General Feedback

• 4 weeks later...

reporting in

I just tried downloading LOOT from the link in the guide and Norton AV removes it, says there's a problem. On the nexus LOOT comment page, pStyl3 says it's a bad call on Norton's part. The nexus file downloads just fine, though it's a later version than what's called for in the guide. I figure that's just a result of the guide not being updated every time a new version of something comes out. I'm assuming that standard procedure is to download the latest version of files unless otherwise stated in the guide.

what are the guidelines regarding going in and editing the guide? With Neo's Skyrim Revisited guide, I would go in occasionally and make little corrections, with no complaints from Neo. Is this guide also open to that? I see some editing on the history of the page that is done by non-staff members, such as fixing small gramatical/typing errors and other such edits. Would it be acceptable for me to also make such changes?

Anyone can edit the guide; obviously some care is needed. Please don't remove or add mods directly to the guide; post information in the forum if you have recommendations to add or remove a mod including your experience with the mod if it's relevant. There is also a guide section that lists interesting mods that users might want to try; feel free to add to this section including some brief comments about the mod. If you want to change versions of a mod in the guide make sure you test the new version to make sure it works, and add a comment in the changelog about the version change. Currently the versions of LOOT and Wrye Flash are old, by the way. I'm currently testing some mods for addition to the guide.

• 2 months later...

In Merging Plugins section, Fallout 3 Hirezd (flamer and minigun plugins) are said to be fine to be merged but they are masters to the final STEP patch of The Wasteland Patch Collection.

Speaking of which, with the help of ElminsterAU, I was able to strip the STEP patch of 20th Century dependencies for those who don't use it

https://mega.nz/#!xFxinChQ!_lVeQ5iDvogTL0odPzk8iBFaB3QPtc3Y1_j9_5kFrNY

What I did was

-Use three dummy plugins in place of each of the three 20th century masters

-Filter by "only injected" in xEdit and delete the 2 records

-Apply Filter For Cleaning

-Use "Remove invalid entries from from lists.pas" as suggested by zilav to remove unresolved errors

-Clean Masters

Edited by Hackerpcs

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if anyone can help me with this?  I am using the 20thCW-less esp provided above but i am getting an error flag in MO saying that it is missing a master - WeaponModKits - FWE Master Release.esp.  However, following the guide, it says...

RH_IronSights FWE- WMK compatible
Core 
Cleaning 
  • Author: stabbycarrot
  • Version: vlatest
  • RequirementsFWE - FO3 Wanderers Edition., Weapon Mod KitsRH_Ironsights - FOSE (original version or the recommended Paradox Ignition merged version).
  • Notes: This mod allow iron sights to be used with all FWE modded weapons without messing up their damage values.
  • Installation: Download and install the ESP patch file with MO.

This mod combines the "WeaponModKits - FWE Master Release" plugin from "FOIP - Weapon Mod Kits and FWE 6-03" and the "RH_WMK_Bridge" plugin from RH_Ironsights, so those two plugins are no longer needed.

So I'm a bit confused because MO flags a missing master yet the guide says I don't need it due the above mod.  Can someone please advise.

Regards.

I wonder if anyone can help me with this?  I am using the 20thCW-less esp provided above but i am getting an error flag in MO saying that it is missing a master - WeaponModKits - FWE Master Release.esp.  However, following the guide, it says...

So I'm a bit confused because MO flags a missing master yet the guide says I don't need it due the above mod.  Can someone please advise.

Regards.

When mods are combined to eliminate the need for one or more plugins it is possible that another mod may still expect the original master. This can be fixed with xEdit or Wrye Flash; the result is that the need for the missing master is eliminated. The procedure is described in this guide page for Skyrim starting with the subsection titled "Changing Master File Names in Plugins"; use FO3Edit instead of TES5Edit and use Wrye Flash instead of Wrye Bash.

Regards.

This is an oversight by me while installing the guide and I think it also needs an edit.

WeaponModKits - FWE Master Release.esp

is from

"FOIP - Weapon Mod Kits and FWE 6-03"

that here

https://wiki.step-project.com/User:Kelmych/Fallout3#Conditional_Patches_List

is for use for the second row, which I actually (and I think most people) are on the 6th row and they installed

FWE, Project Beauty (Fallout 3 Redesigned), Weapon Mod Kits, RH_Ironsights, EVE, MMM

So, from "RH_IronSights FWE- WMK compatible" only RH_WMK_Bridge.esp must be installed. I'll try to remove also WeaponModKits - FWE Master Release.esp from the final STEP patch.

Edited by Hackerpcs

• 2 weeks later...

In Merging Plugins section, Fallout 3 Hirezd (flamer and minigun plugins) are said to be fine to be merged but they are masters to the final STEP patch of The Wasteland Patch Collection.

Speaking of which, with the help of ElminsterAU, I was able to strip the STEP patch of 20th Century dependencies for those who don't use it

https://mega.nz/#!xFxinChQ!_lVeQ5iDvogTL0odPzk8iBFaB3QPtc3Y1_j9_5kFrNY

What I did was

-Use three dummy plugins in place of each of the three 20th century masters

-Filter by "only injected" in xEdit and delete the 2 records

-Apply Filter For Cleaning

-Use "Remove invalid entries from from lists.pas" as suggested by zilav to remove unresolved errors

-Clean Masters

Can this go into the guide? I just spent an hour plus trying to figure out how to use the patch without the ability to download all the masters. Maybe with more bethesda modding experience i would have been able to figure it out quicker but to a super newb such as I, twas painful (and I imagine I'm still better than most). I almost just gave up and tried to run the pack without the patch. (not sure how that would have gone)

EDIT:   Also,  I still have no idea what exactly to do with bashed tags.   Kinda seems from the description that I should go through loot and manually pull all the listed tags for all the mods into wyre flash. But it also says that "For example, it is usually best to have only Fallout 3 Redesigned - Formerly Project Beauty HD use the Eyes, 'NPCFacesR.Mouth, and R.Teeth, bash tags so the facial changes it provides are not overwritten. Of course, if mods are used that are suppoed to override these Project Beauty entries for selected NPCs then use these tags for those mods."     but theres more tags listed in loot that those 4. So, either editing tags really isnt important (a preference feature?) or just editing that one and the dlc as instructed in the section are the only important ones? 

" if mods are used that are suppoed to override these Project Beauty entries for selected NPCs then use these tags for those mods."        How am I supposed to know this?

I ARE CONFUSED. In the meantime im not going to edit any tags other than beauty and the dlc as noted, and hopefully if thats the wrong move I can edit it after because I started this guide 7 days ago and I just want to play some fallout.

EDIT:2         From Loot

DynamicCrosshair.esp

• This plugin is incompatible with "DarNifiedUIF3.esp", but both files are present.

Im going to run it, since theres no extra notes that I can see (Or maybe this guide has ruined my vision lol)        If theres a step I missed or one that should be taken let me know.

Edited by NotDatGuy

Can this go into the guide? I just spent an hour plus trying to figure out how to use the patch without the ability to download all the masters.

Three posts prior to yours I pointed to a Skyrim guide that explains how to fix problems with missing masters. Merging plugins is complicated and typically with Fallout 3 merging plugins isn't needed, as mentioned in the guide. Dummy plugins can be used, but I'm reluctant to add that to the guide since it adds complexity to an already complicated procedure; I suggest downloading the plugins vs. using dummy plugins (that's what I usually do when I merge plugins). For Hirezd I'll add a comment to the guide that merging these plugins makes using the TWPC patches more complicated; I'd suggest not merging the Hirezd plugins unless a user really has a problem with the number of plugins. 

Maybe with more bethesda modding experience i would have been able to figure it out quicker but to a super newb such as I, twas painful (and I imagine I'm still better than most). I almost just gave up and tried to run the pack without the patch. (not sure how that would have gone)

EDIT:   Also,  I still have no idea what exactly to do with bashed tags.   Kinda seems from the description that I should go through loot and manually pull all the listed tags for all the mods into wyre flash.

Yes, there is currently no simple way to add bash tags to plugins. The note about Poject Beauty is aimed primarily at those using the Generate bash tags script since the script notes all the tags that can be used vs. only those that should be used. Determining which plugin's records should be used in the game is requires a fair emount of experience with FO3Edit and the Fallout 3 record types.

... also says that "For example, it is usually best to have only Fallout 3 Redesigned - Formerly Project Beauty HD use the Eyes, 'NPCFacesR.Mouth, and R.Teeth, bash tags so the facial changes it provides are not overwritten. Of course, if mods are used that are suppoed to override these Project Beauty entries for selected NPCs then use these tags for those mods."     but theres more tags listed in loot that those 4.

LOOT collects information from users about which bash tags should be used. I provided a lot of recommendations to the LOOT Fallout 3 team a few years ago but I'm not the only contributor. I base my recommendations on the resulting bashed patch when using the mods in the STEP FO3 guide. Using a different set of mods might lead to different recommendations unfortunately.

So, either editing tags really isnt important (a preference feature?) or just editing that one and the dlc as instructed in the section are the only important ones?

That depends on what is important to you. The Project Beauty tags affect how NPCs look. The majority of the tag recommendations affect the weapon/armor stats.

" if mods are used that are suppoed to override these Project Beauty entries for selected NPCs then use these tags for those mods."        How am I supposed to know this?

I'm not using any mods in my game that override the tags for Project Beauty; this comment was put in the guide since some users choose only a small portion of the guide when modding their game.

I ARE CONFUSED. In the meantime im not going to edit any tags other than beauty and the dlc as noted, and hopefully if thats the wrong move I can edit it after because I started this guide 7 days ago and I just want to play some fallout.

It depends on how consistent you want the game to be, particularly the weapon and armor balances. In your case it might be a good idea to go ahead and ply the game for a while and then decide what changes if any you want to make. Weapon/armor  balance changes can often be made later without causing game problems.

EDIT:2         From Loot

DynamicCrosshair.esp

• This plugin is incompatible with "DarNifiedUIF3.esp", but both files are present.

I have used it successfully with Darnified UI, but there are a number of good crosshair mods and if there are problems with any of them change to a different one.

Im going to run it, since theres no extra notes that I can see (Or maybe this guide has ruined my vision lol)        If theres a step I missed or one that should be taken let me know.