Samsung Evo SSD sale worth it?

EssArrBee

Amazon is having a sale on Samsung EVO 840 SSDs right now. I'm thinking about an upgrade and those look like a good price for just about the best SSDs out right now, short of the EVO 850.

120GB for $88

250GB for $119

500GB for $200

That 500GB seems like the best deal, but I'm thinking about the 250GB. I have a Micron 120Gb right now about a year old that runs fine and what I really need is a HDD since my laptop's HDD is starting to fail (I think). Luckily I took the DVD drive out and put in the SSD with one of those dvd-to-bay converter things. I wouldn't mind the extra space on the SSD though and just get a HDD when I find one I like.

I also saw that newegg has 2x 5TB Seagate external drives for $320. That is $32/GB, or in other words, super f***ing cheap!!! I have so many 3.5 HDDs laying around I don't ever know what I'm going to do with them, but how do you pass up that kind of sale?

I'd buy one if I didn't just spend $180 on buying 2 3TB internal drives to replace the 2.5TB (2 separate drives that added up to 2.5TB) that just quit on me (infuriating really these slaves had only been working for 7-8 years, I hadn't finished with them yet!). The only other drive I might recommend is the Crucial MX100 but from what I've read they are slightly slower (the price is too); however unlike the Samsung Evo and Pro drives I don't know anyone who has one. Those external drives do look like a good deal though. It'd be nice to have one. However, I'm not sure I would go with Seagate at least for internal drives; I think the External drives are ok but there's been some fishy stuff going on with their internal drives. The Samsung Pro 256GB is $169.99 right now and if this were a year and a half ago I'd buy one over the Corsairs (which are nothing to sniff at)

I've read several places that the Samsung Pros, Corsair Neutron GTX, and Kingston HyperX 3K are able to go beyond writing a petabyte so you shouldn't need worry about them. The 840 EVO has (in at least one test) shown it will last for 300TB of writes before anything potentialy worrisome might occur. For reference my Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB in my laptop has been running since late march of last year and has only accumulated 10-12TB of read and writes (can't check it atm my laptop is in the shop and I have no more open bays for the SSD which I took out before sending it off) and that's been running Windows and been my Skyrim and Steam drive. I got a second at the time as well since I was able to get them for $170 a piece at the time and was planning for either a SSD or a new graphics card at the time... Now I have one for my desktop and my laptop.

Here's the article I was talking about. I'm a little busy right now so I can't find the others.

Link

As far as HDDs go after much research and talking to many people on overclock.net I finally reached the conclusion to buy some Toshiba 3TB drives, they're a little more expensive (not by much) than the Seagates but more reliable as far as I've been able to tell. They're from the Toshiba takeover of Hitachi's desktop drive division when the regulatory agencies said WD had to sell off some of the assets when they bought out Hitachi to make their HGST division (which by the way are the drives I recommend for laptops and fast external HDDs).

I bought two of these the other week (they were on sale for $95 a piece).

Link

Hope it helps.

Edit: Almost forgot. Amazon has the 500GB Samsung EVO for $199 right now (so I'd be more inclined to get one of those or the Samsung Pro 256GB).

Link

Oh, and don't forget that if your local Best Buy has the drive in stock all you have to do is tell them you want to price match it (and the sale has to still be going on when they look it up at the register) and they'll match Newegg (and Amazon as well I think)

I haven't actually bought hardware through a public business in sometime. I used to buy direct from vendors since I could get their prices, but that isn't really an option now that I'm a civilian again. There are some perks to being a govt employee.

I have the micron mx100 right now but 128gb is to small. I'll just stick this in my gf's lappy and get new one.

That 500 gb drive is calling out to me though. These last two gens of SSDs are almost to the limit of SATAIII so they really do move some 1s and 0s. I wouldn't mind getting a new laptop either but that can wait a few more months, maybe till haswell drops, but by then we'll have SATA Express and I'll just want new drive. So frustrating…