Haven't played Skyrim since 2012--need advice, please :)

AdventureGirl

Question

Hi, all. *waves*

My name is Ashley--or Ash if you'd like--and I'm new to this site.  :^_^:

I bought Skyrim in 2012, but had too much going on to ever get past The Horn of Jurgen Windcaller quest, haha.

So, a lot has changed. When I last was in the know, NMM and BOSS were primarily used. I had a few mods added through NMM back then, but not too many as, again, I had little time.

I would like to play Skyrim again (have all DLCs now), but I'm quite honestly lost.

I've downloaded Mod Organizer and bookmarked mods that I thought would be worth looking into/I remembered from 2012, but I honestly have no idea if they're any good. I've looked at S.T.E.P. before, but this was at least a year ago.

I don't have anything Skyrim related on my computer--the steam game is uninstalled and both the Skyrim folder in steamapp and My Games is deleted for (I think?) a fresh install.

My system specs are as follows:

-i5 2500k 3.30ghz not overclocked

-8GB RAM

-715+ GB space

-AMD HD Radeon 6670 1GB  <<<this is my weakest point, but I have no idea what graphics card I would upgrade to. I know I have 600W power supply. If you would like a Newegg link to the PC rig I own, please ask!

This is the list of mods I typed up (some were from 2012), but, again, I'm essentially new to modding and S.T.E.P:

-Ornate Saddles
-Immersive Saturation Boost
-Sub Surface Full Body Map for Coverwomen and UNP UNPB Bodies
-Coverwomen
-No More Blocky Faces
-Natural Eyes
-High Quality Eyes
-Enhanced Better Sorting
-Book Covers Skyrim
-Book Covers Skyrim - Compatibility Patch Collection
-Better Skill and Quest Books Names
-Relighting Skyrim
-Skyrim Project Optimization
-Moonlight Tales Version
-The Paarthurnax Dilemma
-Improved Fish
-The Choice is Yours 
-skyBirds 
-When Vampires Attack
-Amazing Follower Tweaks
-Even Better Quest Objectives
-Cooking Expanded
-Drinking Fountains of Skyrim
-Herbal Tea
-Be a Milk Drinker
-Harvest Overhaul
-SkyTEST - Realistic Animals and Predators
-Gildergreen Regrown
-Point The Way
-Glowing Ore Veins 300
-AC87s Vilkas and Farkas
-I Wash - New Skin for Skyrim
-Inconsequential NPCs
-Bellyaches Ohdaviing Replacer
-Bellyaches HD Dragon Replacer Pack
-Radiant and Unique Potions and Poisons HD
-Enhanced Blood Textures
-Immersive NPC in the dark
-Fishing In Skyrim
-Rainbows
-Torch of Everlasting with Dynamic Shadows
-EZ2C Dialogue Menu 
-Convenient Horses
-Birds of Skyrim 065 BSA archive
-Hunting Grounds Weapon Pack
-Hunting Grounds Outfit
-Heart of the Beast - ALL Sounds
-Faster Mining
-Dragon Language Book
-Disease Descriptions for the Immersive Adventurer
-Real Days and Months
-Real Shelter - Full Release
-Frostfall - Hypothermia Camping Survival
-Sell Unusual Gems - Stones of Barenziah
-Bellyaches Animal and Creature Pack
-Lanterns of Skyrim - All In One
-Dynamic TimeScale now with AutoSave
-Pure Waters
-Pure Weather
-A Quality World Map
-Falskaar
-Wyrmstooth
-iNeed - Food Water and Sleep
-Footprints
-Timing is Everything - Quest Delay and Timing Control
-DIMONIZED UNP female body
-Wet and Cold
-Predator Vision - Vampire Werewolf and Khajiit
-Run For Your Lives
-Birds and Flocks Hearthfire Edition
-Read And Learn Speechcraft Speech
-Deadly Dragons
-Better Magic
-ACE - Athyra's Comprehensive Enhancements
-SkyUI
-Unofficial Dragonborn Patch
-Unofficial Hearthfire Patch
-Unofficial Dawnguard Patch
-Unofficial Skyrim Patch

Whew, thanks for reading this and I'm excited to meet new people and learn more about S.T.E.P! ::D:

Edited by AdventureGirl

First of all you got some pretty good advice about how to choose your parts from phazer.

I’d like to add:

If you are going to be building your new rig yourself and this is your first effort please and I mean PLEASE get a fully modular PSU. The model in phazer’s build is not modular.

Modular means all the power cables can detach from the main unit. Very important as you, and I when I built my first rig, don’t have a clue how all these components actually fit together inside a case. You’ll appreciate the flexibility of detachable cables.

I chose parts based on what I know works.

CPU: I purchased the i5 4670. I like it. The i5 4570 is a little less expensive.

MoBo: I chose the GigaByte Z97M-D3H model because it’s compatible with the 1866MHz RAM. You can choose the H97M model but you’ll have to down grade to the 1600MHz RAM. 

RAM: MSI MoBo’s have a compatiblity issue with G-Skill RAM. There’s a work-around but it’s a pain. I advise to avoid the MSI-GSkill combo.

Storage: I own it. It’s fast. Works for me.

VideoCard: I like GTX770. (The GTX760 can handle a reasonably modded Skyrim.) But you seem to have a AMD preference. No problem. This CPU + MoBo combo will accommodate any of the GPU’s you’ve been looking at (eg. GTX 760, 770, AMD 280X, 290)

PSU: I own it. It is fully modular. Works for me.
Edited by Member121

Thanks. :)

I actually am willing to let anyone just give me their build ideas, so long as it's under $1350. For days now I've tried doing it myself with various tips, but every time I get one part down, another one is said to be better or something isn't compatible. Considering my noobness with everything, I'm just sighing in defeat and listening to those more knowledgeable than me, LOL!

I've also tried on different sites, but no one seems to really incorporate or know about modded Skyrim with GPUs and such.

I'm sorry that I wasn't as open before, I thought I knew what I wanted, but clearly I don't, haha.

I do want a case with good ventilation and blue LED fans/lighting, though, even if the LEDs must be separate. Oh, and if possible, the parts be blue, or at least no clash with a blue/black/white build.

Thanks!  :blush:

P.S. Going to go back through your links, Phazer, though it may be easier to make a build list fresh without my stuff already in it since I'm starting over. :)

Edited by AdventureGirl

AdventureGirl wants
Blue LED lighting - Here’s a place. I don’t mod my PC so I can’t help with that.

Blue case. When I was building my new PC I thought these were pretty good looking cases. But, I was trying to save money so I didn’t buy a Prodigy case.

The Prodigy-M case is NOT compatible with ATX MoBo’s. If you choose the Prodigy-M case you MUST choose a m-ATX MoBo. m-ATX also known as Micro-ATX or even (squiggly) u-ATX

And, there’s the original Prodigy case.
The Prodigy case is NOT compatible with the ATX MoBo. If you choose a Prodigy case you MUST choose a micro-ITX MoBo.

ATX, m-ATX and Micro-ITX are different size MoBo. (Yes, the actual length x width in inches.)

A m-ATX MoBo will not physically fit into a Prodigy case. 
A m-ATX MoBo will fit into a Prodigy M case.

I assembled a build idea that includes micro-ITX MoBo and a Prodigy case (in blue).
Double check with G-Skill about the RAM being blue.
Double check with GigaByte about length of video card.

PCpartPicker does not have the Prodigy-M case listed but it’s out there. There are several manufaturers of m-ATX MoBo’s. GigaByte has a well reviewed model: GA-Z97M-D3H
Edited by Member121