[Solved] DDSOPT optimization of HRDLC3: Dark Arms?

After the "Optimizing the Bethesda Textures" section, I launched my game and started a new game before installing any mods. In the cart ride, I noticed that the NPCs around me had dark arms and seams. I unticked every optimized mod in the left pane, and I narrowed it down to HRDLC 3. I deleted the contents of the HRDLC3 Optimized folders 3 times, re-optimizing with DDSOPT according to the Skyrim Revisited: Legendary guide, but I still have arm seams and dark arms. Help?

By "dark arms" I assume you mean they're purple or such? Also have you double checked that you updated your ddsopt .ini file as per DDSOpt guide? Neovalen links to the DDSOpt guide which has the .ini file.

Not purple, the texture isn't missing, it's just that the arms are much darker than the face and body. And yes, I used the .ini file from the DDSOPT guide 

The installation order at this point in the installation (before adding the Unofficial Patches and Distant Decal Fix) doesn't seem correct. Following the STEP guide it should be:

Cleaned Update ESM

STD Textures optimized (whatever name you use for the optimized version of Skyrim - textures)

Cleaned Dawnguard ESM

Dawnguard textures optimized

Cleaned Hearthfire ESM

Hearthfire textures optimized

Cleaned Dragonborn ESM

Dragonborn textures optimized.

High-Resolution Pack 1

High-Resolution Pack 2

High-Resolution Pack 3

HRDLCoptimized

HRDLCoptimized 

HRDLCoptimized 

Were you able to determine anything about the texture being used?

HRDLC3 includes the high resolution body models such as the head. I can't see any noticeable differences between the vanilla versions of the head in HRDLC3 and the optimized ones, and for the normal races these aren't dark. That head does look like it could be a vampire head; the vampire head is quite dark (perhaps one reason that Neovalen used standard heads for vampires in SR:LE, with only the eyes being different)

It seems to be all females. That was just some random preset I picked out in character creation. I also noticed it on the female captain during the Helgen Intro. I'm currently looking at which files it could be and then trying to copy the originals back over to see if they got optimized for some reason.

I did test it out and it is an error with Neovalen's instructions as they do not specify to not optimize the skin textures in HRDLC3. Extract your HRDLC3 and copy over the folder below on top of the ones you've optimized and you should be good. Honestly surprised it took me this long to figure it out. Burning too much midnight oil I guess; been about the only time I've had here between hardware failures and preparing to go back to classes (thankfully it's only two this time so I shouldn't have to spend as much time on class work this semester).

textures/actors/character

Did you see this problem when the textures were optimized with the instructions in the DDSopt guide? All but a few of the textures in that folder are uncompressed, and they are intentionally not optimized. There are a few compressed textures in the folder; the mipmaps are replaced for these but nothing else is changed.

I will likely update the DDSOpt section when I get some time to point directly to the STEP vanilla optimization guide instead of maintaining a separate section on it. Just haven't had any real time to look into rewriting that section. In any case, if your following SR then all of those are in the end overwritten.

Edit: I updated to point to the STEP instructions and left the basic explanation text.