Optimized Vanilla Textures (by tony971)

EssArrBee

I honestly don't quite get the installer too...  why not release it as a simple archive with loose textures, simply letting the user overwrite what he wants ?

MO is becoming widely considered as the mod manager of choice, and manage perfectly those sort of things.

Edited by Fereval

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly don't quite get the installer too...  why not release it as a simple archive with loose textures, simply letting the user overwrite what he wants ?

MO is becoming widely considered as the mod manager of choice, and manage perfectly those sort of things.

The installer is only for NMM/Wyre Bash users. MO users just download the BSA files and activate them with MO. And of course, they're free to use the BSA extraction tool included with MO if they prefer loose files.I don't have the files loose by default for a couple of reasons. First, it would be a load order mess for non-MO users. Half of the point of the mod was to get the textures to overwrite their original versions and nothing else. MO users benefit from the BSA files, too. I've kept the same naming conventions for the Skyrim - Textures.bsa and HighResTexturePack0X.bsa files. Leaving them as such will make MO not even load the originals. So you're not wasting time loading the original textures before loading the optimized ones.

Edited by tony971

The beta versions of Wrye Bash and TES5Edit have added the ability to read plugin-loaded ini files. This will allow them to continue loading the DLC BSA files even if users inadvertently reset the line in Skyrim.ini. That's one less notable concern to worry about. LOOT, BOSS, TES5Edit, Wrye Bash, Mod Organizer, and the Creation Kit are now fully compatible with all installation methods. The only major tool that I'm concerned about is SkyProc. Could a NMM/Wrye Bash user install the plugin-less version and see if they get missing string localization file warnings? If so, those users will have to use the plugin version unless SkyProc also updates with skyrim.ini-reading abilities.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I installed the mod exactly the same way NameTaken displayed. It somehow makes my game crash within seconds when doing vurt's stress test (vanilla is completely stable). Dunno if it's due to the way MO works (stressing asset loading like that with a very large BSA might not have been accounted for) or due to the package.

But on the other hand doing vurt's stress test isn't fully stable with STEP Extended+Lumen ENB @7 ugrids anyway, but that's lots of 2k textures and not a lightweight ENB.

I'd be interested if others can reproduce this.

Just reporting it works fine for me. I even went back up to 60FPS to run the Dev Aveza Airship mod and WOW, I had no idea Skyrim felt so natural, and it's not so ugly. I really didn't think to find a difference between locked 30fps and 60fps, aside from having drops causing some lag in 60FPS. Guess I'll join TB's 60FPS master race fanclub. I won't, I have a crappy PC hahahaha

• 1 year later...

Now that version 6.0 is all wrapped up, I figure you guys should know what it is before users start asking the difference between mine and z's. The textures themselves are the end result of following your DDSopt guide for Skyrim. Except that I only collapsed textures to 4x4 instead of 1x1. The major feature of the mod is that it'll sandwich itself between the vanilla assets and unofficial patches. It'll never overwrite anything it's not supposed to. (Without using plugins)

Edit: The HD versions are a merge of the official High Res DLC and original textures. The unofficial high res patch fixes were incorportated as well. So it'll also act as a substitute for those.

Edited by tony971