Should I trust WB's choice of mods to merge leveled lists from?

Clouddistrictcitizen

Question

Hi, I've been using bashed patch (succesfully I think) but now not sure whether I should add more mods apart from those added automatically by it.

I've read that I should include EVERY mod which has LVLI or LVLN, is it true?

I'm mostly wondering about Organized bandits and immersive patrols;

OBIS - added automatically to the bashed patch, but people say it's buggy and should not be included

Immersive Patrols - not added, has several entries of leveled characters/items. Plus for now I haven't added this mod to the bashed patch which results in merchants from this mod selling way too many items and some NPCs being naked.

4 answers to this question

For OBIS - I've had this installed for a few weeks and, like you, had it included automatically in my Bashed Patch. I've seen no issues that would seem to be related to it so far. Hardly a definitive answer, I know, but the only one I know to give.

For Immersive Patrols - I wasn't aware of any merchants being added by this mod. As for the Naked NPCs, this may be being caused be a different mod completely. If you have the aMidianBorn Content Add-on in your STEP Lineup (like all the cool kids do...), then it likely does not have the correct bash tags attached. There is a whole topic devoted to that particular issue, and I would direct you there for all the particulars and the solution as well. I'd link you to it, but A) I would hate for your Search Skills to atrophy, and B) I suck at posting links. :) If you DON'T have that installed, then you may have a whole new version of that problem, in which case may Bethesda Have Mercy On Your Soul.

TLDR: With the exception of the Content Add-on from aMidianBorn, WB hasn't steered me wrong so far.

You can always manually verify that everything from a given mod is included in the bashed patch... sometimes they are not and you have to add the items to a global patch to make them go into the bashed one. 

As I recall then SRLE have a few of these issues in its conflict resolution you could use as a guide line. 

Lojack put together a post reference Relev / Delev recently https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/996573-skyrim-bashed-patch-pictorial-guide/page-8&do=findComment&comment=15159002

Just noticed this, nice job getting things out to help people Posted Image

I do want to note that your explanations for Relev/Delev (BashTags_notes.jpg) are incorrect though (sorry).

The actual workings of the tags are a little weird and complex, so:
  • [*]No Relev/Delev (aka: Automatic mode) - For each list: All items on the list in this mod will end up in the final list...
unless that item was removed by a previous mod that has Delev. Items that are already in the final list will not have their level changed if this mod changes the level. [*]Delev - In addition to the above, any items removed by this mod will not end up in the final list. The actual definition for "removed" is a gain a little odd: simply not being in the list does not constitute "removed". An item is "removed" if it's not in this mod's current list AND it was in one of its master mod's lists. This prevents "accidental" removal of items via the Delev tag. If you really truly want your mod to remove items from another mod, you must add that mod as a master in order to signal that. Otherwise a single mod with Delev would essentially make all further mods unable to add new items. [*]Relev - Normally if this mod has the same item as a parent mod, but the item levels are different, the item level difference is not carried over. In order to "relevel" that item, the Relev tag is needed. As an additional side case, the only way to forcibly add an item back in that was removed using the Delev tag is to tag this mod with Relev.

So it can definitely get confusing when you start talking about corner cases, etc.

Basic rule of thumb:

• [*]99% of mods need NO tags whatsoever for level list merging to do what you want it to (ie: Automatic mode) [*]Only a few mods need Delev, and only if you're trying to remove items from lists. This usually comes down to overhaul mods and the Unofficial Patches. The usually needs to be a conscious decision on the mod 
maker's part, since mods can only remove items from mods that are their masters. [*]More than above, but still only a few mods need Relev. Again this usually falls into overhaul mods and Unofficial Patches. This is to change items levels. And for the specific special case of adding back in items that were removed previously - a case which usually only and rarely comes up in compatibility patches.

Long story short, the average user should almost never manually tag a mod with Delev or Relev. Most of the time neither is needed, and determining if either is actually needed requires use of TES5Edit and knowledge of the author's intent.

If in doubt : Contact the author of the mod, who will confirm if the mod needs adding to BOSS / LOOT Masterlist of Bashed Tags which Wrye Bash uses.

• +1 1