Install Order - STEP Core - aMidianBorn

GunerX

Question

I am following the STEP Core program right now (doing ALOT of testing and tweaking along the way for my own setup) and I don't see a specific INSTALL order for aMidianBorn - Content Addon.

I am asking for a specific INSTALL order for this (in relation to the rest of the aMidianBorn Book of Silence Mods) because according to MO the entire aMidianBorn Book of Silence - Dragonborn DLC is being overwritten by the Content Addon. Meaning I could just untick it.

I am assuming the Content Addon should be first in the install order, otherwise the Dragonborn DLC will be useless. But I wanted to ask here to confirm.

-edit-

never mind. found the answer

you should really update the detailed instructions for aMidianBorn Book of Silence, only reason I found the answer is because someone else had the exact same issue and someone answered it.

Edited by GunerX

Specifically, choose Custom install option and install ALL options as follows (where there is more than one option besides 'None')

It is specifically this that confused me (and others).

I read it as "click custom, leave other stuff as NONE, tic only what STEP says".

Personally I think to eliminate confusion it should be worded more like this:

"Specifically, choose Custom install option and be sure to install ALL options. Change these options as recommended by STEP."

Saying "install ALL options as follows" to me means only install the following options.

I have no idea what the problem is, if you followed STEP, it's pretty clear, and should look like this

aMidianBorn Book of Silence - Armors
aMidianBorn Book of Silence - Creatures
aMidianBorn Book of Silence - Dragonborn DLC
aMidianBorn Book of Silence - Unique Items
aMidianBorn Book of Silence - Weapons
aMidianBorn Book of Silence - Bonemold Hotfix
aMidianBorn Book of Silence - Content Addon

Qoute from the guide
Also download and install the Bonemold hotfix. The Skyforge hotfix is included in the Content Addon. Now install the Content Addon using the Improved Closefaced Helmets ESP.

Unless I am missing something here.

EDIT: If I am not mistaking, ContentAddon is suppossed to overwrite those files, cause it a patch to allow support of texture variations.
Edited by CovertSlinky

I stumbled upon the solution to the entire problem completely by chance in another bug thread about something TOTALLY DIFFERENT.

Basically, the detailed instructions for the aMidianBorn Book of Silence series is missleading. It makes people (not just me, cause someone else asked the same question) think that STEP wants them to install only the options that STEP mentions, and select NONE for every single other option.

In truth, STEP wants you to install EVERYTHING and then change only the settings it recommends. In other words, there should not be a single option set to NONE.

If you do this, then the load order is fine. Just put the Content Addon at the end.

But if you did what I did, then the Content Addon will overwrite the entire Dragonborn DLC mod because STEP only tells you to a tic few options.

TL;DR - the STEP Detailed instructions needs to be clearer on that Mod.

I have no idea what the problem is, if you followed STEP, it's pretty clear, and should look like this

aMidianBorn Book of Silence - Armors
aMidianBorn Book of Silence - Creatures
aMidianBorn Book of Silence - Dragonborn DLC
aMidianBorn Book of Silence - Unique Items
aMidianBorn Book of Silence - Weapons
aMidianBorn Book of Silence - Bonemold Hotfix
aMidianBorn Book of Silence - Content Addon

Qoute from the guide
Also download and install the Bonemold hotfix. The Skyforge hotfix is included in the Content Addon. Now install the Content Addon using the Improved Closefaced Helmets ESP.

Unless I am missing something here.

EDIT: If I am not mistaking, ContentAddon is suppossed to overwrite those files, cause it a patch to allow support of texture variations.

Exactly. I still can't see what the confusion is about/what instructions need updated. Perhaps not a native English speaker? We probably do need to implement the Fomod template on the page, but it seems clear to me.

I stumbled upon the solution to the entire problem completely by chance in another bug thread about something TOTALLY DIFFERENT.

Basically, the detailed instructions for the aMidianBorn Book of Silence series is missleading. It makes people (not just me, cause someone else asked the same question) think that STEP wants them to install only the options that STEP mentions, and select NONE for every single other option.

In truth, STEP wants you to install EVERYTHING and then change only the settings it recommends. In other words, there should not be a single option set to NONE.

If you do this, then the load order is fine. Just put the Content Addon at the end.

But if you did what I did, then the Content Addon will overwrite the entire Dragonborn DLC mod because STEP only tells you to a tic few options.

TL;DR - the STEP Detailed instructions needs to be clearer on that Mod.

Did you miss

Specifically, choose Custom install option and install ALL options as follows (where there is more than one option besides 'None')

Eh, its not a huge issue.

I only came here asking for help at first because I thought I had done something terribly wrong since MO was saying it was being overwritten completely.

I was like "why would they tell me to install a pointless Mod, that isnt right".

But after I figured it out it was kind of a facepalm moment. I realize what I did was kind of dumb, but atleast I wasnt the only one that did it XD

GunerX, thanks for the reply.  That's exactly what I was missing.  I read it exactly as you did.  I've used the STEP guide for multiple builds for months now and this is the first time I have had it correct.

Covert and DoubleYou, Thanks as well.  The guide is great.  It's helped immensely in creating stable builds.  

While I don't disagree the instructions could be better worded, EssArrBee's post right after the linked one explains it pretty succinctly, I'd have thought?

yes. as I said, this is where I found the answer.

But why would you leave the answer there, deep down in a place where most people are not going to find it, instead of putting it right there on the main details page?

Just read this entire thread and not a single mention about weather to merge, overwrite or rename when installing each part of aMidianBorn???

Why isn't this simple query even in the STEP guide, anyway?

Edited by d3v