Random crashes & freezes

iGomoosrsly

Question

I've been having some issues lately with random crashes and freezes happening. It's not due to the usual reasons (such as 4 grids loading at the same time, riverwood etc), it just happens at completely random, more or less only IN COMBAT.

It happened the last time I used this guide about 3 months ago. I was playing a spell caster and it would sometimes crash (either ctd or just lock up completely) whenever I entered combat and started casting spells in their faces. (1st person, as far as I remember, was when it was most prone to happen).

Now I'm playing a sword & shield character after installing everything in the guide (except a few lower resolutions, and performance Vividian ENB instead of high). I didn't install ASIS, however, which shouldn't make it crash more, so doesn't matter. Completely random as I enter combat (and usually have fought for a little while) it just crashes on me. It happens in both 1st and 3rd person, and it's completely random whether it happens or not. Secluded areas, inside bandit strongholds, inside falmer caves, draugr ruins; anywhere. It only happens in combat, and seems more prone to happen in 1st person when I'm up close with an enemy, but also happens when that is not the case.

I have tried disabling certain texture mods to maybe reduce the strain on my system (as I don't hit the 60 fps mark with SSMA, even with the performance version of the ENB, but hovering close right now), but to no avail. Doesn't seem to help.

I believe that it would be mod related as your PC specs indicate that it should be able to handle the game fine (according to my knowledge).

I'm currently running the game off an AMD A10-6800k APU, with 2x HD Radeon 6870 GPUs with 1GB of VRAM on each card. I'm only using 1 card though, so I didn't enable CF for skyrim.

Do you have any mods installed that modify those specific areas you are having CTD issues with?

If you're familiar with TES5Edit, I would suggest loading your current active mods and checking for conflicts related to that worldspace.

I used to have frequent CTDs myself until I got the memory patch working and solved most conflicts with mods that were activated.

I think primarily you should be looking at worldspace conflicts. If I recall right, worldspace edits would be the cause of CTDs due to simply walking through specific areas.*

*If someone could confirm this, that would be great.

Edited by supra93

Thanks Supra,

I managed to resolve a couple of other visual glitches by putting Neo's Conflict resolution patch at the bottom of the load order. It also brought me to within sight of the stones before crashing.

Im not too familiar with Tes5Edit, about and beyond what Neo talks about in his installation guide but I will have a look on the web and see if I cant educate myself.  Essentially I'm going to be looking for a specific location in the Skyrim.esm worldspace folder and see where the conflicts are is that correct?

Here's a couple of useful resources that might help.

Good luck!

Thanks supra, this has definitely helped me to understand the mechanics of the system.

My next question - can you tell Im new to this - is how do I know what I am looking to fix. Because the crashes happen randomly (albeit most often on the stretch between Helgen and Riverwood) what files or worldspace blocks do I need to be focusing on?

Thanks

AT

Thanks supra, this has definitely helped me to understand the mechanics of the system.

My next question - can you tell Im new to this - is how do I know what I am looking to fix. Because the crashes happen randomly (albeit most often on the stretch between Helgen and Riverwood) what files or worldspace blocks do I need to be focusing on?

Thanks

AT

I wish I could help you with that, however, I don't really know myself how to solve conflicting worldspace records. I've only just begun to understand TES5Edit in terms of conflict resolutions and use it on a small scale/basic level.

Hopefully someone else could help you out with your problem.

The only thing I could really say is that from using my googlefu, random CTDs and CTDs in specific areas are due to multiple mods changing worldspace records within the same cells (in your situation).

If you haven't already, try using default ini settings for Skyrim as well as removing texture/content mods that you feel would be conflicting with one another in the specific areas you are experiencing the CTD.

EDIT:

You could try posting your question and LO on https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/ to see if anyone there could help.

Also, this may be relevant. 

Edited by supra93

I got the log to work guys, thanks. Weird things is that it says "256 256" in the header instead of "512 256", and the game crashed once it reached 256.

[General]ClearInvalidRegistrations=1[Memory]DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768ScrapHeapSizeMB=256[Display]iTintTextureResolution=2048

This is my SKSE file. My SKSE file is located in "..Mod OrganizermodsSkyrim Script ExtenderSKSE" folder. Is there a reason it isn't working?