Original Support Topic (feel free to create more specific support topics)

Kelmych

Question

Clear and Present Danger - A guide for modding Fallout 3

This thread is for reporting problems when using the "Clear and Present Danger guide for Fallout 3". This includes errors in the guide, problems in following the guide, problems with the mods included in the guide, and problems running Fallout 3 when following this guide.

Please post any problems such as these in this forum. It's also best to post them here vs. sending me a PM. Often I won't have an answer but the other readers of this forum might have a good answer.

Looking for possible solutions with Google, most of the solutions used changes in some display parameters and ini settings. Several responses said it was the settings on the graphic card. Another comment was that a Stealth boy or stealth suit could do this. You might try changing some of the pipboy screen colors in the Settings menu, and perhaps other Display settings to see if they matter. I haven't seen this happen so I don't have any solutions that I already tested.

thanks for looking Kelmych. I'd done the same myself, but was worried I might have missed or overlooked something that someone with more experience might know to keep an eye out for!

AFAIK the settings in both FO3 and FNV are broadly similar in my setup, and it is specific to FO3. I was wondering about disabling the ENB(oost-ish) just in case it was an unusual bug. I'll try that and a few other things later. Have already switched colours (the blue is nice, and my new favourite in both games) and I tried moving some stuff around in the dUI settings page.

As a last-ditch attempt, I'm trying to get in touch with Gopher - hoping his experience in creating the a/i/u HUD mods could offer some insight. Will post again with any more info I find out/dig up. Cheers!

and I can't believe it. It WAS the ENB causing the blank pipboy. So weird, especially considering it's basically disabled in enbseries.ini !

I think I might miss the memory features of ENBoost though, so maybe more messing around required.

Thanks for sticking around & helping out :)

If you run into the problem with the cursor and menu and pipboy being blacked out check this thread.

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/1862600-no-cursormenu-only-when-bashed-patch-active/

It's not the ENB. I have v249 installed and I looks great. To prevent the game crashing during start up I unchecked the bash patch and created a patch with FO3Edit and itseems to be working fine now. I hope this helps guys!

Also, I have given up on MO for now and just use Wrye Flash. Too many things go wrong when I use MO and I don't know where to begin to solve a problem when one pops up. MO is too complicated for now.

It's not the ENB. I have v249 installed and I looks great. To prevent the game crashing during start up I unchecked the bash patch and created a patch with FO3Edit and itseems to be working fine now. I hope this helps guys!

hi bitdman,

for me, it is the ENB that caused the blacked out pipboy. I already worked around the broken main menu/cursor issue by removing the bashed patch. I'll use the info in that post so I can get my bashed patch back!

So. I've not compeltely narrowed it down, but I re-enabled the ENB dll after changing the following settings in enblocal.ini:

[ANTIALIASING]
EnableEdgeAA=false
EnableAccumulativeAA=false

[FIX]
FixGameBugs=true
FixTransparencyBugs=true

Not sure whether its the AA or AccumulativeAA or either of the [FIX] options. I'm kind of all done in as far as testing goes & just want to play for a bit. I'll try each thing later and report back. Regardless, it *definitely* works now - so I've got ENBoost features back & a working pipboy. Yippee!

Several of the comments I found using Google mentioned AA settings as the solution they found. I've been looking at putting either a link to the Skyrim guide section on setting up graphic cards or to add a revised version in this guide. I use the guidance in the STEP guide for Fallout 3, but I haven't tested it to see what happens with changes.

I personally haven't had any problems with MO and Fallout 3 using the most recent version of MO. I do make a lot of use of the profile capability in MO to have different install and load sets. The hardest part, of course, is setting up the UI mods since some of the scripts require "FOMM - fork" so they can delete menu entries from other mods. I have the UI section early in the guide since I suggest doing it first, then proceeding with the rest of the guide. LOOT also seems to work well with MO, and many of the LOOT developers/testers are using MO so this integration is reasonably well tested as LOOT evolves.

Personally I much prefer the bashed patch over the FO3Edit merged patch in Fallout 3 (if I could only choose one) where Wrye Flash handles many record types. The bash tags allow a lot of configurability, and when I look at the plugins with FO3Edit I can see that this bashed tags are quite useful in allowing some fairly useful fine grain control of the merged data. In the past I have often used the merged patch as a starting point for manual patches to supplement the bashed patch (which doesn't handle all record types in Fallout 3), and I will likely do so for Fallout 3.

Does the cursor not show up in the menu used to load a particular game save, or only once a game is running?

The most common cause of mouse problems is that an xbox controller is plugged into the computer. By the way, these can be used with Fallout 3/NV if desired by following the instructions for controllers in the Fallout 3 guide.

Did you compare the menu files in your mod list with the UI mod directory screenshots I added to the guide as a link. If the UI mods aren't setup properly I suppose this could happen.

If you don't have a controller, then searches suggest that the problem is a mod plugin that's overwriting some of the menu-related records in the game. I am using all the non-optional plugins in the guide and I don't have this problem. It's always possible, of course, that a plugin file has been corrupted. Are you using additional mods that are not in the guide?

bitdman, thanks for the link. Followed that guide to remove the error entry in the formid list, re-create my bashed patch, and everything still working fine. woohoo! :)

Going to slowly add more of the mods in the guide back in.

Edited by perrob

I got some strange problem. I installed Fallout 3 mods according to the guide. But when I start the game no mouse cursor is showing up. I'm using Windows 8.1 and Game Companion for windowed mode.

Are you using a bashed patch? If so, un tick it and try the game again.

I had a problem during combat that instead of moving smoothly, enemies would jitter back and forth then jump ahead, then repeat. When this happens they are invincible; they won't take any damage. I searched and found this is a known problem with some systems caused by CASM. I'll put a note in the guide about the problem. I don't think the problem affects all users, and I've never seen this in the Fallout NV version of CASM.

I had a problem during combat that instead of moving smoothly, enemies would jitter back and forth then jump ahead, then repeat. When this happens they are invincible; they won't take any damage. I searched and found this is a known problem with some systems caused by CASM. I'll put a note in the guide about the problem. I don't think the problem affects all users, and I've never seen this in the Fallout NV version of CASM.

The only time I get this to happen is when I use F8 to quick load.  I found that exiting to the main menu and loading my last quicksave works fine.