"dotnet is not installed" error

Frejoh466

Question

I'm having an "There are potential problems with your setup" message,

dotNet is not installed or outdated. dotNet is not installed or the wrong version. This is required to use NCC. Get it from here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17851

I did use the guide, uninstalled .Net with the tool, downloaded and installed 4.0 didn't work, then I tried the latest version 4.5.1, did not work(anti-virus was disabled during the time). It's on Win7(could not use Create System Specs, becuse it "is limited to users in the group: Users.") Mod Orginizer is up to date. And I'm using it for Skyrim.

Hmmm... everything except the one registry dword is there. I'm going to instruct you to manually add that dword. It will remove the error from MO, but if running the NCC installer fails for whatever reason, than there's got to more to it.

1. Right-click on v3.5

2. Choose New > DWORD (32-bit) value

3. Name it

Install

4. Double-click your new Install DWORD and change the Value data to

5. Click OK

6. Restart Mod Organizer and attempt to install SkyUI. If the installer fails/works/whatever, report back.

I did read the "Guide:Mod Organizer" and did download the .Net from Microsoft home page("dotNetFx40_Full_setup.exe" and "NDP451-KB2859818-Web.exe"(I did use the link on the wiki)). I also uninstalled the .Net with add/remove programs and used a ".NET Framework cleanup tool".

I forgot to look at the Mod Organizer sourcecode for the identification mechanism of dotNet, so I directed you to the wrong registry location. In doing so, I discovered that it looks like it is actually seems  to be looking for version 3.5, even though it is linking to version 4. I know it requires 4, so I wonder if the warning message isn't outdated.

So go install version 3.5 (I think the link is here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=21) and see if that doesn't fix it.

The "dotNetFx35setup.exe" refuse to install, when I click it nothing happens. Tried to restart computer, run as admin, run it in safe mode. After a google search I got this

Newer operating systems (Windows 7+ afaik) do not (cannot) use installation files for the .NET 3.5 framework. Also, the 3.5 framework does not necessarily show in add/remove programs. Instead, you "turn on" the feature. Another detail is that Windows 3.5 includes 3.0 and 2.0 frameworks. In other words, .NET framework 3.0 and 2.0 do not require separate installs.

I am using Win7 x64 so it is already installed on my OS, and thats why I can not install it(and it is activated). Edited by Frejoh466

@Tannin Doesn't the portion of Nexus Mod Manager we use require .Net 4? I was pretty sure when compiling it that it required 4. If it indeed needs .Net 3.5 to work, than I need to change that on the wiki guide as well.

@Frejoh466

Actually, Skyrim includes the .NET 3.5 redistributable when you install it on Steam, so how you do not have it is beyond me. At any rate, navigate to your Skyrim folder and locate the DotNetFX folder. Inside there is the dotnetfx35setup.exe. Make sure you run it as administrator.