Optimized Vanilla Textures (by tony971)

EssArrBee

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the author, so maybe it is okay, even if he told us something different.

All it takes is one person to tell Bethesda. Things like Bethesda Hi-Res DLC Optimized shouldn't be allowed either.

And, by the way, contrary to what "The Vampire Dante" told him, Nexus' own Terms of Service expressly forbid sharing content from the DLCs.

The Nexus is treading on pretty thin ice by having an admin, an agent of the company, permit this file.

Anyway, my point is: don't count on seeing this file up there for long. It could be. But you never know when Bethesda will decide to crack down on this stuff.

Edited by fireundubh

Its just the DDSopt guide from STEP done & uploaded for the novice/lazy modder, correct?

When/if BethSoft orders it taken down folks can just come here and do there own DDSopt-imization per the guide. A "PSA" could be added to the STEP page at that point, maybe incorporated into the Nexus description so that the Nexus search function brings up the STEP page over there for texture optimization searches.

I just finished the STEP guide, should I be thinking about getting this? Would I have to redo the conflicting graphic section if I did. Or, would I be better off just learning how to use DDSopt and doing it myself? Questions! 

Interesting, I did my own BSA's, from the bit of information pointed out in the STEP guide, which then pointed to the link by arthmoor's guide on archive.exe. However, I did find that I had to do something that no one else mentioned. I first opened the originals in archive.exe and payed attention to what settings were in-place for them, they all had options that were different from what arthmoor pointed out. Now I never made a point to state it, cause quite honestly I wouldn't be surprised if what options I chose didn't matter, first time I made BSA's for the 7 vanilla BSA's I had all sorts of errors, mostly texture related, so after doing it the other way, they worked however there is a considerable gap in length of time that I did those different methods, so like I said could mean nothing. But, I was surprised that STEP didn't offer it's own guide for it, I don't see the harm in offering it, hell I'd even be more comfortable getting the answers here than somewhere else. Just my .02 cents.

Yeah it would be really really weird if bethesda is going to start a **** storm over this..... that would also mean they would have to go hunt down people who took their textures.. applied sharpen and then redistributed it!

Also the textures still require the DLC to actually work.. since if you just have the textures they wont be working at all since nothing links to them. Again depending on how strict you want to be then it could be forbidden... but at the end of the day I highly doubt they are going to care in the slightest... and if for some reason they do then they will most likely send a takedown email to nexus first who will then just remove with that being the cause... end of story! 

Dont worry about the legal stuff, it will be fine so long as every texture has had some form of process to alter them in comparison to the original .. Passing them through DDSOpt will do that even if the results are barely distinguishable

See this topic https://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1481184-is-it-legal-to-edit-bsas-nifs-etc-and-use-it-in-modding/

My Vanilla Reduced Textures would have been pulled a couple of years ago if that was not the case :)

Edit : And if anyone does not accept CCNA's word as a BGS Forum moderator in that linked topic, tell them to read the Creation Kit EULA, its all in there ( same as it was in the Construction Set for Oblivion and Morrowind, Bethesda encouraging us to mod is beneficial to them because it increases the longevity / life expectancy of the game, and attracts far more customers buying the game as a result of seeing all the things modders have created for the game ).

Edited by alt3rn1ty