Haven't played Skyrim since 2012--need advice, please :)

AdventureGirl

Question

Hi, all. *waves*

My name is Ashley--or Ash if you'd like--and I'm new to this site.  :^_^:

I bought Skyrim in 2012, but had too much going on to ever get past The Horn of Jurgen Windcaller quest, haha.

So, a lot has changed. When I last was in the know, NMM and BOSS were primarily used. I had a few mods added through NMM back then, but not too many as, again, I had little time.

I would like to play Skyrim again (have all DLCs now), but I'm quite honestly lost.

I've downloaded Mod Organizer and bookmarked mods that I thought would be worth looking into/I remembered from 2012, but I honestly have no idea if they're any good. I've looked at S.T.E.P. before, but this was at least a year ago.

I don't have anything Skyrim related on my computer--the steam game is uninstalled and both the Skyrim folder in steamapp and My Games is deleted for (I think?) a fresh install.

My system specs are as follows:

-i5 2500k 3.30ghz not overclocked

-8GB RAM

-715+ GB space

-AMD HD Radeon 6670 1GB  <<<this is my weakest point, but I have no idea what graphics card I would upgrade to. I know I have 600W power supply. If you would like a Newegg link to the PC rig I own, please ask!

This is the list of mods I typed up (some were from 2012), but, again, I'm essentially new to modding and S.T.E.P:

-Ornate Saddles
-Immersive Saturation Boost
-Sub Surface Full Body Map for Coverwomen and UNP UNPB Bodies
-Coverwomen
-No More Blocky Faces
-Natural Eyes
-High Quality Eyes
-Enhanced Better Sorting
-Book Covers Skyrim
-Book Covers Skyrim - Compatibility Patch Collection
-Better Skill and Quest Books Names
-Relighting Skyrim
-Skyrim Project Optimization
-Moonlight Tales Version
-The Paarthurnax Dilemma
-Improved Fish
-The Choice is Yours 
-skyBirds 
-When Vampires Attack
-Amazing Follower Tweaks
-Even Better Quest Objectives
-Cooking Expanded
-Drinking Fountains of Skyrim
-Herbal Tea
-Be a Milk Drinker
-Harvest Overhaul
-SkyTEST - Realistic Animals and Predators
-Gildergreen Regrown
-Point The Way
-Glowing Ore Veins 300
-AC87s Vilkas and Farkas
-I Wash - New Skin for Skyrim
-Inconsequential NPCs
-Bellyaches Ohdaviing Replacer
-Bellyaches HD Dragon Replacer Pack
-Radiant and Unique Potions and Poisons HD
-Enhanced Blood Textures
-Immersive NPC in the dark
-Fishing In Skyrim
-Rainbows
-Torch of Everlasting with Dynamic Shadows
-EZ2C Dialogue Menu 
-Convenient Horses
-Birds of Skyrim 065 BSA archive
-Hunting Grounds Weapon Pack
-Hunting Grounds Outfit
-Heart of the Beast - ALL Sounds
-Faster Mining
-Dragon Language Book
-Disease Descriptions for the Immersive Adventurer
-Real Days and Months
-Real Shelter - Full Release
-Frostfall - Hypothermia Camping Survival
-Sell Unusual Gems - Stones of Barenziah
-Bellyaches Animal and Creature Pack
-Lanterns of Skyrim - All In One
-Dynamic TimeScale now with AutoSave
-Pure Waters
-Pure Weather
-A Quality World Map
-Falskaar
-Wyrmstooth
-iNeed - Food Water and Sleep
-Footprints
-Timing is Everything - Quest Delay and Timing Control
-DIMONIZED UNP female body
-Wet and Cold
-Predator Vision - Vampire Werewolf and Khajiit
-Run For Your Lives
-Birds and Flocks Hearthfire Edition
-Read And Learn Speechcraft Speech
-Deadly Dragons
-Better Magic
-ACE - Athyra's Comprehensive Enhancements
-SkyUI
-Unofficial Dragonborn Patch
-Unofficial Hearthfire Patch
-Unofficial Dawnguard Patch
-Unofficial Skyrim Patch

Whew, thanks for reading this and I'm excited to meet new people and learn more about S.T.E.P! ::D:

Edited by AdventureGirl

How would I figure out what graphics card would fit, though? I mean, my PSU and motherboard aren't fried right now, but my PC is at least 3 years old now, so I'm worried that buying one part will end up being useless a year from now or whatever, if that makes sense? 

As far as my income goes right now, I live at home still so I only pay a few hundred a month in expenses. I get paid again on the 26th and my current funds are a little over $2,000.

Doesn't matter if it is 3 years old. CPUs are no longer being improved in accordance with Moore's Law, so their effective speed hasn't gone up very much since sandy bridge. The 2500k is still a powerhouse and upgrading will net you maybe 10% more fps, under the best conditions. If on the other hand you upgrade your GPU, you can see like a 500% increase in FPS as well as overall improved image quality due to being able to run at higher settings. Look at this chart:

https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/charts/2014-vga-charts/04-Metro-Last-Light-1080p,3596.html

Your GPU is almost at the bottom with 8.70 FPS. However if you buy, let's say, an R9 280x for 220 euro (300 dollars I guess) then you can increase your FPS in that game according to that chart to apprxoimately 55-60! Upgrading your CPU to a better one would costs more and would only gain you 2-3fps, at most. 

Your specs say it is a 600w PSU but it doesnt say if it is 80+ quality. It is important to know this as the actual output of your GPU may be much lower than the theoretical. 

Now I don't know your budget, but the AMD r9-290 seems to be one of the best card for the price. It outperforms the GeForce GTX 780, and cost a lot less. About 25% less. But it's still a high-end card, and is priced as such. I think it cost around 380$-400$. It requries 275 Watts if I recall correctly. Although I believe the recommended PSU for this card is ~750 Watts. But I think that goes for most high-end card. Normally one would need 900+ for Crossfire/SLI.

EDIT: Now that I've read your budget, there is no need to go that high for just the graphics card. But you should consider getting another PSU, so you can actually us the highend cards.

Edited by Halde

If I buy the parts separately, I have a friend who will help me build the PC he said.

Just a matter of what parts.

Though if there is a PC that is already pre-made and is $1000 or less, please link. :)

Is this good at all for a pre-built?

https://www.amazon.com/CyberpowerPC-Gamer-Ultra-GUA450-Desktop/dp/B00CF1T1SY/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=undefined&sr=1-2&keywords=radeon+R9+270+2GB#productDetails

I have a computer that is 8 years old and is still running and being on a daily basis (my wife uses it). It has a stable overclock on it that has been running straight for the past 4 years. So don't let the age concern you unless you got reason to believe it will cause a problem. I totally concur with everyone's recommendation, to put the money in a good gpu. I see nothing in those pictures telling me that a gpu won't fit, they are mostly designed with these things in mind more or less. The only possible conflict that might occur, is if you decided to leave that old gpu card installed after installing a new one, which you don't want to do in the first place, cause for one it isn't bridgable, and two you will want that extra space to give the new gpu room to breathe. So, choice is yours.

Pre buildt are never worth the money.. you can always get it cheaper buying parts (Also they tend to come with all sorts of annoying software etc. that will just confuse you into thinking it is a good idea to actually use it.). Also modern components are almost 100% idiot proof. Stuff can only fit in one way, and if you forgot some power plug etc the system will tell you when it starts (lots of warning noise). 

The only tricky part is setting in the cpu and mounting the cooler. However once that is out of the way the rest is literally just plug n play. For cpu mounting etc there are scores of youtube videos as reference for just about every single model known to man, and probably also with every single cooling solution... or close to it anyways. 

Since you are worried about having money in the bank then I would recommend saving a few bucks where you can. 

The computer I have right now, which is listed in my signature, I built myself and paid $819 out the door at MicroCenter earlier this year.

That pc has some respectable parts, the gpu for the most part, the cpu is ok, but for what the 8320 costs in comparison to the 8350, i'd just spend the extra $20 and grab the 8350 imo. The only thing that isn't listed (or I could not see) is the motherboard, and to me is the most important part, maybe it ain't listed cause it isn't that good, idk just a thought. But for the money, it's doable, but I still think your current machine with a new gpu is the way to go imo. Cause in all fairness, your 2500k is better than the 8320, the 8350 would be a better comparison though.

Ah, well what if I kept my CPU and I guess RAM but got a new case and everything to put the new stuff in. Would that work, or would I be better off making it all new? I just don't want the processor or anything to go/die before the new stuff does, you know?

By the way, one of my friends suggested this one, but I wasn't sure if it was any good? It's the "level 3" one:

Edited by AdventureGirl

Your CPU won't die, a non-OC CPU will go 15-30 years or something. Generally hardware components dont usually break a lot, except from HDDs and other components with moving parts which have a slightly higher chance. Why'd you want a new case though? As long as the GPU fits and your overall temps are good and you dont need extra expansion slots, there's little reason to get a new one.

Edited by Nearox

pcpartspicker.com will find you the best prices.

I was in the same position as you about 6 months ago. See my signature for what I decided upon.

You'll have to spend the time going to each manufacturer's web site to get the dimensions of the card and compare that to the measurement you take of your case. Please actually do this. Then you know for sure how much space you have.

Can your current MoBo handle the bandwidth of a new GPU? Double check your manufacturer's web site.

My advice; buy new components as they go on sale and price match is your friend. Upgrade your pc in this order

GPU

MoBo (might have to do this and GPU at same time. if only to keep from opening your PC and re-building all the components)

RAM

SSD (holy cow, this makes a difference!!)

My 4GB GTX 770 is working great. 760 should work well also.

Your CPU won't die, a non-OC CPU will go 15-30 years or something. Generally hardware components dont usually break a lot, except from HDDs and other components with moving parts which have a slightly higher chance. Why'd you want a new case though? As long as the GPU fits and your overall temps are good and you dont need extra expansion slots, there's little reason to get a new one.

Honestly I don't like the case at all. The usb ports and everything are at a angle and a lot of other things I just don't like about it, lol.

I'll pick the parts I would get (so you have a reference); if you tell me a couple things.

1. AMD or Nvidia graphics card?

2. Do you have problems with heat (i.e. does it get hot where you live and in particular the room your computer is in when it's on)

3. Your most comfortable price range.

4. Do you plan on overclocking at all?

1. Never owned Nvidia so I don't really have a reference...so far I've heard that AMD R9 270 is good as is GeForce 760/770?

2. I live in Pennsylvania, so the summers never usually go past 80 something. Have air conditioning int he house with the vent being next to my computer on the floor, if that helps? Would definitely want to build or buy a PC with good ventilation case.

3. I'd prefer not to go over $1250 at max. I don't need a mouse or speakers, would need operating system. Keyboard I'd like to change but doesn't have to be part of this build/buy.

4. Not sure how to do it, haha.