.

It just seems very weird that you are the only one seeing this issue, perhaps you've made some customization to your driver config? Have you tried starting a new game?

Hehe, I dont have a main save at all, havnt actually played since patch 1.3. Just constantly testing with throwaway characters. So yep, new game and all! Good point about driver customization. I have changed some settings using Nvidia Inspector. I will try with default there.

Perhaps this is what he is referring to as Texture Popping?

Partially. This is one of the "types" of texture popping i get. I refer to it as decal popping, although thats probably wrong terminology. Most obvious is moss on walls of ruins, just as you have Neovalen. I have to get really really close before it all magically pops in.

I think I will make a quick fraps movie and post on youtube when im off work. So you guys can get a clear picture :)

#19 blacksol

blacksol

Guard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:35 AM

I have the same issue, most noticeable around the plains of whiterun but also around riften when going through the trees. Although I have not optimised my textures so that could be due to mipmaps etc. I experience all 4 types of popping MW listed in exteriors. Ugrids 7 helped but I went back to ugrids 5 a while back. Although I haven't actually played for the past month!

#20 LeetMiniWheat

LeetMiniWheat

Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:52 PM

I'm not sure this can even be fixed for awhile with the current resources modders have. Maybe down the road... It bothers me too, though depth of field helps a lot. (unfortunately DoF gives me eyestrain)

#21 frihyland

frihyland

Dwemer Lord

• Site Founders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:57 AM

Digging way back to Oblivion days I find this, so download Oscape and get to work.

#22 JudgmentJay

JudgmentJay

Thane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:47 AM

If I understood any of that I'd be all over it.

#23 MadWizard25

MadWizard25

Thane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 03:53 PM

Ohh nice! Thanks frih :) Will try it out this week sometime, see if it helps

#24 Deathwing514

Deathwing514

Guard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:16 PM

I am also having this problem, but the my issue is mainly the moss on the ruin walls and such. It really is immersion breaking and makes me stop playing to find a solution to this problem If anyone out there has found a solution to this, I will be incredibly indebted to you .

#25 JudgmentJay

JudgmentJay

Thane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:39 AM

Unfortunately I don't think there is a solution at the moment. Someone please prove me wrong.

#26 mykillk

mykillk

Prisoner

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:41 AM

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to concur with the consensus here, regarding the 'moss-on-the-wall' popup. I've tried and tried to fix it, but to no avail. I've had the same problem with Vanilla Skyrim and modded-out Skyrim. I've seen the same problem on the XBox version as well. If I had to make a guess, I would say it's another one of those "hardcoded" performance optimization tailored for console versions. And in typical Bugthesda fashion, they forgot to anchor these special class of textures to any .ini settings. I don't think this is fixable without actually going in and modifying the textures. As mentioned by someone else, it's probably a mipmap issue. The likely reason why it's so much more noticeable on modded Skyrims is that color contrast tends to be much higher and so the moss doesn't blend in as well. I find it hard to believe no one has taken the time to fix this one troublesome texture! Hell, I'd rather have no moss than the moss popup. Maybe someone could replace the moss texture with an invisible one?

#27 Necrokat

Necrokat

Prisoner

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 05:18 PM

this thread is a bit old and you may already know about these, but here's some fixes for the decal popin
https://skyrim.nexus....com/mods/32426
https://sky rim.nexus....com/mods/31982
https://skyrim.nexus....com/mods/29363
but i found this thread because i'm desperately lookin for some way to help w/ that mid distance (300 yards-ish) pop-in. it's driving me nuts. i'd been playing w/ ugrids of 7 or 9, but it's impossible to use those if you have mods that spawn stuff like Monster Mod, Immersive Partols, or Skytest. engine just can't handle the added spawns. it would be ideal, if like JudjmentJay said on the 1st page...if we could somehow JUST get distant OBJECTS to load. my main gripes are the large things like big groves of trees, all the detail on a fort or tower pops up in my field of view, ect. like running from Whiterun Stables toward the Lunar Forge. most of that whole huge mountain (detail, shadows) pops in right at about 200yards. i'm on Ultra w/ a great rig.

anyone come up w/ any tweaks or mods? thanks

It'd be nice if there were a way to have higher uGrids for textures/lod only. I guess that's not possible?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users