CTD after map fast travel, esp into an inn

Fargh

Question

Hello,

I just finished getting a STEP extended installation setup. My machine generally seems happy about it. Mind you, I found the process a little confusing, so I may have done something wrong during setup. I did not use all of the patches for this reason, though I did use the extended patch and at least one more.

My existing character used mods that I removed, so I get a warning when I load it. Assuming that is not the problem, let me describe what is happening:

I load into the save file just fine. I can move around with no problems. The last time I ran it, I fast traveled to Whiterun and my 'home' there, no problem. Then I fast traveled to some other town (if this is important I can look it up)...and I went into a building that had crashed every previous time I tried to go (been trying to solve my own problem, which is how my character is no longer stuck in a croutch). This time it let me in before crashing. The floor was black, like a texture didn't load. A man was in the hallway in what appeared to be a glowing purple rubber smock (something was not right there). He also had a unibrow that was remarkably similar to that found on Burt from Sesame Street. At this point, it crashed again.

Anyone have a guess as to what mod(s) is/are causing the problem? I have a new gaming laptop, so my assumption is that it isn't the hardware. No FPS drop at all.

I use Nexus  Mod Manager and MO. I used LOOT, not BOSS. I have no idea how to export my load order.

Thank you

• Answers 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Hmm.

Waiting thirty days did not return my steel helmet head. Either it is weird mod interactions with the old save file or....I had to add back the book of silence addon file because I missed it. Any chance that I need to reload a chain of files so I can get my head back?

In MO open the 'Saves' tab in the right hand pane and "mouse over" the save that you are trying to use. There will be a popup with a screenshot of the save and above that a list of missing plugins that this save expects to have installed. If the list is small, perhaps just one or two, I would try re-installing them and then try the save. If the list is more extensive I would bite-the-bullet and try a new character.

Of course if the list is extensive, and you can figure out which of the mods would make changes to the character's head/helmet, you could also try installing that mod.

It is always a good practice to not make changes to modlists mid-game if you want to keep playing with that character. Even with mods that shouldn't affect saves there is always something residual. Maybe it's benign, maybe it removes your head. 

Cool, I had no idea. I will do that now. I waited 31 days by the way. I was unclear.

And here is where my eyes cross....it doesn't list any missing mods. That said, the file seems to think it has the whistle for a horse mod installed based on a "whistle, whistler or whistle" text choice. Something screwy in that file.

I have now used the SKYRIM Save cleaner (didn't click on boxes for Cells, dead or leveled NPCs). Still no head. And the whistle dialog remains. Even though I am only using MO now. Wondering if a skyrim file got corrupted? Wouldn't know which file.

No chance I overwrote a file that I need to write back to regain my head due to adding that amidian add on file later than I should have? Sigh.

Edited by Fargh

Derp. It was me. There's a secondary file for the weapons and armor mod so it plays nicely with the closed helmet mod. I forgot it.

I'm still quite open to suggetions about how to get rid of the darn whistle whistle whistle text choice in every NPC dialog box

Hmm. I may have figured it out. It seems to be what I would consider an annoying mini quest added by "Convinient Horses." Okay so, I can get rid of that maybe. If that doesn't work I will get back to you on that screenshot and list. Will update either way.

On an unrelated note...I went ahead and tried to use the Vividian ENB file. As this series of posts suggest, I probably shouldn't have. It likes to crash an awful lot and I don't see much of a change in graphics. Hopefully I can reign that back. Or figure out what I screwed up. Maybe rebuild the dual sheath redux patch? Sigh.

Can't tell if it was accidentally moving two folders out of the mod folder that I shouldn't have (vividian) or doing the patch but....I think everything may actually be working now? 

I will now try to find time to play the game rather than fight its files and if it works click on solved.

Edited by Fargh