Haven't played Skyrim since 2012--need advice, please :)

AdventureGirl

Question

Hi, all. *waves*

My name is Ashley--or Ash if you'd like--and I'm new to this site.  :^_^:

I bought Skyrim in 2012, but had too much going on to ever get past The Horn of Jurgen Windcaller quest, haha.

So, a lot has changed. When I last was in the know, NMM and BOSS were primarily used. I had a few mods added through NMM back then, but not too many as, again, I had little time.

I would like to play Skyrim again (have all DLCs now), but I'm quite honestly lost.

I've downloaded Mod Organizer and bookmarked mods that I thought would be worth looking into/I remembered from 2012, but I honestly have no idea if they're any good. I've looked at S.T.E.P. before, but this was at least a year ago.

I don't have anything Skyrim related on my computer--the steam game is uninstalled and both the Skyrim folder in steamapp and My Games is deleted for (I think?) a fresh install.

My system specs are as follows:

-i5 2500k 3.30ghz not overclocked

-8GB RAM

-715+ GB space

-AMD HD Radeon 6670 1GB  <<<this is my weakest point, but I have no idea what graphics card I would upgrade to. I know I have 600W power supply. If you would like a Newegg link to the PC rig I own, please ask!

This is the list of mods I typed up (some were from 2012), but, again, I'm essentially new to modding and S.T.E.P:

-Ornate Saddles
-Immersive Saturation Boost
-Sub Surface Full Body Map for Coverwomen and UNP UNPB Bodies
-Coverwomen
-No More Blocky Faces
-Natural Eyes
-High Quality Eyes
-Enhanced Better Sorting
-Book Covers Skyrim
-Book Covers Skyrim - Compatibility Patch Collection
-Better Skill and Quest Books Names
-Relighting Skyrim
-Skyrim Project Optimization
-Moonlight Tales Version
-The Paarthurnax Dilemma
-Improved Fish
-The Choice is Yours 
-skyBirds 
-When Vampires Attack
-Amazing Follower Tweaks
-Even Better Quest Objectives
-Cooking Expanded
-Drinking Fountains of Skyrim
-Herbal Tea
-Be a Milk Drinker
-Harvest Overhaul
-SkyTEST - Realistic Animals and Predators
-Gildergreen Regrown
-Point The Way
-Glowing Ore Veins 300
-AC87s Vilkas and Farkas
-I Wash - New Skin for Skyrim
-Inconsequential NPCs
-Bellyaches Ohdaviing Replacer
-Bellyaches HD Dragon Replacer Pack
-Radiant and Unique Potions and Poisons HD
-Enhanced Blood Textures
-Immersive NPC in the dark
-Fishing In Skyrim
-Rainbows
-Torch of Everlasting with Dynamic Shadows
-EZ2C Dialogue Menu 
-Convenient Horses
-Birds of Skyrim 065 BSA archive
-Hunting Grounds Weapon Pack
-Hunting Grounds Outfit
-Heart of the Beast - ALL Sounds
-Faster Mining
-Dragon Language Book
-Disease Descriptions for the Immersive Adventurer
-Real Days and Months
-Real Shelter - Full Release
-Frostfall - Hypothermia Camping Survival
-Sell Unusual Gems - Stones of Barenziah
-Bellyaches Animal and Creature Pack
-Lanterns of Skyrim - All In One
-Dynamic TimeScale now with AutoSave
-Pure Waters
-Pure Weather
-A Quality World Map
-Falskaar
-Wyrmstooth
-iNeed - Food Water and Sleep
-Footprints
-Timing is Everything - Quest Delay and Timing Control
-DIMONIZED UNP female body
-Wet and Cold
-Predator Vision - Vampire Werewolf and Khajiit
-Run For Your Lives
-Birds and Flocks Hearthfire Edition
-Read And Learn Speechcraft Speech
-Deadly Dragons
-Better Magic
-ACE - Athyra's Comprehensive Enhancements
-SkyUI
-Unofficial Dragonborn Patch
-Unofficial Hearthfire Patch
-Unofficial Dawnguard Patch
-Unofficial Skyrim Patch

Whew, thanks for reading this and I'm excited to meet new people and learn more about S.T.E.P! ::D:

Edited by AdventureGirl

So what exactly is the question? Are you just merely asking if any of those mods are still good to use? Or is there a more elaborate question that totally blew over my head, lol. A few of those mods I am not familiar with, majority of them I am. And for the ones I know, they are fine to use. Regardless, it will all boil down to compatibility between them and anything else you throw in, which brings me to another point, do you plan on installing a STEP Core? The pc looks workable, 1gb of vram is your biggest downer. If you decide to upgrade for the sake of modding skyrim, go with a 4 gb card of some sort. But, anyway, welcome to STEP and happy modding.

I'd recommend you follow the 2.2.9 STEP Core + Extended guide with an eye for 1k graphics options. Be sure and follow the instructions for enboost (or an enb preset, like Minimal ENB by Ewi65) and SKSE as they both offer powerful memory management / extension features.

Find the time to read the DDSopt guide here as soon as you can - the vanilla + HRDLC texture optimizing is automated through available batch files and should be helpful.

Finally, with what you've learned from all that give the Guide to running SR:LE & REGS packs with ENB a look for more performance options (its designed to max out for 2 gb cards, but should still be helpful even if you have to make some cuts / choices). Oh, and keep posting your questions when you are sure you are stuck, lots of help to be found here.

Good luck, fun times ahead and lots to discover since 2012.

Edited by redirishlord
  • +1 1

So what exactly is the question? Are you just merely asking if any of those mods are still good to use? Or is there a more elaborate question that totally blew over my head, lol. A few of those mods I am not familiar with, majority of them I am. And for the ones I know, they are fine to use. Regardless, it will all boil down to compatibility between them and anything else you throw in, which brings me to another point, do you plan on installing a STEP Core? The pc looks workable, 1gb of vram is your biggest downer. If you decide to upgrade for the sake of modding skyrim, go with a 4 gb card of some sort. But, anyway, welcome to STEP and happy modding.

:blush: Sorry! I meant that I was new to modding and everything so I had no idea if those were good at all still to implement or if none of them were part of S.T.E.P/recommendations. Thanks :)

I'd recommend you follow the 2.2.9 STEP Core + Extended guide with an eye for 1k graphics options. Be sure and follow the instructions for enboost (or an enb preset, like Minimal ENB by Ewi65) and SKSE as they both offer powerful memory management / extension features.

Find the time to read the DDSopt guide here as soon as you can - the vanilla + HRDLC texture optimizing is automated through available batch files and should be helpful.

Finally, with what you've learned from all that give the Guide to running SR:LE & REGS packs with ENB a look for more performance options (its designed to max out for 2 gb cards, but should still be helpful even if you have to make some cuts / choices). Oh, and keep posting your questions when you are sure you are stuck, lots of help to be found here.

Good luck, fun times ahead and lots to discover since 2012.

Whew, okay, that should keep me busy then! :P

In all seriousness though, thank you for responding. I do remember in 2012 I had some mouse sensitivity issues, but I probably also wasn't loading things correctly or something back then, too. I've heard that MO and LOOT are much better than what was around in 2012. :)

P.S. If either of you (and anyone else who happens upon this thread) could give me an idea as to how to update my graphics card within the confines of my power wattage and everything, that'd be great. I recently found out my motherboard info via a program called CPU-Z and I have the link to my PC rig (Newegg). I'm sure there's something I could upgrade to that would give a decent jump up. I do know my power supply is I believe 600W.

Edited by AdventureGirl

Well, all that stuff I mentioned isn't going anywhere, you can take it down in bite-sized pieces. Install STEP Core with 1k textures and run about in the world a bit, get a feel for it. To that end, you might add Alternate Start Live Another Life, it will let you skip the Helgen tutorial (you start in a prison cell, pick your look through the race menu then commune with a statue of Mara to pick an alternate start, like camping in the woods near Riverwood, then you go play).

Mod Organizer will be really handy down the road (so be sure to use that instead of NMM) as you can create copies of your current "profile" (all the mods and settings you're using) to try new mods (possibly untested, not from the STEP guide), or to play new characters (each profile can have its own mod list, settings, local saves) - plenty of time for all that later. 

P.S. If either of you (and anyone else who happens upon this thread) could give me an idea as to how to update my graphics card within the confines of my power wattage and everything, that'd be great. I recently found out my motherboard info via a program called CPU-Z and I have the link to my PC rig (Newegg). I'm sure there's something I could upgrade to that would give a decent jump up. I do know my power supply is I believe 600W.

Suggesting could be easily done, however, this would also depend on your budget. So throw a figure at us. Just having a 600W psu means nothing to me, I could go on a rant about what power requirements determine whyat psu you need, wattage alone does not dictate what is necessary....I am starting to already, lol. I don't want to unless you want me to, but anyways, what's your budget.

Suggesting could be easily done, however, this would also depend on your budget. So throw a figure at us. Just having a 600W psu means nothing to me, I could go on a rant about what power requirements determine whyat psu you need, wattage alone does not dictate what is necessary....I am starting to already, lol. I don't want to unless you want me to, but anyways, what's your budget.

Well, I was having a discussion with one of my PC friends, and they mentioned that my computer as it is right now might be too tight a fit for a new graphics card, and something about the i5 2500k 3.30ghz psu might not support a newer card based on plug in directly or something? Sorry if I completely butchered that. This PC I bought at the time on sale for $550 on Newegg: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspxItem=N82E16883229284

There are also pictures to show the inside of the PC.

Well, all that stuff I mentioned isn't going anywhere, you can take it down in bite-sized pieces. Install STEP Core with 1k textures and run about in the world a bit, get a feel for it. To that end, you might add Alternate Start Live Another Life, it will let you skip the Helgen tutorial (you start in a prison cell, pick your look through the race menu then commune with a statue of Mara to pick an alternate start, like camping in the woods near Riverwood, then you go play).

Mod Organizer will be really handy down the road (so be sure to use that instead of NMM) as you can create copies of your current "profile" (all the mods and settings you're using) to try new mods (possibly untested, not from the STEP guide), or to play new characters (each profile can have its own mod list, settings, local saves) - plenty of time for all that later. 

Awe, thanks! Will definitely do in chunks. :)

I'd definitely recommend that you stick with Core at first. Indeed, in your situation, I might recommend you install up to Interface and then play a bit with that until you get a good feel for it all.

Ah, that does make a lot more sense than the list I had from 2012 and now, haha.

Definitely run with STEP core. I wish I found out about it before I started modding! With your graphics card if you went crazy with mods you'll just crash your system. Everything that Red suggested about tweaking your graphics is a must! I've got a 4GB card and I run with those tweaks - they are essential!

As the others mantioned here, I would do a clean start and do STEP Core. Some of the mods you have in that list haven't been updated for a long time and better alternatives are there. STEP Core will guide you in detail to have a stable good-looking game. 

Thanks for the suggestions so far, everyone!  :^_^:

I'm actually considering buying a whole new PC since this once would almost take more money to upgrade/switch to a new case than a new one, since I know all of the components are getting worn out.

I'm pretty sure this is way overpowered compared to what I have now to play Skyrim and such, but I found this:

Any idea what would be a little cheaper but still able to play games well, or is this the best for me for the price?
Unless this was totally a bad choice, hahaha.  :blush:

2500k seriously not worth upgrading right now. the new cpu's are only like 10-20% faster, and dont overclock so well. Moreover a 2500k does not even bottleneck a 780ti, last I read it. 

Instead of buying a new system, which will be expensive, put that money in a shiny GPU like a r9 280x or, preferrably, 290 or 780:) Maybve overclock the 2500k to between 4.0 and 4.2ghz, which basically any 2500k can do easily. 

You could also consider buying an SSD, as a modded skyrim will often load 20-30gb of data, so it will increase your load speed and potentially reduce stutter (which could occur from regular HDD)

How would I figure out what graphics card would fit, though? I mean, my PSU and motherboard aren't fried right now, but my PC is at least 3 years old now, so I'm worried that buying one part will end up being useless a year from now or whatever, if that makes sense? 

As far as my income goes right now, I live at home still so I only pay a few hundred a month in expenses. I get paid again on the 26th and my current funds are a little over $2,000.

2500k seriously not worth upgrading right now. the new cpu's are only like 10-20% faster, and dont overclock so well. Moreover a 2500k does not even bottleneck a 780ti, last I read it. 

Instead of buying a new system, which will be expensive, put that money in a shiny GPU like a r9 280x or, preferrably, 290 or 780:) Maybve overclock the 2500k to between 4.0 and 4.2ghz, which basically any 2500k can do easily. 

You could also consider buying an SSD, as a modded skyrim will often load 20-30gb of data, so it will increase your load speed and potentially reduce stutter (which could occur from regular HDD)

That might be true about the 2500k being able to be overclocked to those speeds relatively easily... However that PC can't since the genius who put that kit together decided to shoot the end user in the foot by putting in a H series chipset (which allow the graphics card on the CPU to be used but not allow the cpu to overclock via the unlocked multiplier) and a cheapo motherboard besides.

@AdventureGirl if you want to buy a new PC I would recommend building it yourself as it'll give you a bit more freedom. You'll probably want one of the devil's canyon chips I'd have to look around to find the best one for you. $2000 is totally doable. $1000-1500 is too. A good graphics card will run you between $250-600. The motherboard ~$150-200. The processor $200-350. The case $100-175. The PSU $100-200. 16GB of RAM around $130-160, and an aftermarket cooler would run you $29-100 plus whatever storage and peripherals you need. High end of that is $1785 low end is $960. Granted this is all higher end and not on sale you might be able to find better deals if you researched it a bit more and then waited for a sale or rebate.