CTD after map fast travel, esp into an inn

Fargh

Question

Hello,

I just finished getting a STEP extended installation setup. My machine generally seems happy about it. Mind you, I found the process a little confusing, so I may have done something wrong during setup. I did not use all of the patches for this reason, though I did use the extended patch and at least one more.

My existing character used mods that I removed, so I get a warning when I load it. Assuming that is not the problem, let me describe what is happening:

I load into the save file just fine. I can move around with no problems. The last time I ran it, I fast traveled to Whiterun and my 'home' there, no problem. Then I fast traveled to some other town (if this is important I can look it up)...and I went into a building that had crashed every previous time I tried to go (been trying to solve my own problem, which is how my character is no longer stuck in a croutch). This time it let me in before crashing. The floor was black, like a texture didn't load. A man was in the hallway in what appeared to be a glowing purple rubber smock (something was not right there). He also had a unibrow that was remarkably similar to that found on Burt from Sesame Street. At this point, it crashed again.

Anyone have a guess as to what mod(s) is/are causing the problem? I have a new gaming laptop, so my assumption is that it isn't the hardware. No FPS drop at all.

I use Nexus  Mod Manager and MO. I used LOOT, not BOSS. I have no idea how to export my load order.

Thank you

• Answers 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

So...I imported into MO. I didn't delete the Nexus manager, but I didn't let it keep the files either.

And it crashes when I try to enter the hall. Something must be resource heavy as it also loss some frames going up some stairs. 

Used loot to organize everything...kind of thinking maybe I should just yank most of these mods out and give up.

I will try removing the hi res textures that were suggested in the hopes that does something. Maybe see if steam is trying to cram some mods into the set up as well.

I'm not 100% sure how effective the import feature of MO is but if you could check what is in your Data folder, NMM places files into this folder whereas MO does some magic and never touches it. If there are any remnants of mods from NMM left behind they will cause some issues.

This is what should be in the Data folder:

Dawnguard.bsa
Dawnguard.esm
Dragonborn.bsa
Dragonborn.esm
HearthFires.bsa
HearthFires.esm
HighResTexturePack01.bsa
HighResTexturePack01.esp
HighResTexturePack02.bsa
HighResTexturePack02.esp
HighResTexturePack03.bsa
HighResTexturePack03.esp
Skyrim - Animations.bsa
Skyrim - Interface.bsa
Skyrim - Invalidation.bsa
Skyrim - Meshes.bsa
Skyrim - Misc.bsa
Skyrim - Shaders.bsa
Skyrim - Sounds.bsa
Skyrim - Textures.bsa
Skyrim - Voices.bsa
Skyrim - VoicesExtra.bsa
Skyrim.esm
Update.bsa
Update.esm

Also if you have subscribed to some mods on Steam, I suggest you make copies of those mods and then unsubscribe from Steam for the same reason as NMM, it will place mods into the actual Data folder also.

It probably sounds like a lot of effort but believe me once you have your Skyrim Data folder cleared, you can add/remove/replace/update or whatever, and never need to fear that something has been irrevokeably stuffed up again.

Edited by GrantSP

Thanks.

I did exactly what you said to do (after removing the four steam mods). Unfortunately, now it crashes at icon if I open it with steam, skse, or mod organizer...

So that may not have gone to plan.

Adding all the files back (and there were many) to the data folder got it to work until the amazing crash point. 

I'd like to try turning off the hi res stuff, but I just realized there isn't a very clear list on this thread.

So...no guesses as to which of the STEP mods would rely on SKSE and modify ceilings and character clothing? I still think there are probably like 1-3 mods that have to turn off and this might all magically go away.

Edited by Fargh

Okay, so I've been playing with mods. The only new thing I can say is that the problem with purple glowing ceilings and clothing is intermitent. I've also noted that if I start in one of the inns, the textures seem to load okay in the ceiling and the clothes. So the fault lies somewhere in the handoff between loaded areas.

So....any more ideas? Should I just do a clean install of the darn application and only add a few mods? I'm in a foreign country. It would take way too long for me to do the whole step install from scratch.

Regarding "map mods you're using? Made sure ENBoost is working properly via it's .ini settings" :

Okay...I don't know if I installed ENBoost. I think that I looked at it and decided it was a whole world of convoluted pain that I didn't want to touch. Is that critical to this whole endevour? Also, I just went through the step guide and I don't see any map mods that would be applicable to this issue.

Edited by Fargh

I'm worried by this statement:

Adding all the files back (and there were many) to the data folder got it to work...

Which files are you referring to? If they are mods, then this is not what you need to be doing. They should added using MO, which doesn't place anything in that folder.

I'm going on the assumption here that this problem is because of a conflict between mods. Managing them all with MO will ease the problem, or at least make it easy to diagnose.

Lastly, ensure you start the game from within MO from now on, not any shortcut to Skyrim that is still on the desktop.

Those Steam mods the @phazer11 advises to add back, should also be added using MO. If you saved them as archives just use that function to install them. Here's how to do it.

Okay. 

I will keep that in mind about ENBoost and revisit. 

I have not uninstalled NWM, but I uninstalled the mods that steam added. I also made sure they were not checked in MO. When I pulled all of the mods that weren't on your list from the data folder, and used MO to open from multiple exe options (SKSE, etc), it immediately crashed. This was after moving the mods acccording to MO, supposedly, and using Loot to sort them, as well as letting MO check for conflicts in order, etc.

I can try adding back the four steam mods. 

If you continue to use NMM and MO together you will continue to have issues.

Mods installed by NMM will be placed in the 'actual Data' folder, not the 'virtual Data' one created by MO. This is a crucial step. MO will not be able to manage any conflicts with mods outside of its VFS.

Time to 'bite the bullet' and make a choice: MO or NMM, but definitely NOT BOTH.

Okay, thanks for the suggestions.

I uninstalled NMM. I removed the list of mods in the data folder. MO now recognizes 34 mods to load. If I could put the mods that it does not recognize (the ones that I moved out of the data folder) into its virtual data folder perhaps I'd get somewhere. I don't know. 

I get the same crash as I did when I removed the mods from the data folder. 

Found the folder. Moving stuff over. My set up seems all wonky anyway, might as well.

As you may have guessed, MO doesn't recognize I put anything in its mod folder. 

Okay...looking like a clean install of everything or just wash my hands of STEP. Eh. 

Edited by Fargh

May I suggest reading the wiki before you go on any further. I sense a misunderstanding of how the MO system works and any attempts to proceed further may still be problematic.

Using MO is not difficult but it is a major adjustment to how other mod managers work so there can be confusion.

STEP itself is just a guide and any of the 'issues' you faced would exist if you were trying to install mods without following it, so STEP of itself is not the reason for your angst.

Stick with it, the skills you learn doing this will hold you in good stead with following the other more challenging guides in the future.

Thanks, 

I appreciate the patience with me. 

I don't blame STEP I guess, more my interactions with STEP. Well, maybe I blame it a little.

In some cases, I'm guessing NMM didn't leave me with the original binaries to import, so I had hoped MO was a little more robust, eh. The import function had a much longer list of mods when I did the NMM import and it apparently could 'see' them in the real data folder. They only disappeared when I removed them from the data folder.

Meanwhile, I guess I'll try to find out what causes the mostly vanilla installation without the mods to crash now ever time I try to open the game.

Thanks for that. Steam fixed 8/9 screwy files. There is one left it assures me it will fix. But it has been sitting here for at least an hour or two and the file isn't updated. 
Maybe I should go back to the step guide and see if it told me to save a 'pure' version of an ini file or something.

No. It turns out that all the stuff that went into my save files makes them broken. It let me start a new game that I immediately jumped out of. 

I will try to clean the save file. Kind of putting me off want to play this game again.

Nice, the save cleaner that was suggested requires that I be in that save...but it crashes before it loads. 

Edited by Fargh

So, I took the advice and redid everything using only MO. Thanks, it seems to work. Now, the last save file....well....I may have to start the game over if I can't find my head. 

Going to see if i can clean the save up like suggested earlier in the thread.