Mythic Dawn: Gateway to Oblivion WIP

hishutup

• 1 month later...

Hey man, just starting to go through the guide... Never used WB as a mod manager before so its fun learning that.  As a result though I'm definitely at a bit of a deficit - usually pretty good at figuring stuff out, but I find myself confused by your wording in the "Archiving the Data Folder" section.

I know, that's pretty early on but I already went through about half the guide once before realizing I had screwed up in the first steps, so I'd like to get it right this time.

Archiving the Data Folder
It is required that you archive the Data folder. This is going to be used in Wrye Bash as the first mod. I believe this will help with some of the glaring issues when uninstalling mods.

To archive your Data folder with Windows:

Navigate to your Oblivion Data install folder
Select any file/folder that is not an "*.BSA"
Right-Click and select "Add to Data.7z"

It's the 'select any file/folder that is not a BSA' line that confuses me.  Am I archiving the entire Data folder?  Or just the ESP's and the folders in it?

*meaning, shouldn't it read; 'select all files and folders that are not '*.bsa'

Edited by baronaatista

Okay so I was pretty tired when I wrote that. It seems pretty clear you're saying to archive all files/folders in the data folder that aren't BSA. The wording is ambiguous though.

As an aside I just realized you've really reduced the scope of the guide from when I first saw it... looks like it will be a solid base to work from though which is more or less what I was looking for. I've literally just gotten into Oblivion modding though so I don't really know what's available... any suggestions for gameplay enhancing stuff? Campfire/Frostfall/Ineed/Hunterborn/Scarcity/CCOR/CACO/Morrowloot/Ordinator/Vigor is the core of my Skyrim install and might be my favorite set of mods ever... So something in that range is what I'd like to do.

Currently looking at;

OOO

MOO

Better levelling

Better Fatigue

Better Health

Rebalanced Magic

CObl

Basic Primary Needs

...and others of course. Thoughts?

Hey man, just starting to go through the guide... Never used WB as a mod manager before so its fun learning that.  As a result though I'm definitely at a bit of a deficit - usually pretty good at figuring stuff out, but I find myself confused by your wording in the "Archiving the Data Folder" section.

I know, that's pretty early on but I already went through about half the guide once before realizing I had screwed up in the first steps, so I'd like to get it right this time.

Archiving the Data Folder
It is required that you archive the Data folder. This is going to be used in Wrye Bash as the first mod. I believe this will help with some of the glaring issues when uninstalling mods.

To archive your Data folder with Windows:

Navigate to your Oblivion Data install folder
Select any file/folder that is not an "*.BSA"
Right-Click and select "Add to Data.7z"

It's the 'select any file/folder that is not a BSA' line that confuses me.  Am I archiving the entire Data folder?  Or just the ESP's and the folders in it?

*meaning, shouldn't it read; 'select all files and folders that are not '*.bsa'

Archive the entire DATA folder, except for the BSA files

Okay so I was pretty tired when I wrote that. It seems pretty clear you're saying to archive all files/folders in the data folder that aren't BSA. The wording is ambiguous though.

As an aside I just realized you've really reduced the scope of the guide from when I first saw it... looks like it will be a solid base to work from though which is more or less what I was looking for. I've literally just gotten into Oblivion modding though so I don't really know what's available... any suggestions for gameplay enhancing stuff? Campfire/Frostfall/Ineed/Hunterborn/Scarcity/CCOR/CACO/Morrowloot/Ordinator/Vigor is the core of my Skyrim install and might be my favorite set of mods ever... So something in that range is what I'd like to do.

Currently looking at;

OOO

MOO

Better levelling

Better Fatigue

Better Health

Rebalanced Magic

CObl

Basic Primary Needs

...and others of course. Thoughts?

I haven't really been involved with this game for awhile as I just havent been into it, but the direction I was going to go is MOO and TIE.

Rebalancing will probably have to happen, but my knowledge on what the two mods do is very limited.

The things that I wont consider are tedious mechanics, unreasonable models(like body mods) and performance draining mods. I feel the game is supposed to be this fun rpg that is just an awesome experience rather than deep immersion.

Spent all night last night looking up mods.  Why, when I jumped into this, did I not think there would be a similar volume/quality of mods as in Skyrim?  I thought yeah I'll just do a STEP type thing and maybe toss a couple extra's on top...

Anyway yeah I generally side somewhere in the middle.  I like my hardcore/survival type experience and probably a lot of stuff you'd find tedious... but I generally attempt to keep that stuff as minimal as possible.  I just find that those finicky mechanics when handled properly can create really nice loops between gameplay and narrative... yeah, deep immersion.

I almost never use city/town expansion mods as I find they are a prime culprit for draining performance (and compatibility nightmares), all while adding (IMO) very little to the game.  

Usually don't use body mods but was thinking that I actually might for this game, as the standard models are not fantastic.  Looking at Roberts Male & HGEC (with a minimal option, I'm not into ridiculous cartoonish characters, and I don't need to see tits bounce).  With OCOv2 for faces... though I can't decide on that one.  The basic vanilla faces are horrible... they don't look like people but more like they're made of some kind of gel... OCO looks like a pretty heavy solution though and I'm concerned about how well it will fit in with the rest of the world... Yet from what I've seen the other solutions (Natural Faces) don't go far enough...

Also looking at All Natural for weather, with Realistic Water / Enhanced Water v20 (assuming water mods can be used with OR, haven't looked into that yet)...

Anyway yeah I know you're not really actively working on the guide, I just wanted to hear some thoughts from someone who has more knowledge in the Oblivion modding scene than I.  

• 4 months later...

I can not get fcom Realswords resources to download from tes alliance.  (other files also (oblivion warcry ev opti.7z and fcom bob's armory oblivion opti.7z 

also  fcom_convergence.7z,found elsewhere) Insanity's Improved Armoury Compilation,tried a single insanity file also).  Is a link to another location available anywhere?